Military Cargo Planes???

• Hi folks, I just thought I would finally start trying to talk too some of you and get some input or advice on some things. I am a bit introverted and shy. I have been using AEROFLY FS2020 for over a year (98 hours) which I know is no big deal. I have also however been participating in the new MSFS BETA testing program along with many other people, so that has taken a lot of my time. I just wanna say how much I do love Aerofly FS2020 and appreciate the simplicity of it. I love Microsoft's new Simulator as well, obviously. MSFS is quite a leap forward but no need to get into that. I will state that I am sticking with Aerofly FS2020 well into the foreseeable future along with MSFS. I had no choice but to throw Xplane 11 into the back seat because I just could not make the FR.'s work in VR. I think Xplane11 is a great flight simulator but I always seem to be spending more time making rendering adjustment's then actually flying the sim. Anyway, I have downloaded all three DK's from your site and look forward to making my first plane(s). My Question is, would it be reasonably possible for me to create both a C5-Galaxy, and a C17, Globemaster for AEROFLY FS2020. And if so, could I get some advice on how to approach it. I know and understand flight simulators inside and out but I certainly still have a "LOT" to learn. Thanks kindly to you all and stay safe.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 18363) (18362.19h1_release.19031-1202)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Alienware

System Model: Alienware Area-51m

BIOS: 1.10.0 (type: UEFI)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz (16 CPUs), ~3.6GHz

Memory: 32768MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 32570MB RAM

Page File: 15360MB used, 24634MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB

Total Physical Memory 31.8 GB

Available Physical Memory 22.7 GB

Total Virtual Memory 39.1 GB

Available Virtual Memory 24.0 GB

Page File Space 7.25 GB

Edited once, last by BoomerApollo (July 19, 2020 at 6:09 PM).

• Then you need to make friends with Jet-Pack (developer) to help with the TMD files and the parts of the SDK that are missing or vague.

I would absolutely love to see a C-17 Globemaster III flying in AFS2. This may possibly be the most challenging thing you can do - build an flying aircraft for AFS2. Several experienced designers have attempted, but, most gave up in frustration.

Larrylynx in the only successful user Dev that has built a flying helicopter. He also built an outstanding F-104G. Both of these aircraft are very near payware standards, but, both were generously made available as freeware.

Another user, Argivo, has built a fixed wing aircraft without hardly any fanfare. The Dornier DO27 arrived as a total surprise one day, and more than a year later the he made an announcement the the CASA 212 would be added in a week or so. I think he is working on a mid 50s Messerschmitt Spanish Jet trainer, but, he doesn't make progress reports.

We also have a glider designed by a user turned dev, this is the Grunau Baby by Kai503. Kai was the prime developer for the JustFlight Turbo Arrow III/IV for AFS2.

We had a Spitfire that was making excellent progress and poof gone and also a P-40 that was flying but the designer couldn't get the landing gear to retract properly and also gave up in frustration.

There was an very experienced FSX developer that wanted to bring his portfolio over to AFS2 very early on, but, he said the learning curve was just too steep and the SDK failed to address key design features. He gave up with completing any porting over. He was working on the landing gear when he quit.

Dino Catteneo ported his SIAI Marchetti S-211 Italian Military jet over successfully, but, vanished without attempting a second model of his many successful freeware and payware aircraft for FSX/P3D. jet-Pack actually completed the landing gear to make the plane flyable.

Our most prolific user dev is the supplier of close to 100 models ported from various sources. This is Krzysztof Kaniewski, username Krzysk. Krzysk uses a Github home for this models, but, unfortunately has not been present in the forum for almost a year. He evidently understands how the IPACS design system works as he has introduced many outstanding complex models. The downside is he only does the minimum work inside the cockpit and has produced a very few with full 3D panels and interiors.

It seems that the landing gear retraction and extension was somehow involved in every aborted design attempt. The design is evidently so foreign that FSX/XP designers just can't seem to grasp the concept or just simple get so frustrated with the lack of assistance that they throw in the towel and move on.

I certainly wish you the best in your endeavor and I do wish IPACS would welcome you with some early assistance.

Best Regards,

Ray

• First things first:

Please refer to the Microsoft product with the official name MSFS and not with the made-up name "FS2020". Our product is called Aerofly FS 2020 and it would confuse a lot of users if you also refer to the MS flight sim as FS 2020. It is not officially called that, so please stick with the official names to avoid confusion! Please edit your initial thread post accordingly, thanks.

----

Hi,

A C17 would be amazing in Aerofly :) We actually also had this idea but we didn't start this project yet. So now would be the right time to add this as a user made aircraft :)

The wiki should have you covered for the majority of the process:

SDK Intro: https://www.aerofly.com/dokuwiki/doku.php/sdk:intro

Aircraft workshop: https://www.aerofly.com/dokuwiki/doku.…rcraft:tutorial

Aircraft dev.: https://www.aerofly.com/dokuwiki/doku.…ft:introduction

The development of a new aircraft is not particularly hard. It just takes time. That being said: It is much much easier to add a basic general aviation aircraft than an airliner or a military aircraft with airliner like cockpits or a complex helicopter.

I've helped many of our external developers to get started which Ray kindly mentioned. Of course I can also help you by setting up the main physics parts. Particularly the landing gear and basic aerodynamic setup is something that most new developers struggle with. In Aerofly FS you have the power to do everything. But that means you also have to do basic things like setting up the landing gear dampers, physical gear retraction, etc. You can't cheat and just call the gear "Gear" and hope for the Aerofly engine to recognize that this should indeed be the landing gear with wheels.

I can't really help you with the creation of the 3D model. I know the tmd very well but i only have basic knowledge about the 3D models.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. There are several developers in the forum who are very helpful people

• Thank you all for the info. I will make an attempt on this after I have practiced with smaller more doable aircrafts. I realize now the extent of its difficulty but it wont hurt to try. I also realize that the folks who have attempted this before were way more advanced and experienced users then myself but that will not detract me.

• Official Post

Remember someone has always been the first at everything, except Orville and Wilbur.

Except the history books are still not sure if the Wright brothers actually were the first one to fly a powered aircraft: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claims_to…_powered_flight

They just may have documented it much better. Doesn't mean they are technically the first.

• I bet if there was someone who did come before, they were in France 1900'ish. Someone once told me that aircraft development was at its highest before there was aircraft and the French were quite active in the beginning and that there bones scatter the French country side.

• Except the history books are still not sure if the Wright brothers actually were the first one to fly a powered aircraft: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claims_to…_powered_flight

They just may have documented it much better. Doesn't mean they are technically the first.

Wrong, they were absolutely the first with powered flight at Kitty Hawk, NC on that December day of 1903. Not to say some guy in South America or France, or some other place on earth wasn't doing the same thing in their neighborhood on the same day, or maybe a few years earlier, but didn't think it was important enough to invite the media. 8o

• Remember someone has always been the first at everything, except Orville and Wilbur.

You missed the point I was making, not whether they were first, second, or last, just that it was not one or other of them that got the credit. Usually, someONE is first, not two brothers.

• Mark,

Do you have anything in mind for a first try at airplane building? Are you thinking round dials or square glass in the panel? Fixed gear or retractable? High speed touring or putt putt around? Just wondering what you are wondering.