"Low" priced gaming laptops execute FS2 very well

• If any of you are possibly needing a new laptop for household use but want to consider spending just a little more ($300 or so) to be able to run Aerofly FS2 on it with an HP Reverb (G1 or G2) or equivalent VR HMD, it actually works well! I bought the Dell G5 SE 5505 which is all AMD (4800H CPU and 5600M GPU with Display Port 1.4 ) for $899USD and there are several otherlaptops to choose from at that price from HP or Acer - maybe others. Some are the usual Intel / Nvidia and some are mixed. I have a 9700K+RTX2070 as well for more challenging VR applications but FS2 really looks fine at 45fps with SteamVR reprojection. Using a laptop instead of a desktop gives you freedom of location - perhaps to a bigger room like for me - the family room. Just take the headset and a joystick and off you go!

• If any of you are possibly needing a new laptop for household use but want to consider spending just a little more ($300 or so) to be able to run Aerofly FS2 on it with an HP Reverb (G1 or G2) or equivalent VR HMD, it actually works well! I bought the Dell G5 SE 5505 which is all AMD (4800H CPU and 5600M GPU with Display Port 1.4 ) for $899USD and there are several otherlaptops to choose from at that price from HP or Acer - maybe others. Some are the usual Intel / Nvidia and some are mixed. I have a 9700K+RTX2070 as well for more challenging VR applications but FS2 really looks fine at 45fps with SteamVR reprojection. Using a laptop instead of a desktop gives you freedom of location - perhaps to a bigger room like for me - the family room. Just take the headset and a joystick and off you go!

Definitely, for the past 1 year I am playing Aerofly FS 2 in my Laptop( Intel i3, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA Geforce MX110 ). And I am happy to tell that with all settings high except LOW in Buildings I get constant 38-45Fps and it's really superb than other Sim's.** Though it's still not VULKAN compatible with MX110 ** but you can surely play it in OpenGL.

Even I had my another Gaming Desktop which I use for my Military training purposes.(Intel Zeon Processor, 72GB RAM, NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3080). And in this Desktop I get near about 290-300Fps at ULTRA settings which in case of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 is 50-55Fps at Ultra.

So, Yes anyone even with a PC/Laptop with the lowest Graphics Card can play AeroflyFS2 easily....:love:

Best Regards,

Pratik

Edited 2 times, last by Sparriet (October 29, 2020 at 9:51 AM).

• Military training purposes.(Intel Zeon Processor, 72GB RAM, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 3080). And in this Desktop I get more than 290-300Fps at ULTRA settings which in case of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 is 50-55Fps at Ultra.

That is a very stark comparison. I wonder what frame rate MSFS will hit with VR then? Also not sure what frame rates FS2 & a RTX 3090 will hit but obviously north of 300 fps. No other sim comes close.

i9-10900KF RTX 3090 64Gb Reverb G2 Saitek X-65F

• That is a very stark comparison. I wonder what frame rate MSFS will hit with VR then? Also not sure what frame rates FS2 & a RTX 3090 will hit but obviously north of 300 fps. No other sim comes close.

Definitely Yes Mr. stratospheric. Even I do wonder what will be the Frame Rate in VR with Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020..

But YES for AeroflyFS2 300Fps is not any wonder if you max out all your Computer Memory (CPU Cores, GPU Overclock-Default) only for AeroflyFS2 or any other specific application... With my new RTX 3080 I am able to achieve that while with my previous GTX 1060 I achieved 190Fps - 200Fps.. in AeroflyFS2.

So, I again give a Big HATS-OFF🤗🤗💖 to IPACS for developing such an amazing Simulator with an advanced and reliable Graphics Engine...

JUST LOVE THIS TEAM....

Best Regards,

Pratik

Edited once, last by Sparriet (October 29, 2020 at 9:52 AM).

• Definitely Yes Mr. stratospheric. Even I do wonder what will be the Frame Rate in VR with Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020..

But YES for AeroflyFS2 300Fps is not any wonder if you max out all your Computer Memory (CPU Cores, GPU Overclock-Default) only for AeroflyFS2 or any other specific application... With my new RTX 3080 I am able to achieve that while with my previous GTX 1060 I achieved 190Fps - 200Fps.. in AeroflyFS2.

So, I again give a Big HATS-OFF🤗🤗💖 to IPACS for developing such an amazing Simulator with an advanced and reliable Graphics Engine...

JUST LOVE THIS TEAM....

Definitely agree with that. I also respect their decision not to deploy weapons of any type not even in warbirds. Personally I think that would detract & distract from the 'mission' at hand despite those systems being integral to their roles.

BTW are those Flankers you drive to work every day ?

• Fact.

I run on an Acer A515 notebook with AMD A12 APU and an RX540. I've been able to run well. But it bothers me a little that the movement is not very fluid even with good frames (35-45).

With Vulkan it is excellent, very fluid, but I have no stability. Almost all flights take place on a CTD. I think my "record" was 3 flights in a row without CTD using Vulkan.

It seems to me to be something related textures or constructions, but it is difficult to know for sure what causes these CTDs here.

• Definitely agree with that. I also respect their decision not to deploy weapons of any type not even in warbirds. Personally I think that would detract & distract from the 'mission' at hand despite those systems being integral to their roles.

BTW are those Flankers you drive to work every day ?

Somewhat YES what you say about the Flankers in my DP. I do my Ground training with Aerofly and DCS so as to master my timings and moves in real life.

Best Regards,

Pratik

• I just bought a new notebook, not having gaming in mind, maybe just a little. It's an Asus Zenbook 14 with AMD Ryzen 3700 U and integrated AMD Radeon RX Vega 10 chip (not a real dedicated one, comparable to the Intel integrated chips, but a bit better suited for light gaming), 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD. After initial setup, I installed AeroFly FS2 from Steam.

Performance is ok, about 50fps in Full-HD, medium settings, Vsync on. It feels a bit better with Vulkan abd fps are a bit higher, but I miss Vsync. Looking around makes the image fall apart.

But in general, I am pleased how well this works, considering it's not a gaming notebook at all and not even having a dedicated/separate GPU with it's own memory.

Patrick

• Acabei de comprar um novo notebook, não pensando em jogos, talvez só um pouco. É um Asus Zenbook 14 com AMD Ryzen 3700 U e chip integrado AMD Radeon RX Vega 10 (não um verdadeiro dedicado, comparável aos chips integrados da Intel, mas um pouco mais adequado para jogos leves), 16GB de RAM e 1TB SSD. Após a configuração inicial, instalei o AeroFly FS2 do Steam.

O desempenho está bom, cerca de 50fps em Full-HD, configurações médias, Vsync ligado. Parece um pouco melhor com Vulkan abd fps um pouco mais alto, mas sinto falta do Vsync. Olhar ao redor faz com que a imagem se desfaça.

Mas no geral, estou satisfeito com o quão bem isso funciona, considerando que não é um notebook para jogos e nem mesmo tem uma GPU dedicada / separada com sua própria memória.

Patrick

Do you have CTDs when using Vulkan?

• I have read your threads, and first had to find out what CTD means ;).

So far I had no CTDs, except when changing settings from OpenGL to Vulkan and back in the menu. But I did not yet have intense flights as I am still finding the optimal settings for me.

Keep you posted.

• I now decided to use Full-HD, Vulkan without VSync and Anti-Aliasing, low graphics setting and am pretty satisfied. I think there is room to maneuver and will try, as suggested above, to increase to medium or high but keep buildings low. I noticed that in Florida, Miame region there are zillions of small houses which drop the frame rate quite a bit. In other areas without buildings it's a lot better. Maybe I will have to keep trees down as well.

Just a little recommendation... Do not make the same mistake as I did! Two years ago I bought the Acer Nitro 5 for 1000$. It’s not much but the thing is that it’s stuttering like I smashed it. I’m saving up for a gaming desktop since the acer nitro 5 sucks. I’m aiming at getting the 2070 Super paired with a AMD Ryzen 7 and 16gb ram.

I want to be 100% sure that I can run Aerofly FS2020 smoothly without any problems like my Acer nitro 5 that the CPU goes down to 9% which gets my fps drop to 17.

I really hope the new computer I’m saving up to is worth it. (Half way there)

Hi I am a flight simmer who loves aviation.

• Just a little recommendation... Do not make the same mistake as I did! Two years ago I bought the Acer Nitro 5 for 1000$. It’s not much but the thing is that it’s stuttering like I smashed it. I’m saving up for a gaming desktop since the acer nitro 5 sucks. I’m aiming at getting the 2070 Super paired with a AMD Ryzen 7 and 16gb ram.

I want to be 100% sure that I can run Aerofly FS2020 smoothly without any problems like my Acer nitro 5 that the CPU goes down to 9% which gets my fps drop to 17.

This is largely due to the fact that the Acer Nitro 5 gets very hot. I almost bought this model, but I had a lot of problems and a slightly more expensive superior notebook from another brand appeared and it is running super well in VULKAN Ultra Settings Full HD soon I will test in 4K for sure that it will run at 60-120 FPS.

Regards,

Lucas

A320 Test Pilot at Aerofly FS2!

I7 8GB RAM GeForce NVIDIA 1660TI 6GB VRAM Graphics 4K .

• Just a little recommendation... Do not make the same mistake as I did! Two years ago I bought the Acer Nitro 5 for 1000$. It’s not much but the thing is that it’s stuttering like I smashed it. I’m saving up for a gaming desktop since the acer nitro 5 sucks. I’m aiming at getting the 2070 Super paired with a AMD Ryzen 7 and 16gb ram.

I believe your problem is purely heating. I had this problem with my laptop as well (which is much simpler then yours) when playing The Witcher 3. I invested better and realized that the processor reduced its frequency when it reached 90ºC. So I put a better thermal paste and my problems are over (Noctua NT-H2).

• Some laptops do not work at full power without plugging in.

Exactly without charging in the power plug I can run the Aerofly at 55 degrees Celsius and 30 FPS which is quite satisfactory already in the power plug it is at 65 degrees making an undervolt or limiting the FPS you can also decrease the temperature to 50-60 a base cooling fan decreases further.

Regards,

Lucas

A320 Test Pilot at Aerofly FS2!

I7 8GB RAM GeForce NVIDIA 1660TI 6GB VRAM Graphics 4K .

• Now flying with RTX 3090 & seeing constant 144 fps over Amsterdam using G-Sync. It'll interesting to overclock & use the Reverb G2. It really impresses that you can spend a fraction of that on a laptop, HMD & still get perfectly acceptable frame rates .