• I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge as to the suitability or otherwise of the recently announced Occulus Quest 2? This new device claims improvements over the existing version and is at an attractive price. It also comes with a cable for direct connection to a PC. As a complete VR newbie I would like to try and understand if this would be a good route in to using AFS2 in VR mode?

• Oculus Quest 2 is likely to become the obvious choice for those who don't want want to pay too much and who don't mind getting a facebook account (and linking it to their gaming activity).

Its resolution is very nice, which is a very important point for simmers.

However, if you are a complete beginner, you should be aware that such resolution come to a price in terms of GPU. Even in the context of AFS2, you want 90 FPS, there is a massive amount of pixels to refresh, if you don't have at least a GTX 1080 I suggest you get a RTX 3070 (or more) when it will be released. Which makes the whole setup not that cheap. The question is therefore, considering you have to spend a lot of money anyway, maybe that makes more sense to spend a couple hundreds euros more and go directly for the HP Reverb G2 which is clearly superior.

Also, it seems from early tests (unconfirmed) that the performances of Oculus Quest 2 are slightly lower than those of the HP Reverb G2 (in terms of FPS on a given PC), even though the resolution of the G2 is better. That might be explained by the fact that Oculus Link requires the GPU to compress images before their transmission to the headset.

Edited 2 times, last by haltux (September 29, 2020 at 3:05 PM).

• Thanks very much for your advice. I have a GTX 1070 so I may be pushing it a bit, although I get very good FPS using a standard 2d screen. (Up to 200 with Vulkan enabled). You have given me much additional food for thought. Thanks both.

I have a GTX 1070 and an Oculus Rift CV1 (I am planning to update both very soon to RTX 3080/HP Reverb). I pushed supersampling to high values to "emulate" higher resolutions, to check performances. It's OK in AFS2, I would not advice to buy one in this context but if you have it it does the job.

It mainly depends on how tolerant you are to motion smoothing. When the game can't provide 90 FPS, it drops to 45 FPS, but the system emulate 90 FPS by generating missing frames to make smooth motion. People might notice it more or less. It works great at smoothing head movement, but if you fly fast at low altitude, the landscape movement are not properly interpolated and you can definitely notice artefacts. In a civilian flight sim it is really not that bad.

It's when the frame rate drop under 45 FPS that it becomes sickening. But that should not happen in AFS2 with a decent CPU and a GTX 1070. You can forget MSFS, though.

Edited once, last by haltux (September 29, 2020 at 6:17 PM).