ah64a WIP..Please use the release version

• You can attach weapons and missiles to your aircraft, this is not against the rules. You could also fire them but at some point you'll have to put a caution message on the download to make children and their parents aware that this may not be a product for them. I'm not sure where the line is drawn here and different countries have different rules, too. But this is your aircraft we're not stopping you from putting some external things on it.

• Any Apaches drivers or mechs out there ????????????? don't be shy, we won't judge

Do you know an Apache driver or mech ??????????????? someone must know one

Would like to know what the audio warnings are so I can add them

Classified by Boeing - sorry mate

X-Plane 12.x | DCS 2.5.7 | War Thunder | Aerofly FS4

Win11-x64 | Lenovo Legion T7 34LMZ5 | Intel i7-10700K @3.6GHz | Kingston FuryX RGB 32GB DDR4 PC3733 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 3TB M2 PCI 4x | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti Vision OC | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Reverb G2 V2 | Lenovo Legion Y25g-30 360hz

• Hi Guys

Just uploaded update 5 as I need some help...... CAUTION..... it may not work, which is why I need your help

I have been putting together a second livery for the Apache and all was going well but I am now unable to get it to work in FS2, it just freezes on load. This is also the same for any of the Apache updates. Pressing Esc will take you back to the main menu so all ok there. I would be grateful if someone could see if they experience the same error. If not then this would eliminate the Apache and I then need to look elsewhere for my error.

https://flight-sim.org/filebase/index…pache-update-5/

Many thanks

Steve

• Hi Steve,

Same thing here after loading the Apache (with update 4), I get a black screen, escape helps, R22 loads fine.

When I minimize the black screen I get the sound of the Apache which isn't there in full (black) screen.

Will try update 5 later but it seems something changed with an AFS2 update because update 4 worked fine here earlier this week...

Regards,

Peter Splinter

i5-7400@3,4 GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660 Super, Pico 4, Quest 2 , 'Vintage' Pro Flight Trainer, X52 Pro, VKB pedals

Edited once, last by PjotR22 (November 7, 2020 at 4:04 PM).

• With Apache v5 I don't seem to get the black screen but the sim just doesn't move. I can get in and out of Dev Cam, revert back to menus no problem. Both the original and new Royal Paint job seem to cause the sim to freeze and stutter differently. Sometimes I can load into 1st person view and yet sometimes the Apache doesn't load at all.

• Pretty sure that this has to do with the performance savings related to the EC 135 helicopter on mobile. Previously we used a higher internal physics update rate. Now that has been reduced to the same as the airplane update rate. Physical connections that are really stiff and barely worked before will now blow up to infinity within milliseconds and the sim detects that resets the aircraft. This death loop is what's causing the black screen as the graphics doesn't get valid data for rendering the aircraft.

If this is the case during aircraft development you have to decrease the joint stiffness (K and D values) of all connections until the issue goes away. The reason behind this is that the combination of high K and D values and very low masses (e.g. K>100000N/m and Mass < 1kg) causes oscillations of very high frequency which cannot be resolved by the physical time steps.

If you're using our new turboengine simulation that too can blow up to infinity if the "Rho" values are set too high. In that case the engine computes a very quick pressure increase and the pressure starts oscillating eventually blowing up to infinity.

I'll take a look at the chopper. Over the years you kinda get a gut feeling to detect the trouble making joint or engine parts.

• Thanks for the replies.

I am aware of a change to the helicopter coding by IPACS and this is probably the issue as I received an update from Steam yesterday and thats when the problems started. What confuses me is the Lynx uses the same rotor parameters and it works fine. Master Obi jan is looking into the matter for me. Don't we all just love coding X/

Once this is sorted I only need to add a MASE pod to the Royal Paint model and fine tune the handling ( little more than fine tune ;)) and she's good to go. Still need a manual and paintkit but they will be done pretty soon and released at the same time

Thanks again

Steve

• That explains a lot, not for me but I think Steve will get it. :)

Tried loading in OpenGL instead of Vulkan, now I get a black screen with sound or a freezed cockpit view with no sound.

It seems Steve has got more work to do after this AFS2 update... :(

Regards,

Peter Splinter

i5-7400@3,4 GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660 Super, Pico 4, Quest 2 , 'Vintage' Pro Flight Trainer, X52 Pro, VKB pedals

• Alright, it's back in the air again.

The issues were caused by two multibody_joint for the left and right gear leg.

I changed this:

Code
                <[multibody_joint][JointFuselageRightGearLeg][]
                    <[string8][Body0][Fuselage]>
                    <[string8][Body1][RightGearLeg]>
                    <[tmvector3d][X0][0.0 1.0 0.0]>
                    <[tmvector3d][R0][2.2155 -0.5678 -1.1931]>
                    <[float64][Kp][550000.0]>
                    <[float64][Kd][11000.0]>
                    <[uint32][Type][0]>
                >

To that:

Code
                <[multibody_joint][JointFuselageRightGearLeg][]
                    <[string8][Body1][RightGearLeg]>
                    <[tmvector3d][X0][0.0 1.0 0.0]>
                    <[tmvector3d][R0][2.2155 -0.5678 -1.1931]>
                    <[float64][Kp][550000.0]>
                    <[float64][Kd][1100.0]>
                    <[uint32][Type][0]>
                >

Just decreasing the Kd value by a factor of 10.

And with that it works already.

I also changed some of the other joints where there is no flexibility needed.

E.g. on the vertical tail:

Code
                <[multibody_joint][JointFuselageVerticalTail][]
                    <[string8][Body1][VerticalTail]>
                    <[tmvector3d][X0][1.0 0.0 0.0]>
                    <[tmvector3d][R0][ -9.42614 0.0 -0.39688 ]>
                    <[float64][Kp][3000000.0]>
                    <[float64][Kd][120000.0]>
                    <[uint32][Type][1]>
                >

I changed it to

Code
                <[multibody_joint][JointFuselageVerticalTail][]
                    <[string8][Body1][VerticalTail]>
                    <[tmvector3d][X0][1.0 0.0 0.0]>
                    <[tmvector3d][R0][ -9.42614 0.0 -0.39688 ]>
                    <[float64][Kp][0.0]>
                    <[float64][Kd][0.0]>
                    <[uint32][Type][1]>
                    <[string8][InputLock][1.0]>
                >

Which locks the joints which lowers the computation requirements and makes it pretty much impossible for the joint to ever explode. Not something you can do on the gear, where you need it to move. But any other component, even a trimmable horizontal stabilizer can be set up in that way. And it makes it much easier because you don't have to find good K and D values :)

• Hola Steve

I wonder if the result I have obtained will be of any use to you. This has happened:

1) .- If I load Apache, the screen appears completely black.

2) .- If I have any other aircraft at a certain height flying, I go out, select the Apacho and load it, it is loaded, but it remains completely immobile at that same height. No key has any effect on it, except the Esc key, which I return to the initial screen to shit.

Kind regards: Delfin

• Hola Steve

I wonder if the result I have obtained will be of any use to you. This has happened:

1) .- If I load Apache, the screen appears completely black.

2) .- If I have any other aircraft at a certain height flying, I go out, select the Apacho and load it, it is loaded, but it remains completely immobile at that same height. No key has any effect on it, except the Esc key, which I return to the initial screen to shit.

Kind regards: Delfin

Yes that is what happens when the physics constantly reset. Thanks.

I've done some more work on the Apache and Steve now has the files to evaluate them. I think it flies alright now but I'm waiting on his feedback, being the actual helicopter pilot here :)