Simulation speed completely off?

• Am I the only one thinking the 1:1 simulation speed is completely off?

When flying the big MB 339 for example: A turbine jet that can be flown at walking speed? Landing like a trainer? I don't think so.

The Pilatus PC-6 can me made so slow with flaps that it basically stands in the air.

I got planes of all sorts, jets high deckers, rather big 3D machines but none of them can made to crawl like in RC8.

It is supposed to be a sim to learn stuff but if you try to apply that to the real world it would lead to a stall and crash in 100% of the cases.

Yes I changed simulation speed to 1.3 for now but why do I have to (and it is still off because the planes are too fast then - just landing speed seems a bit better).

I play in VR btw - but that shouldn't really matter.

Helis feel a bit better btw. They all come with 10kilowatt motors but other than that they are usable.

• There are quite a few settings within the main menu and each model that you can modify to suit your tastes. Refer to the manual for more info and/or do a bit of experimenting yourself. All part of the fun imho.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro w/Air Link, Vive Pro

• By default, aircraft are set to learn.

You can edit each of them to get more real behavior.

For example, for the MB339, move the centering a little further and increase the weight allows stalls that are impossible to catch up with.

Edit MB339

• I managed to get the PC-6 to a point where it feels better by reducing wingspan and adding a lot of weight. In my opinion the models should fly as close as possible to the real thing by default though. It is a simulator after all!

You don't learn flying with training on hot airballons looking like a plane.

• We have several PC-6 models in our club. In various sizes.

In addition I can watch the pattern from the military airfield very often out of the kitchen. (Swiss Air Force)

My humble opinion:

The RC8 model comes very close to a real model in this size.

Compared to bigger models and to the real thing it seems to be a bit to agile and to fast.

Sorry, IMHO ;)

• I guess we agree to disagree then. Our main towing plane in the club is this PC-6 and yes the swiss v ersion flies over the field too. Maybe it is because I play in VR and something is off for that reason but I have yet to see it land at walking speed unless there is a lot of wind.

Did you try the MB 339. If that is how a heavy turbine jet lands I have to sell my EDF versions having half the weight and buy a heavy turbine version so I can land it like a piper.

If this is deemed correct I guess I wasted my money. :(

• Beside the problem that I do not find any MB 339 I tried the Mirage 2000.

She easily reaches 200 kmh in horizontal flight. All but slow for a 1.55 meter model.

So your problem seems to be the VR or any other component.

Said Mirage is an as good example as any. Does it feel right to you? Top speed is irrelevant. Try land it at slow speed! You can land it at crawling speed. A heavy turbine Mirage!

I got a 2.7kg light 90mm EDF Mirage 2000 and while it can land slow flying high alpha it can never fly as slow as the heavy big one on RC8. If flying would just be as easy as in this sim, I'd never need to repair a model.

• Sorry, not my speciality.

I just know that a delta can be landed nose up at a crawl.

There's no magic to deltas. As they get heavier, they get faster. Yes you can go high alpha and land slow but not as extreme like this and what makes things worse: You don't even have to fly it high alpha to get it crawl in RC8.

Mine lands faster than this and the nose is that far up that I actually have to add down elevator so the wheels make contact before the tail woth my real model. The mirage in RC8 has wings filled with helium.

• I've wondered this as well, but with some experimentation, I've noticed an interesting thing.

When you're view from a fixed location, your settings on the camera make a pretty big difference.

Setting the camera to keep ground in view or not, and how much it zooms on your plane makes a pretty big difference.
    Things appear to move slower when your camera is following and zooming in on the airplane. If you stop the camera from following, but set the video the widest view of your flying area, things look and feel more comparable to scale.

I wouldn't be surprised if VR also gives a different feeling depending on scenery and other settings.