Feature request: VR Zoom to read instruments

• While spending some time with MSFS (and not enjoying it at all because of the terrible performance and awkward graphics) I did find one feature that I found very, very useful: hold right mouse button to temporarily zoom the cockpit in the direction you are looking.

Considering that today's VR headsets are still too low resolution to handle all the tiny button labels etc. of an aircraft cockpit properly, I think this feature would be a great addition to Aerofly. And I would think the implementation wouldn't be a huge challenge.

Anyone agree?

• J.B. February 1, 2021 at 11:20 AM

Changed the title of the thread from “VR Zoom to read instruments” to “Feature request: VR Zoom to read instruments”.
  • Yes, I also find the quick zoom in-out in VR with X Plane 11 very useful and I wish that FS2 in VR had this feature. With FS2 the zoom works in 2D monitor mode, just not in VR mode, so you'd think that it should be easy to do. But, maybe harder than we think, who knows?

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro w/Air Link, Vive Pro

• I agree with that request. MSFS have terrible VR performance we all know that ;) but this VR zoom is very good as they change the level of zoom depending where you're watch, which instrument, so it's a "smart" zoom, depending of each cockpit. Could not be that easy to implement...

• Considering that today's VR headsets are still too low resolution to handle all the tiny button labels etc. of an aircraft cockpit properly

I find with the Reverb G2 I can read alot more of the tiny buttons without leaning forward, compared to my Samsung Odyssey.

• X-Plane 11 also has a zoom function but I never use it while in VR because it breaks the immersion, I rather lean forward for as far as needed with the Quest 2's high resolution.

But it would be a great feature for a lot of us, especially if you fly on a flatscreen...

Regards,

Peter Splinter

i5-7400@3,4 GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660 Super, Pico 4, Quest 2 , 'Vintage' Pro Flight Trainer, X52 Pro, VKB pedals