• I remember a while ago IPACS saying that the original Quest was underpowered to attempt to run Aerofly Mobile in VR.

The Quest 2 however packs a lot more horsepower with its XR2 chip. I wondered if IPACS had considered bringing Aerofly Mobile to the platform?

Being able to throw the headset on untethered and go for a quick flight would be great. There's also the possibility to use the Quest's hand tracking to make it a controllerless experience.

It would be the only real flight sim on the platform it was possible to port. Facebook had 2 million Quest 2s built. There's a decent sized market out there.

AeroScenery - Easily create photoreal scenery for Aerofly

• Having used the Quest 2 via oculus link to my PC based AFS2 for the last few days I have to say I am very impressed with the VR experience. I am particularly struck by the clarity and the immediacy of the cockpit models and the feeling of being there. I have tried a number of other titles in VR and as always AFS2 is my go to sim. With the popularity of the Quest 2 I wonder if the Dev’s would consider a conversion of the new mobile version for a true standalone experience?

• I don't know if the XR2 chip is powerful enough to run a VR version of Aerofly FS2021 with the almost 4K resolution to be rendered but there is indeed a big market.

But I am already using my Quest 2 wireless with Virtual Desktop and a Wifi 5Ghz 866Mbps connection to the PC for Aerofly FS2 and it's a big step up compared to my old WMR headset...The image quality and latency are as good as with the USB 3.1 link cable!

Regards,

Peter Splinter

i5-7400@3,4 GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660 Super, Pico 4, Quest 2 , 'Vintage' Pro Flight Trainer, X52 Pro, VKB pedals

• Thanks for the tip re Vitual Desktop. I read somewhere that It was necessary to side load the app on to the Quest. This looked quite complicated-is this still the case from your experience? Did you need to physically cable up via Ethernet between the PC and the router? Many thanks

• A wired/ethernet connection between PC and modem/router is recommended and my setup is like that. But I have read posts on Reddit about succesfull connects for PC>router over 2,4Ghz and PC>Quest over 5Ghz Wifi simultanously....
    You need to buy Virtual Desktop from the Quest store, not the Steam or Rift version!

After that you need to activate a developer account and install SideQuest, a lot of Youtube tutorials out there, pretty easy...

With SideQuest running and the Quest connected to a USB 2 port then update Virtual Desktop in SideQuest to add the wireless option.

Almost every Oculus or Steam application can be started wireless from the games menu in Virtual Desktop. :)

SideQuest is a place for developers/early access games/applications, there are rumors that Oculus will start a service for early access etc. by themselves coming year.

A wireless connection is not really needed when you are seated in VR but for me it's still a lot more comfortable and now I can connect a 10.000mA powerbank and use the Quest wireless for over 5 hours...

Although Virtual Desktop is a one man developer job and the wireless option is not officially supported by Oculus most users report better image clarity with VD wireless compared to the link cable....

I'm also on a long waiting list for a head mount with good comfort for long VR sessions from this small business:
    https://mvhstudios.co.uk/products/pro-h…-oculus-quest-2

Regards,

Peter Splinter

i5-7400@3,4 GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660 Super, Pico 4, Quest 2 , 'Vintage' Pro Flight Trainer, X52 Pro, VKB pedals

Edited 4 times, last by PjotR22 (December 29, 2020 at 7:48 PM).

• Excellent information Peter. Thank you for taking the time to provide some detail. I have only just started with the Quest 2 but I see the wireless option as a project for the coming new year. I like the look of custom head mount also. Many thanks indeed.

Paul

• And what is the reason ...not to use a 40 Eu cable ?

I do .. and have no problems ... we are sitting when we fly ...

no reason for extreme data rate in wireless and problems over problems :)

mfg, Jens ... Flight-Sim.org

Mein Home-Cockpit ... My Simulator Hardware

MSI PRO Z690-P DDR4 --- SI INTEL Core i7-13700F 2.1GHz LGA1700 Tray --- Palit RTX4070 JetStream 12GB DDR6 --- 16GB DDR4 PC4400 --- SSD Patriot 1TB M.2 Viper VP4300 --- Pimax Crystal

Alles fliegt irgendwie,
    fragt sich nur wielange

• But why is the Computer more than 5m away from the Simulator Seat :) :)

most times its easier to solve this problem ... i think :)

mfg, Jens ... Flight-Sim.org

Mein Home-Cockpit ... My Simulator Hardware

MSI PRO Z690-P DDR4 --- SI INTEL Core i7-13700F 2.1GHz LGA1700 Tray --- Palit RTX4070 JetStream 12GB DDR6 --- 16GB DDR4 PC4400 --- SSD Patriot 1TB M.2 Viper VP4300 --- Pimax Crystal

Alles fliegt irgendwie,
    fragt sich nur wielange

• Agreed...And for flight simulators only a Reverb G2 would be even better...

Over here the Quest 2 is also used for gaming, watching 3D movies etc. and for that it's nice to have the wireless option and better controllers.

Regards,

Peter Splinter