• I have noticed these days that the R22 apparently flew slower than the other planes, so I did a test by placing the R22 and the cessna 172 to fly at the same speed (100kts) and the same distance, and even so the cessna made the journey in half the time of R22, maybe this is a bug in the game

• jp_costa July 29, 2020 at 3:08 AM

Changed the title of the thread from “Jp” to “R22”.
  • I did a mobile R 22 run from SFO to Buchanan in 25.75 mins, 27.6nm in a route to give a zero wind ground speed of about 64.3 knots. All the time it was indicating 91 knots IAS at 4,000 feet on 23” of manifold pressure and I was cutting the corner a bit using the VOR.

Something is wrong. I hadn’t noticed this before, unfortunately the mobile R 22 is so tame/dead that I almost never use it.

• I did the test on the runway 03L - 21R of Travis air base, the runway is approximately 2.1 mn, and I covered this distance in 2 minutes with the r22, this gives an average speed of approximately 55 kts, being that in the panel of the r22 was scoring 100 kts, I hope they fix this bug

• I did the test on the runway 03L - 21R of Travis air base, the runway is approximately 2.1 mn, and I covered this distance in 2 minutes with the r22, this gives an average speed of approximately 55 kts, being that in the panel of the r22 was scoring 100 kts, I hope they fix this bug

Did you take into account windspeed? I was flying 100 kIAS yesterday in an R44 and the GPS was reading groundspeed of 60KIAS.

• The flight info at the top reads ground speed too, you know :)

The R22 is a slow aircraft in reality. It doesn't have that much power and is a small and light helicopter.

The upcoming EC135 will get you places much quicker! 150kt indicated is pretty quick :)

H I hated the r22 until I started flying it ( for real) and now I love the aircraft, its hard work and squirrel like to fly but once you get the feel its like a little go cart , go anywhere but it likes a solo pilot. I thankyou for adding it to this sim as you have given it a beautiful treatment. I cruise at 75 to 85 KIAS and its plenty fast enough !

Edited once, last by Bellah1z (July 29, 2020 at 7:59 AM).

• Checked with zero wind and the sim Running the R 22 or the airspeed Indication does give a speed error.

It might be something to do with program overloading, Aerofly runs slow in excessively low performance devices. I turned off the interactive cockpit and advanced movements and got about 60.33 knots real time against 84 indicated, a small improvement. That setting also gave more reliable throttle and anti torque/rudder slider response and a much more responsive interaction with device tilt for cyclic control.

Helicopters are more prone to attitude and rotor wash effect airspeed position errors but they might be expected to produce under indication, I remember stalling a Cherokee with full flap and tons of power (don’t try this folks) and being impressed with it flying ‘at’ 40 mph (not knots), the pitot probe was pointing half way up!

My device is a three year old iPad pro, it is more powerful than cheap new iPads but it will be showing its age some time.

I tried a fast new Android Sony Xperia 1 phone using the autopilot at a steady speed flying towards a waypoint with zero wind and got exactly 66.685 knots true in real time against 91 indicated (23” m.p. at 1,300 feet).

Edited once, last by Overloaded: Old PA 28 Cherokee 180/Archer had a mph ASI. (July 29, 2020 at 11:29 AM).

• Similar happens in other flight sims. If it is able to only render 45 images per second but for vr 90 are needed, every image is shown twice per second. It is clear that this will double the flight time.

Regards,

Thomas

i7-14700KF @ 5.6 GHz, Geforce RTX 4090, 32MB RAM, 1TB SSD M.2, 1TB SSD M.2, 2TB SSD M.2, 32" Monitor 4K, Pimax Crystal

• Official Post

Similar happens in other flight sims. If it is able to only render 45 images per second but for vr 90 are needed, every image is shown twice per second. It is clear that this will double the flight time.

And this doesn't happen in Aerofly. If Aerofly runs above 30 FPS then the physics speed is not affected by the graphics performance. It would be very bad programming if the sim would speed up or slow down along with the framerate. I'm pretty sure other simulators behave similarly, up to a certain minimum framerate.

• Official Post

@TomB: What you describe is not the reason for the slow physics. If Aerofly FS does not achieve 30 FPS ( for whatever reason, e.g. either graphics too slow or compute thread takes too long ) we reduce the number of simulation steps and also the simulation delta time is lower than the actual frame time required to get 100% simulation speed. In our PC version this rarely happens. On mobile it might happen more frequently if users set too high graphics quality or if the devices themselves throttle down due to heat.

• Could 'reducing the number of simulation steps' explain why in intense critical moments such as the aeroplane flare, the mobile sim seems to ignore (or need fresh slider off/on inputs) some rudder and throttle slider inputs? In real world flying nothing would have higher priority than control response fidelity (ignoring some crazy Airbus flight computer interventions).

As I mentioned before turning down FS2020 sim advanced settings made the R 22 more lively.

A more hyperactive mobile R 22 would be an enormous improvement, thanks Torsten and Jan for your attention.

• @Overloaded: On iOS and Android we can't really simulate faster or react to user input faster than the current frame rate. So if we do not achieve our goal of 60 FPS or more, the resulting simulation will always be a little 'sluggish'. On iOS, we can pretty much achieve >= 45 FPS on most devices and under most circumstances. On Android this is a little bit trickier. But keep in mind this can happen on the PC version as well if you are flying over high polygon areas like New York. Some PCs just do not maintain 30 FPS here and will slow down as well.

• And this doesn't happen in Aerofly. If Aerofly runs above 30 FPS then the physics speed is not affected by the graphics performance. It would be very bad programming if the sim would speed up or slow down along with the framerate. I'm pretty sure other simulators behave similarly, up to a certain minimum framerate.

https://www.x-plane.com/kb/the-simulat…f-time-is-slow/

Regards,

Thomas

i7-14700KF @ 5.6 GHz, Geforce RTX 4090, 32MB RAM, 1TB SSD M.2, 1TB SSD M.2, 2TB SSD M.2, 32" Monitor 4K, Pimax Crystal

• My Android (top) fast Sony Xperia 1 phone shows the frame rate in FS2020 so I tried two different setups.

With everything in 2020 turned down (except pixel density, I won’t compromise there!) in clear weather over the ocean with no land in sight it gave 30.14 fps.

With everything turned up and two low 50% cloud coverage layers it got 30.14 fps. Flying through the San Francisco built up area at low level it gave 30.08 fps at the lowest.

Adjusting the sim settings did not make the mobile R 22 sim run significantly faster in a (top) fast new Android phone.

From my speeds

30.14 fps is the basic FS2020 R 22 sim‘ frame rate speed.

30.14 fps/60 fps = 0.50233

This looks like a chosen 50% simulation frame rate?

66.685 knots/91 knots = 0.73 observed simulation run speed rate.

Some wandering thoughts follow🙄

30.14 fps divided by 0.73 observed simulation run speed rate gives 41.14 frame rate/speed rate.

(41.14/60 = 0.69 or 69% of an ideal 60 fps).

0.50233’ ^0.5 = 0.709 or 71%.

Similar?

• The flight info at the top reads ground speed too, you know :)

The R22 is a slow aircraft in reality. It doesn't have that much power and is a small and light helicopter.

The upcoming EC135 will get you places much quicker! 150kt indicated is pretty quick :)

The R22 has been a really fun aircraft to use in the game since it was added. It’s a unique one for the game since it’s a helicopter, and real fun to use and get some scenic shots.

But the EC135.. now you’re talking! I’m really excited for this new helicopter!

Is there an estimated date of when this will be added? And can there be an RAF Police livery?

Edited once, last by MasterOneLew (July 30, 2020 at 4:16 PM).

• Eureka

With frame rate off and maxed out the phone gave 59.7 fps flying through the SFO built up area at low level.

Turn off the frame rate limit for the R 22!

I always understood the frame rate limit was a cap on not calculating the sim’s functions above 60 fps?

Edited once, last by Overloaded (July 30, 2020 at 4:59 PM).