HP Reverb G2 for Aerofly FS2 download resp. DVD version

• After a long waiting period I finally got my new HP Reverb G2 today and installed it. Then I launched the Aerofly FS2 (Download version). But VR does not show up. In the start menue there is only Oculus VR. Then I appended -othervr to the program call. No success at all.

Question: Is there a way (of course without the terrible advertisement- and spy-SW Steam) to get VR for WMR working? Thanks for any help.

Regards Urs

• Try this Video:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Also I changed the start parameter from -oculusvr to -steamvr . I don't known if this makes any sense, but in my case it works.

I don't know if it is possible to get this work without steam (I have also like you the DVD version).

This is just how I got this working.

Wish for Aerofly FS 2/4:

- Flightpath recording on hard drive and replay in sim from different view points

- Smoke for aerobatic planes

- Multiplayer or at least watching other people flying sitting on ground or inside tower

• Thank you very much for answering. Well, this video is just a promotion for steam platform. At the first release I bought Aerofly FS2 for steam, because it was the only way to get a wonderful new flight simulator. After installation I recognised that steam is an awful data kraken forcing me to be online all the time and flooding me with unwanted advertisements. So I bought Aerofly FS2 a second time as soon as it was available for direct download. Then I was really happy with it. Steam of course will never be on my desktop again.

Unfortunately the solution you proposed does only work with steam installed, I suppose. So it is up to Ipacs to make their sim compatible directly with WMR world. I really wonder why they are so much affiliated with steam. All new (and fantastic) extensions like the EC135 are first realised for steam version. Do they classify people who don't want to be exposed to spy SW as neglectable minority?

I hope there will be a version for WMR resp. the HP Reverb G2 in the near future. Ipacs, please let us know your intentions. Thank you.

Regards Urs

• It is your decision to not use steam for whatever reason. It is also ipacs decision how they work and with steam. Steam has big advantages for all involved, publisher and users. Years ago when steam came alive I refused to use it. When I started with Aerofly FS2 there was nothing else than steam. So I was forced to deal with steam. In the meantime I find it great, it does simplify my live with all the game applications I have so much and I am always uptodate automatically. I can move all my games easily to any other drive or even to a new pc. Disk crash, no problem (at least in relation with games from steam). And finally the purchase process of new content, all in one place, no keys to store somewhere.

I can only recommend: maybe it is time to review your steam decision.

(I am in no way affiliated with steam)

Regards,

Thomas

i7-14700KF @ 5.6 GHz, Geforce RTX 4090, 32MB RAM, 1TB SSD M.2, 1TB SSD M.2, 2TB SSD M.2, 32" Monitor 4K, Pimax Crystal

• Thank you very much for answering. Well, this video is just a promotion for steam platform. At the first release I bought Aerofly FS2 for steam, because it was the only way to get a wonderful new flight simulator. After installation I recognised that steam is an awful data kraken forcing me to be online all the time and flooding me with unwanted advertisements.

Regards Urs

Hello Urs ...

What important and "secret" things have you entered into Steam ?

And where is which advertising you telling from ? ... I'm not a Steam fan either, just like FB, Twitter or anything else ...

but they can have my name and email address. Whoever enters more in the respective pages is "self blame" :) :)

mfg, Jens ... Flight-Sim.org

Mein Home-Cockpit ... My Simulator Hardware

MSI PRO Z690-P DDR4 --- SI INTEL Core i7-13700F 2.1GHz LGA1700 Tray --- Palit RTX4070 JetStream 12GB DDR6 --- 16GB DDR4 PC4400 --- SSD Patriot 1TB M.2 Viper VP4300 --- Pimax Crystal

Alles fliegt irgendwie,
    fragt sich nur wielange

• Thank you for your answers. Well, there may be advantages for people playing ego-shoother games and similar stuff in parallel. But I am only interested in serious flight simulation. And there I want total control (as every good pilot, isn't it?). Moreover I don't want advertisements in a program I have payed for. The need for a continuous online connection can be accepted today for streaming of local sceneries, actual weather and traffic as in the new MSFS, but certainly not just to control my gaming behaviour. You may accept that, but I don't.

Ipacs has accepted some time ago, that there were people (including me) complaining about the necessity for steam to operate FS2. So they began to develop and sell the download version and all were happy. I think the consequence for Ipacs should now be to serve both platforms in the same way, also for VR.

Regards Urs

• You could be more polite about people with other opinions and interests then you have.....

SteamVR has always been mandatory for Windows Mixed Reality headsets as you already know for two years now:

Aerofly FS2 und Windows Mixed Reality (ohne Steam)

It is what it is.....

There might be a workaround though:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/co…_steam_install/

Google is our friend (?)...

No experience with this, I'm a happy Steam user.

Regards,

Peter Splinter

i5-7400@3,4 GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660 Super, Pico 4, Quest 2 , 'Vintage' Pro Flight Trainer, X52 Pro, VKB pedals

Edited 3 times, last by PjotR22 (December 20, 2020 at 7:22 PM).

• Sorry to all, I did not want to offend somebody. But please, accept also my opinion. And a situation two years ago may have changed in the meantime. And HP doesn't make any statement, that the reverb works only with steam. That is an Ipacs restriction as far as I can see.

Anyway, thank you Peter for the link. I will give it a try tomorrow.

Sorry again and best regards

Urs

• Maybe I'm mistaken, but when I start steam with my internet connection disabled I get a message with an option "start steam in offline mode". From there I can use all my locally installed contents. Is there something about steam VR that requires an internet connection all the time which non VR steam products obviously do not?

• I do respect your opinion but Windows 10, Chrome, Google, Facebook etc... They all collect your data, welcome to our brave new world...

And with Steam I only get one advertisement after starting up the PC daily, I see a lot more while browsing the internet!

Regards,

Peter Splinter

i5-7400@3,4 GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660 Super, Pico 4, Quest 2 , 'Vintage' Pro Flight Trainer, X52 Pro, VKB pedals