Aerofly vs Mac models - lineage and useability?

• Hello everyone,

I am a long term Mac user, and new to R/C flying. I have not found any body of information that explains which Macs can support the various versions of R/C flight training software (v7 and v8 are the ones that I am aware of).

Looking at one of the largest RC forums, I can see that there are a lot of Mac users confused and trying to help each other out. I would love to see the known compatibility information assembled into one table, document, thread etc, where we could all be able to make decisions efficiently and easily.

Here is the base specs on my Mac :

MacBook Pro8,3 (17-inch, Late 2011)

Graphics : AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB

Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

Operating System : macOS High Sierra, Version 10.13.6

Can anyone comment on which versions of aerofly will work with this computer system? This is still a fast and functional computer, with 5TB in fast SSD storage, and maxed out on possible RAM. I would be surprised if it could not cope with one version or the other.

It would also be interesting to know how Mac models respond to v7 vs v8. Eg : is the latter more demanding of the computer's performance?

Thanks, and looking forward to seeing any comments on these issues - Grant.

• We strongly recommend Aerofly RC 8 as it is our latest and most modern simulator that also uses Metal on Mac OS. Please check if your Graphic card supports Metal, then Aerofly RC 8 is the way to go. Otherwise we recommend Aerofly RC 7 that uses OpenGL and is available on all older Mac's.

• I have just purchased Aerofly RC 9 for Mac from the App Store. The installation freezes immediately after clicking on (Open) indicating it is downloading PT40. I can't get to the main menu to even activate my app. I have a Mac Book Pro with an Intel and NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards.

Any help to get this up and running will be appreciated. I have deleted the app and downloaded at least 3 times and it freezes every time I try to open it.

• Hi there,

I just tested Aerofly RC7 on a 2009 MacBook Pro. It has the original HDD and 8GB of ram. It detected my NX10 and the setup was ok.

I used the default graphics settings (medium) and had variable results. For flying at a distance, I got about 50 +/- 5 FPS. However, hovering a model up close could see the FPS drop to < 20 from time to time.

The experience wasn't as a good as RC8 one a 2019 16" MacBook Pro - but then, not too bad for a 2009 computer.