Vulkan not working with Nvidia drivers 461.40

• Thanks for your quick reply.

It's not that the game crashes it's that it's extremely juddery, even on the menu screen. I've tried lowering the pixel density but that's made no difference. If I switch to open gl or roll back the drivers it's fine. It feels as if I've got the resolution on the oculus quest via the link set too high.

• Yeah, I know what you're referring to. It's something specific to Oculus Link (the USB wired connection that Quest and Quest 2 use). I mentioned it here in this post a while back: RE: ISSUE FIXED in Version 2.05.03.19 - Vulkan doesn't work with Oculus SDK in VR (black screen)

I don't see the issue in my old CV1 Rift, so it's definitely something specific to the USB Link connection for Quest devices. If you force the app to launch in SteamVR, it works fine. But if you launch the native Oculus runtime, *and* have Vulkan enabled, the view "sticks" to your head movements. It's almost like your head is connected to everything around you by a bunch of rubber bands, and any small movement of your head pulls the world with it, but at a slightly slower, stretched-out, stuttery rate.

If you revert to much older versions of the Nvidia driver (446.14 or older) the problem is lessened significantly, but it still doesn't go away completely. It's not a graphics demand problem -- even with low settings it still does it, and running via OpenGL works perfectly. It's just Vulkan. Link works fine in most other games, although there are some weird frame sync issues with it and X-Plane and MSFS.

FWIW my system is an i7 8700K CPU, 1080Ti GPU, SSD installation drive, 32GB x 4000MHz RAM.

• Yeah this is exactly it although I get poor performance still when I launch it through SteamVR

• Yeah this is exactly it although I get poor performance still when I launch it through SteamVR

If you want better VR performance with any sims get a dedicated PCVR headset with DP or HDMI. Expecting to get the same, or better results over usb3 is a bit unrealistic. Not exactly rocket science, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; Win10 pro, i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, zotac rtx 3090, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd, corsair gold 750w psu, Asus ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/etsty gear VR lens mod, and Quest 1 (wireless w/VD). Asus VG248QE external 1080p 144hz gaming monitor.

Check the SteamVR settings for Render Resolution. There is a setting for it under "General" and then there is also a per-app override setting. In the General menu, make sure it's set to "Custom" and set it to 100%. In the per-app override for AeroFly, also make sure it's set to 100% there.

For me the SteamVR performance is not all that different than native Oculus running OpenGL, so if you're seeing problems there, the above could be the reason.

Regarding the topic that started this post though, the behavior in the Oculus runtime is definitely, without a doubt some kind of bug. It's not just 'poor performance,' it's 'world moving with your head movements to such an extent that it's unplayable.' I just tried making a screencap of this so everyone else could see, but unfortunately it only shows up in the headset, not on the mirrored desktop image. If anyone wants to reproduce it, though, I think all it takes is an Oculus Quest connected via Link, and then launching the sim via the Oculus build with Vulkan enabled.

• If you want better VR performance with any sims get a dedicated PCVR headset with DP or HDMI. Expecting to get the same, or better results over usb3 is a bit unrealistic. Not exactly rocket science, lol!

Actually, if I match the render resolution (pixel dimensions) of my Quest 2 to what my CV1 was running at, performance and headroom is *very* similar (except for apps where some kind of buggy interaction exists with Link, which just so happens to be flight sims: X-Plane, MSFS, and AeroFly in Vulkan). Apples-to-apples there's not much difference between Quest2+Link vs. Rift, except that Quest2 can be *much* sharper and clearer if your hardware can drive it. It works well enough in other apps that I've stopped using my Rift CV1 altogether.

• Actually, if I match the render resolution (pixel dimensions) of my Quest 2 to what my CV1 was running at, performance and headroom is *very* similar (except for apps where some kind of buggy interaction exists with Link, which just so happens to be flight sims: X-Plane, MSFS, and AeroFly in Vulkan). Apples-to-apples there's not much difference between Quest2+Link vs. Rift, except that Quest2 can be *much* sharper and clearer if your hardware can drive it. It works well enough in other apps that I've stopped using my Rift CV1 altogether.

Mate, I wish I could get the same good results with my Q1/2 so I could retire my Rift cv1. Even with my nice new rtx3090 gpu Quest + Link, or wireless w/Virtual Desktop does not perform well enough to be equal to what I can do with my cv1. Esp. now that I can SS just about everything to 2.5 with my cv1, lol!

Whether or not there is a bug and who's fault it is does not concern me since I'm now only using my Vive Pro with all my flight/racing sims. Pretty big wow factor with my new 3090 btw.

Custom built gaming desktop; Win10 pro, i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, zotac rtx 3090, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd, corsair gold 750w psu, Asus ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/etsty gear VR lens mod, and Quest 1 (wireless w/VD). Asus VG248QE external 1080p 144hz gaming monitor.

• Mate, I wish I could get the same good results with my Q1/2 so I could retire my Rift cv1. Even with my nice new rtx3090 gpu Quest + Link, or wireless w/Virtual Desktop does not perform well enough to be equal to what I can do with my cv1. Esp. now that I can SS just about everything to 2.5 with my cv1, lol!

Whether or not there is a bug and who's fault it is does not concern me since I'm now only using my Vive Pro with all my flight/racing sims. Pretty big wow factor with my new 3090 btw.

Very interesting! I've tried the side by side test with the Vive Cosmos Elite & HP Reverb G2. For me, there's no comparison. It seems pretty obvious that Reverb 2 is next generation in every way - frame rates, resolution but possibly the most noticeable of all - substantial weight and dimension reduction.

There is a big wow factor although it takes quite of lot of adjustment to get the best balance of the highest detail & graphic realism while keeping frame rates as high as possible. Overflying some of the most detailed animated scenery with maxed out settings and overclocked to the edge of stability I can see around 70 FPS. Frame rate friendly aircraft help too - EC135 is definitely high fidelity, probably not the easiest of all yet still is amongst my absolute favourite choices for balance in every way.

• Hi,

After updating to the latest nvidia drivers (461.40) I'm unable to play the game on my oculus quest 2 using vulkan.

My GPU is an RTX 2080 Super and I'm using the oculus link cable.

There are a number of settings within the Nvidia Control Panel which made VR smoother for me with higher frame rates. Without knowing what your current setup is, you could try with lower graphic settings or try Ultra Low Latency mode. That will minimise queued frames which may or may not help. Also Supersampling as well as some of the VR specific shaders in ReShade may be of assistance. Maybe a Reverb G2? :)

• Very interesting! I've tried the side by side test with the Vive Cosmos Elite & HP Reverb G2. For me, there's no comparison. It seems pretty obvious that Reverb 2 is next generation in every way - frame rates, resolution but possibly the most noticeable of all - substantial weight and dimension reduction.

There is a big wow factor although it takes quite of lot of adjustment to get the best balance of the highest detail & graphic realism while keeping frame rates as high as possible. Overflying some of the most detailed animated scenery with maxed out settings and overclocked to the edge of stability I can see around 70 FPS. Frame rate friendly aircraft help too - EC135 is definitely high fidelity, probably not the easiest of all yet still is amongst my absolute favourite choices for balance in every way.

Ya, the HP G2 looks to be the king of VR for flight sims. Here's a recent comparison of G2 vs Quest 2;

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• After updating to the latest nvidia drivers (461.40) I'm unable to play the game on my oculus quest 2 using vulkan.

You could try DDU - Display Driver Uninstaller - it "can help you completely remove AMD (ATI), NVIDIA and Intel graphics drivers, Realtek audio driver from your system, without leaving leftovers behind (such as registry keys, folders, files, driver store). Over time these leftover files can cause compatibility issues, such as drivers failing to install, reducing performance or system crashes/freezes. By using DDU you can remove these leftovers and solve many common issues related with GPU drivers."

Then install the driver directly from Nvidia. If you're using Windows 10, you need to disconnect from the internet during startup to prevent Windows Update installing another version.

DDU Guide / Tutorial | Wagnardsoft

• Folks, the specific problem that the OP is referring to is a bug. I really want to emphasize this. The behavior it exhibits is nothing like a lack of performance or settings too high. I've been using VR in general for 4 years, AeroFly& X-Plane for 3. I know what is normal and what isn't; I know how things behave when settings need to be dialed back. I've used DDU a zillion times; I've updated and downgraded drivers numerous times as well. Nvidia control panel settings don't have any effect on it.

When you load into the aircraft, and move your head back and forth, the view "sticks" to it, and drags around with your head movements in a stuttery, fragmented fashion. It's completely different than the kind of behavior that you see when things are choking from lack of CPU/GPU. As I said, it's as if the view is connected to you head by rubber bands, and as you move your head, instead of the view staying fixed in space, it drags along with your view in a slightly delayed fashion.

Unfortunately I think the only way it's gonna get fixed is if IPACS has a Quest 2 to test with, because as I said, I can't even screencap it. This behavior only shows up in the headset. The screencap I recorded looked totally normal. It only happens with Oculus Link, with the Vulkan option enabled, running the native Oculus build of AeroFly.

• Not the fastest PC here, see signature, but Aerofly FS2 runs smooth with every scenery in high settings, shadows medium with the Quest 2 at 100% resolution in Open GL...(Most animation add ons don't work with Vulkan so I switched back to using Open GL)

What helped the most was using Oculus Tray Tool with ASW at forced 45Hz. (Oculus link at 72Hz)
    Runs fine in OculusVR as long as you don't crash, then the image freezes in the headset while everything is fine on the monitor screen.
    No problems in SteamVR, performance is maybe 5-10% less then in OculusVR, not a big difference...
    Haven't touched my Lenovo WMR headset since I got the Quest 2. Very happy with it. Image clarity of my friends HP Reverb is a bit better but the sweetspot of the Quest 2 is bigger...

Regards,

Peter Splinter

i5-7400@3,5 GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660 Super, Quest 2 and Lenovo Explorer VR, 'Vintage' Pro Flight Trainer, X52 Pro, VKB pedals

Edited 2 times, last by PjotR22 ().

• Not the fastest PC here, see signature, but Aerofly FS2 runs smooth with every scenery in high settings, shadows medium with the Quest 2 at 100% resolution in Open GL...

Yes, it works fine in OpenGL. Drivers newer than 446.14 (I think, off the top of my head) all have this problem with Quest2 + Link + Vulkan in AeroFly.

Thanks for all the replies ,but as qwerty42 said I'm pretty sure it's a bug. In my case if I go back to older drivers it works fine but with the latest drivers even the menu is a mess.

100%. It definitely is. I don't know if it's Nvidia's bug, Oculus' bug, or IPACS' bug, but it's definitely a bug.