RC8 Oculus Quest 2 issue

• Hi I have the RC8 standard and want to use vr on the Quest 2 with link, I've tested and found the planes are ghosting / stuttering when moving, ok close up prop hanging but no good once fast flight. I've turned down all graphic settings etc but no use. Tried Vulkan but the screen jumps wildly !

PC specs 980 TI 4gb, AMD 8core CPU, Fresh SSD hard drive with windows 10, Gigabyte motherboard.

I'm not a gamer so don't have a high end pc but my son checked the GPU when I'm in VR and it's only running at 30% so doesn't seem to struggle.

I'm thinking of getting a Saphire RX580 TI graphics card with 8gb which is not too pricey to see if it helps? (Specs say it vr ready whatever that means!)

Or am I off the mark here and it's just an issue with the Quest itself ?

I've also tried Oculus settings and changed the setting to lock 45fps and unlocked 45fps and auto but nothing changes,

Any advice appreciated 😀

• Unfortunately your pc is a bit underpowered for good RC8 VR. Also, a Quest w/Link actually works your gpu harder than a dedicated pcvr headset like the Rift S. What FPS do you get if you just run RC8 on your monitor (non--VR)? There is an option on the RC8 top right menu to show FPS. As a VERY rough guide, if you are not seeing at least 500fps in 2d (turn off any vsyc or frame limiting options btw) then I don't like your chances with it in VR.

If you want to try to see the max you can get out of your Q2 I suggest you do not use OTT for now. When you are connected with link go to you Oculus desktop app device, click on your Q2 icon, go to quality settings and select 72Hz refresh rate and auto quality (1.0). This should max your Q2 performance.

In RC8 graphics setting, start off with mainly defaults and chose low quality graphics to start. Water and trees def take extra PC power so def leave them on low (trees maybe even off). With your Oculus app set to 72Hz you want to target 72fps with RC8 in order to avoid ghosting and stutter. I'm not sure you are going to be able to achieve this with your PC specs. I think for good VR you probably need at least a rtx2060 and i5 9600k. If you cannot afford this then you probably need to be content using RC8 on your monitor. It's still a very good RC sim in 2D imho.

Anyway, let us know how you make out. Good luck mate. Cheers.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro w/Air Link, Vive Pro

• Cheers for the detailed reply, I'm not at the pc now so can't check th frame rate in 2d but will tonight, one thing I can't understand is if the gpu and cpu were struggling why wouldn't the the gpu be maxed out instead of 33% and I would expect the fans to ramp up with a thermal warning (like a torture test).

BTW what does a gpu that's VR ready actually mean? Is there something that one card does that an older one doesn't?

• Cheers for the detailed reply, I'm not at the pc now so can't check th frame rate in 2d but will tonight, one thing I can't understand is if the gpu and cpu were struggling why wouldn't the the gpu be maxed out instead of 33% and I would expect the fans to ramp up with a thermal warning (like a torture test).

BTW what does a gpu that's VR ready actually mean? Is there something that one card does that an older one doesn't?

GPU % loading can be a bit misleading. Often win10 task manager does not report this accurately and of course it needs to be measured under load, not just at idle. You can use free software like GPU-Z to get much more accurate numbers (load, freq, and temp).

Low gpu usage can also be due to a poor CPU that cannot keep up and this is called bottlenecking. Again free software like CPU-Z can help measure your CPU activity (core use and temps).

Another factor is poor cooling. If your temps get a bit high you may get thermal overloads which will then throttle back both your cpu and gpu performance.

Another performance killer is not having a high enough rated pc power supply (psu), and/or one that is old and clapped out. For the min specs I suggested you want at least a 500W psu, preferable higher.

All a bit more complex and while it's nice to measure these things, the most important thing is the net result. Unfortunately, I kinda doubt that you are going to get that with your current PC. It will probably work fine with simpler VR games like Ultrawings though.

VR Ready 'anything' is a meaningless marketing tag imho. You need to do your own research into what components work best for good VR. Even Oculus min specs are not always a very good guide. VR apps (esp. sims) are getting more complex all the time so you need the best hardware to get good results.

Anyway, this is about all the advice I can give you mate. It's up to you to do a lot more research imho.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro w/Air Link, Vive Pro

So, did you find out anything?

Edited once, last by TomC RLG (February 13, 2021 at 4:28 PM).

• Update on Quest (v25) with Link.

My Quest 1 updated to v25 today and I found that RC8 was unplayable with Vulkan (lots of screen stuttering). Worked fine with OpenGL though. I'm pretty sure this is an Oculus Link bug since this does not happen with my Rift cv1 with Vulkan. I did not seem to have any problems with my Q1 with link running FS2 in Vulkan.

There seems to be a lot of bugs in the latest Quest v25 update. Hopefully Oculus will sort these out soon. No big deal for me since I mainly use my Vive Pro with all my sims anyway and it works perfect.