Monitor advice wide screen or triple

• Hello to one and all, I have a new pc arriving in the next 2 weeks.

Nvida RTX 2080 Super . Advice on monitor single wide screen or triple

My budget is £1000 looking at these monitors

Acer XR382CQKbmijqphuzx 37.5 Inch WQHD Curved

BenQ EX3501R 35 Inch Ultra WQHD 100 Hz HDR

AOC AGON AG352UCG6 35

Or triple iiyama GB2760QSU-B1 thin bezel

Or any advice will be appreciated

The PC will only be used for Aerofly and Car Racing sim only

I will probably purchase from Amazon, ultra fast returns.

I am thinking dead pixel

Thank you all

PC Spec

Intel i7 Skylake 6700K 4Ghz CPU

Akasa Heat Sink & Fan

Gigabyte Z170-HD3P Motherboard

NVidia GTX 1080 DDR 5 8Gb Graphics

16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury DDR4 2400MHz

Iiyama 27" Prolite 2790HS x 3

Samsung 1TB SSD 850 EVO Series

Samsung 1TB SSD 860 EVO Series

DVD Re-Writer

Lan

USB2.0/3.0/3.1

Aerocool Deluxe Midi Tower Case

Bequiet 700w PSU

Windows 10 Operating System 64 Bit

• Advice on monitor single wide screen or triple

I'm no hardware expert.

I use an Asus 35 "curved TUF Gaming VG35VQ - and are very satisfied.

TUF Gaming VG35VQ Gaming Monitor – 35 inch WQHD (3440x1440), 100Hz, Extreme Low Motion Blur™, Adaptive-Sync,1ms (MPRT), Curved

https://www.asus.com/uk/Gaming/TUF-Gaming-VG35VQ/

• If you prefer screens for car racing go for a low priced option and use the rest of the budget for a VR headset for Aerofly FS2.

Especially for flightsimulators VR is so much better....

Regards,

Peter Splinter

i5-7400@3,4 GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660 Super, Pico 4, Quest 2 , 'Vintage' Pro Flight Trainer, X52 Pro, VKB pedals

• As long as you go straight, all will be fine. If you go a curve with an angle, you still will feel good. Just try to ommit turns only in the vertical axis only.

Beside of that: with some training a lot of the Nausea sensitivity will disappear - so my experience.

Cheers, Thomas

• Some people have to build up their VR time to avoid nausea, most of us get used to it very quickly.
    A 3D shooter with all it's fast action is a lot different then flying a plane, you are moving around in a shooter a lot while you can sit still in a plane with the steady cockpit around you while only the world 'outside' is moving....

Just get a second hand WMR or Rift headset for a few hundred bucks to give it a try!

Regards,

Peter Splinter

i5-7400@3,4 GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660 Super, Pico 4, Quest 2 , 'Vintage' Pro Flight Trainer, X52 Pro, VKB pedals

Edited once, last by PjotR22 (August 23, 2020 at 7:02 PM).

• Remember that there is no cylindrical projection in ordinary PC sims like Aero. As we look to one side our eyes and head face the new view, the sim is like a camera facing straight ahead and the image towards the sides is stretched. With a view zoomed out for a widescreen this effect is exaggerated.

Consider a 75 degree view from the side to straight ahead, the Tan for 25, 50 and 75 degrees are 0.47, 1.19 and 3.73.

The central 25 degrees would get 0.47/3.73 or 13% of that half of the screen

The middle 25 degrees would get (1.19 - 0.47)/3.73 or 20% of that half of the screen.

The outer 25 degrees would get (3.73 -1.19)/3.73 or 68% of that half of the screen.

That is why some sim views show a gigantic Cessna door frame and stretched pancake buildings on the periphery.

Here is Byron rwy 30 with rwy 23 visible to the left, 70 degrees of difference. This is cropped from my 16:9 screen.

The outer view is just wasted in distortion. Wide screens really need a form of cylindrical projection.

• I run my game on a laptop these days, but having checked out a few of the monitors in a nearby electrical appliance store for my wife I did love the curved screens. I would definitely buy one of those if I was in the market for a new screen. :)

• Agree with all the comments re VR. It knocks spots off any multi/wide monitor solution I've ever tried.

Also agree with the comments re Oculus/Facebook. My current Rift S will be my last Oculus device, unless this decision is reversed, but that's no problem. Other options are available.

• what holds me back is the fear of nausea.

VR nausea is a possibility when either 1) you do a flight maneuver that would generate a change in forces on your body, or 2) your frame rates are too low, causing confusion with what your brain expects to see.

- when flying level and constant speed, you can look around with little nausea risk

- if you fly like a commercial pilot (smooth, gradual maneuvers), also little nausea risk

- if you fly like an aerobatic pilot (rolls, loops, etc), nausea is likely for first-timers - might want to keep those flights short (10 min)

Being able to naturally scan the horizon and look overhead in the F-18 is amazing, particularly when inverted over an airport 8)

• Aerofly doesn’t need a super high end gaming PC to play on. Part of the reason why it’s on mobile too

• I have both an HMD for VR and three 21" Acer HD screens ($110 each) since I can connect all of them from an Nvidia RTX2070 (the HMD, a Reverb, needs a Display Port). When I am using the HMD for VR, the three screens are available as well and are canted at about 30 degrees to each other for a total of 90 degrees. I can run a wide screen configuration (3x1920x1080) but of course there are bezels in between.

• Thank you everyone top of my list is

Samsung LC49RG90SSUXEN 49" Curved LED Gaming Monitor - Super Ultra Wide Dual WQHD 5120 x 1440, 120Hz, Freesync, Gsync Compatible, HDMI, 2 x Displayport, USB

PC Spec

Intel i7 Skylake 6700K 4Ghz CPU

Akasa Heat Sink & Fan

Gigabyte Z170-HD3P Motherboard

NVidia GTX 1080 DDR 5 8Gb Graphics

16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury DDR4 2400MHz

Iiyama 27" Prolite 2790HS x 3

Samsung 1TB SSD 850 EVO Series

Samsung 1TB SSD 860 EVO Series

DVD Re-Writer

Lan

USB2.0/3.0/3.1

Aerocool Deluxe Midi Tower Case

Bequiet 700w PSU

Windows 10 Operating System 64 Bit

• 5120 x 1440

That's 7.3M pixels that your 2080 will have to push which is 2 WQHD monitors side-by-side (2550x1440). Aerofly will probably still run smooth but you might encounter low frame rates with Car Racing sims and MSFS.