Why is there no Navigraph support yet?

• I find the FS Widgets tools quite useful in order to find navigation data. One sees immediately on the map which airports do have an ils. All the necessary information like altitude, frequencies, course and length of the runwas can be found. And it is a moving map that can be connected with aerofly fs2.

http://fswidgets.com/shop/index.php

Free demo restricted to the San Francisco bay area.

Regards,

Thomas

i7-14700KF @ 5.6 GHz, Geforce RTX 4090, 32MB RAM, 1TB SSD M.2, 1TB SSD M.2, 2TB SSD M.2, 32" Monitor 4K, Pimax Crystal

• Might it be considered in the future that Navigraph data could be synced with the sim for those with subscriptions? Or that the sim itself could start off with a particular Navigraph set and on the occasion be updated?

- Ashley

P3D v4 / AFS2 / XP11 | Intel i7-4790K oc'ed @ 4.6GHz | 16GB RAM | 8GB Nvidia GTX1070 | Windows 10 64-bit | Oculus Rift

• People still complain if they select a localiser only approach, see Buchanan 19R on your map.

What happened to the real world localiser approach to Buchanan in FS2? I used to enjoy it in mobile, it is offset from the runway direction. It vanished for some reason and these suspicious alternative runway ILSs appeared in both PC and mobile, they never showed up in SkyVector and are not in Thomas' map.

....Later.... The 19R localiser can be dialed in manually, I had a very pleasant run in both the 320 (using its CDU page for the first time 😀) and in the 737 using the lovely manual dial ADF. The navigation page for Buchanan still looks very odd.

Thanks for the manual nav control Airbus, I will start to use it a lot more now.

Edited once, last by Overloaded: 19R loc is available manually. (July 5, 2018 at 6:30 PM).

• Official Post

Might it be considered in the future that Navigraph data could be synced with the sim for those with subscriptions? Or that the sim itself could start off with a particular Navigraph set and on the occasion be updated?

We are using some real world database which should be equivalent to what navigraph is providing, just not updated as much, still contains a lot of information. Considering that very few users from our user base will have such a subscription it would just be a waste of programming time.

• We want to offer a solution that works for all of our customers and only a small minority of users know what Navigraph is. We need one consistent navigation database across all of our platforms to allow new features like new approach procedures or shareable user-defined routes to work on all of our platforms.

• We want to offer a solution that works for all of our customers and only a small minority of users know what Navigraph is. We need one consistent navigation database across all of our platforms to allow new features like new approach procedures or shareable user-defined routes to work on all of our platforms.

I’d beg to differ regarding “a small minority” - Navigraph is pretty much the de facto for the sim world. Why re-invent the wheel?

• Navigraph is pretty much the de facto for the sim world

I think Jet Pack means only a small minority of the flight sim world knows what Navigraph is. Of all the buyers of (for instance) FSX maybe 5% know what Navigraph is. The people who participate on forums like AVSIM simply are a small minority of the people who own a flight sim. In the dedicated die hard sim world Navigraph is indeed the de facto but that doesn't change the fact that most virtual pilots have no idea what it is.

• I guess the opposite is the case, most of the people know that for updating their navdata, they have either navigraph or navdata pro ;)

I assume that Jetpack meant that only a small minority of the aerofly flightsim world know what navigraph is ...

X-Plane 12.x | DCS 2.5.7 | War Thunder | Aerofly FS4

Win11-x64 | Lenovo Legion T7 34LMZ5 | Intel i7-10700K @3.6GHz | Kingston FuryX RGB 32GB DDR4 PC3733 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 3TB M2 PCI 4x | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti Vision OC | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Reverb G2 V2 | Lenovo Legion Y25g-30 360hz

• I think flamingpie had it right the first time.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• I think Jet Pack means only a small minority of the flight sim world knows what Navigraph is. Of all the buyers of (for instance) FSX maybe 5% know what Navigraph is. The people who participate on forums like AVSIM simply are a small minority of the people who own a flight sim. In the dedicated die hard sim world Navigraph is indeed the de facto but that doesn't change the fact that most virtual pilots have no idea what it is.

Yep, totally agree. But for those that care about Nav data (which is what the OP seems to want, as do quite a few of us), Navigraph is at least one of the obvious choices. Those simmers that aren’t really all that concerned with Nav Data and just enjoy the flying won’t care whatever solution is implemented. So, why not just implement a well known system for those of us that do care enough?

• It's not as easy as snapping your fingers, it takes quite some time to implement a connection to the outside in a way that works reliable and fast and it still creates a discrepancy between the average user and someone that has a Navigraph subscription and this could make some upcoming features unavailable for either user group. Instead of adding support for the few customers that actively use Navigraph we would prefer to offer a solution that works for everyone.

I already have a lot of questions that would pop up if we start implementing such a system:

"Will this work with either database?", "Now we have to test everything twice, once per database", "Now we have to check that everything still works after each navigation database update", "How do we save the user credentials securely so that they don't have to sign in all the time", "Do we have secure internet access protocols?", "How can we convert the navigraph database into a format that we can load quickly", "Are we even allowed to do that?", "Are we allowed to save their database locally for eternity or do we also have to check if the user is still signed in and still has a valid subscription every time aerofly is started". "What happens when there is no internet connection to check that", "How do we prevent users from copying the database from one pc to the other", "Does that work on Mac?", "Does it work on mobile?", "How big is the file size for the database, is that too big for a mobile app?", "Are they ever going to change their navigation database format and how often does it happen". "What happens to my saved flight plans or flights when I switch the database source (if that is added)", "How can I share a flight-plan to a user that doesn't have a navigraph subscription (if that feature gets added)", "What happens if two people share a cockpit (if that is added) when one of them doesn't have the navigation database, is one of them seeing a different route when flying or what?", "Would it be allowed to send that other user parts of the navigraph database to allow a synchronized flight?", "When flying on multiplayer (if this is added) and also AI traffic on (if this is added) which route is AI traffic going to pick? Will the traffic still be in sync for all machines?"...

If there is only one active navigation database for everyone there are fewer conflicts like that.

• It's not as easy as snapping your fingers, it takes quite some time to implement a connection to the outside in a way that works reliable and fast and it still creates a discrepancy between the average user and someone that has a Navigraph subscription and this could make some upcoming features unavailable for either user group. Instead of adding support for the few customers that actively use Navigraph we would prefer to offer a solution that works for everyone.

I already have a lot of questions that would pop up if we start implementing such a system:

"Will this work with either database?", "Now we have to test everything twice, once per database", "Now we have to check that everything still works after each navigation database update", "How do we save the user credentials securely so that they don't have to sign in all the time", "Do we have secure internet access protocols?", "How can we convert the navigraph database into a format that we can load quickly", "Are we even allowed to do that?", "Are we allowed to save their database locally for eternity or do we also have to check if the user is still signed in and still has a valid subscription every time aerofly is started". "What happens when there is no internet connection to check that", "How do we prevent users from copying the database from one pc to the other", "Does that work on Mac?", "Does it work on mobile?", "How big is the file size for the database, is that too big for a mobile app?", "Are they ever going to change their navigation database format and how often does it happen". "What happens to my saved flight plans or flights when I switch the database source (if that is added)", "How can I share a flight-plan to a user that doesn't have a navigraph subscription (if that feature gets added)", "What happens if two people share a cockpit (if that is added) when one of them doesn't have the navigation database, is one of them seeing a different route when flying or what?", "Would it be allowed to send that other user parts of the navigraph database to allow a synchronized flight?", "When flying on multiplayer (if this is added) and also AI traffic on (if this is added) which route is AI traffic going to pick? Will the traffic still be in sync for all machines?"...

If there is only one active navigation database for everyone there are fewer conflicts like that.

The X-Plane implementation seems pretty spot-on, e.g. “Here’s an old but workable set of Navigraph Nav Data. If you’re happy with that, cool and enjoy your flying. If you want something more current, you can subscribe to Navigraph”.

You don’t have to store credentials or anything like that - I’m almost certain Navigraph would be happy to auto-insert their data into your sim as they do with every other sim/add-on that supports it. The more the merrier for them.

From your comments above, I’d say you’re over-thinking this - a workable solution already exists for you.

• Why Aerofly has no update from Navigraph like other flight sim? I will be more useful and in this way could be imported routes from SimBrief also. All the flight sim use Navigraph, FSX does. Why Aerofly live in their own world? The sim must be IMO an open world, and not a box. Guess this what does a flight sim to be popular. ?(

• Aerofly needs to run on all kinds of platforms and entirely offline and the default navigation database should not cost money for the user in form of a monthly subscription. Unfortunately this is quite a niche feature for only a small group of power users which is why this is not implemented yet. We aim to make the default product as good as possible without external dependencies and this feature would not benefit 99% of customers. Features like these also require constant maintenance on our side to keep it working which takes away development time elsewhere.

As far as I know FSX doesn't have that as default feature either, I think that comes with mods. But I could be wrong.
    In my personal opinion this feature alone is not going to affect popularity.

• Well plugin or not, I mean even X Plane 11 has a plugin installed for Navigraph chart, but the question is : How real do you wanna make a simulator if it isn t real, or as much close to reality? There are a lot a simmers that prefer to spend time to program a route, as closer to reality (that s why is a simulator for), and not only to sit 3 to 10 hours in front af monitor pc looking at the cockpit. The beautiful stay in details . But... repeat : this is only my opinion. And belive me, it will affect in time the popularity, because more a project is open source, more are interested in. That s why FSX was so popular, that s why MSFS and X- plane is so popular. The only reason I buy Aerofly FS 4 was for the Airbus 320 from Aerosoft. And that s why are on the market flight simulators, and there are also flight games. Now I don t say that Aerofly is in the second category, but somewere in the middle right now.