Xbox controller for Aerofly?

• Yes, as long as win10 recognises it as a joystick it will work fine. You just need to connect the controller beforehand and then startup fs2. Under settings you can go to controllers and you should see it's available, with default settings. You may need to mod these to suit. Works ok but it's not something that I would recommend. You are better to go with flight sticks. I have a Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X Joystick For PC & PS3 and it works pretty well and is not very expensive.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro w/Air Link, Vive Pro

• Does it also work for mobile versions?

Should work as long as you can pair it beforehand to your mobile device. I think it needs to be a Bluetooth capable controller like the Xbox One.

Here's the kiddie version, lol!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro w/Air Link, Vive Pro

Edited once, last by TomC RLG (February 17, 2021 at 11:39 PM).

• SteelSeries Stratus works for Android, Windows & VR.

Nimbus works on Apple TV & iOS devices. With SteelSeries Engine 3 the Nimbus also works with Windows and most definitely VR.

They can take pretty extreme punishment and not implode.

https://steelseries.com/gaming-controllers

i9-10900KF RTX 3090 64Gb Reverb G2 Saitek X-65F

• SteelSeries Stratus works for Android, Windows & VR.

Nimbus works on Apple TV & iOS devices. With SteelSeries Engine 3 the Nimbus also works with Windows and most definitely VR.

They can take pretty extreme punishment and not implode.

https://steelseries.com/gaming-controllers

These are much lower quality than xbox imho.

• Works fine with Xbox Wireless Elite 2 controller on iOS. Sadly, no button configuration available within Aerofly, extra paddles on Elite 2 not supported by iOS yet. But, you can reconfigure the controller in Windows, these settings seem to be saved directly in the controller which then also affect behaviour in iOS.

• Yep that's the killer - no customisation of a wireless controller is currently possible for AFS2021 on the ipad pro??.... 😪🤧😪😪🤧

Ios14 seems to allow wireless controller customisation in the setting menu? Can anyone confirm that XBOX ELITE WIRELESS or PS4 dualshock wireless can be customised with Aerofly FS2021 on the ipad please? Default settings are no good for helicopters. Don't want to buy one to find out it doesn't work. The elite looks pretty pricey right now. Keen for a mobile wireless controller to use with AFS2021 on the ipad.

Favourite album: In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

My ride: MB339, B744, Aerofly FS Global, Ipad Pro 2022/11 1TB ipadOS17

XBox Series X/S wireless controller (model 1914)

Edited once, last by HKATER (March 21, 2021 at 10:39 PM).

• Works fine with Xbox Wireless Elite 2 controller on iOS. Sadly, no button configuration available within Aerofly, extra paddles on Elite 2 not supported by iOS yet. But, you can reconfigure the controller in Windows, these settings seem to be saved directly in the controller which then also affect behaviour in iOS.

Madpat, sorry didn't read your post properly. Are you saying that we can use the Xbox elite 2 wireless on the ipad and customise the controller in ios, and then use in the sim (even though you cannot customise within aerofly)? Seems you are comfirming this. Can the two sticks be customised for helis? Left, collective, Right stick cyclic and paddles for rudder?

Seems ios14 is required, I am on ios13 so would need to update. Do you think the same goes for other wireless controllers, PS4 etc.. Your help is much appreciated. I want to buy one but first make sure it will work.

I just need to change the default settings of the controller. That I can't customise within AFS2021 is not a big issue for me, as long as the customisations work. Not clear what you mean by extra paddles? Do the paddles work for rudder? No rudder on a heli won't work very well at all. Thankyou.

• I need to check that again. I think it is nor only iOS14 that you need, but the app needs to support this feature, too. I think PS controllers the work as well.

What I was referring to is that you can configure the Elite 2 controller on the PC (includes changing axis), and these setting are then more or less hard coded in the controller. Meaning, the changed axis then also applies to iOS. But beware, I am not 100% sure yet.

I can try to replicate the desired config as you described above. But, since the collective is digital, putting it on an analog axis on the left stick might not really make it work analogue.

The extra paddles on the Elite2 controller are not supported by iOS yet in terms of additional buttons. You can though configure these paddles on the PC to work as one of the 'normal' buttons, e.g. if you would like to have a second place for flaps or gear operation.

Edited once, last by madpat (March 22, 2021 at 7:51 AM).

• Oh thks... been studying ios and wireless controllers on internet forums and youtube a few days now and its pretty confusing. Seems that ios14 permits controller configuration on the ipad in the settings bluetooth menu (no pc configuration required), at least thats what it seems, which would suggest it should work in AFS2021 with these customised settings. I am pretty certain that the wireless controllers work on AFS2021 with default settings.

My situation is an ipad pro 2017, ios13 (I may choose to update to ios14 if I think this will allow me to use a wireless controller for AFS2021). I have my reasons for not wanting to update to ios14 as I have some old app games I want to keep on it that may not be compatible with the new ios14 (have had that problem in the past with ipads). I am about to buy the next model ipad pro this year, so I may choose to wait till then.

The million dollar question is "can you customise a wireless bluetooth controller in ios14 on the ipad in settings and use this in AFS2021"? Default settings are no good for me. I may have to wait until this all becomes clearer. Microsoft and Apple say they are working on this problem. The lack of MFi support in the AFS2021 app is of a concern - part of me thinks this doesn't matter if the ios14 allows you to configure the controller. Part of me thinks it may be a problem. I am not keen on buying a controller like the elite 2 (not cheap) and find out the hard way.

As you have an elite 2 is it possible to test if this is OK in ios14 on a mobile device and this great sim AFS2021?

I assume by extra paddles you mean the elite has 4x paddles and only 2x paddles work in ios? 2x paddles is all I need for rudder control.

I want to set up like my old pc xbox controller (wired) with left stick collective, right stick cyclic and paddles as rudder. I am not sure I can use my old pc for a new controller configuration as my pc is 100% offline now. And I definitely want to go bluetooth, as connecting a wired controller to an ipad is too complicated for me. I basically can't fly the helos in this sim without a proper controller - its just too hard imo. Even using assisted rudder is too hard. The tilt control is passable, but the collective slider is too hard to use effectively. Sorry a bit long winded, but that is the story.

• Just checked: I reconfigured the Elite2 controller in iOS 14 on my iPad only (no PC!) and swapped the 4-way-cross with left stick. Works fine in AeroflyFS21, but, as expected, left stick is now digital! You need full deflection to move collective, and it moves in the same speed as on the cross.

Vertical/horizontal axis swap does not really work well though. Whenever I tried this, all three options were activated: horizontal, vertical, input swap. Drives you crazy.

Cyclic on right stick is default, as is the rudder on left/right triggers. Shoulder buttons are view change.

Additional paddles: The Elite2 has four of them (removable), but you can't use them in iOS yet without PC configuration of the controller.

Edited once, last by madpat (March 22, 2021 at 9:42 AM).

• Ah yeah, and one more thing: I am not sure since which iOS controller mapping is supported. I think with iOS14 came the support of the Elite2 controller, but maybe mapping was available in 13 already? The normal PS4 and Xbox controller should work with iOS13, maybe you just try before considering updating to 14.

After connecting your controller to the device, the mapping can be found under Settings, General, Controller.

Good luck!

• Look thankyou so much, excellent. Bad news on the paddles but at least with 2 sticks I can fly rudder assist.

Yes the left stick as collective (power) is always tricky, that set up is RC mode 2 if I recall (radio control). Because of the self centering spring on both sticks the collective is always 50% raised up (half power) by default. I make sure to keep the left stick down before the sim loads, so you don't leap into the air, do the same in FSX. It takes a bit of getting used to but once in flight its quite handy having 50% power on without the need to adjust the collective some times, at least you know what it wants to sit on.

I have never bothered removing or adjusting the self centering springs on an xbox controller as they are not stiff, but I understand it can be done?. I have modified joysticks before (the single standard flight sim joystick), as they are always way too stiff for cyclic control on a heli. By using a cable tie on the spring at the base I have managed to greatly reduce the centering force and acheived a very smooth cyclic control. But since starting to use XBOX controllers a few years ago I would never use a joystick again. Cheaper and better and longer lasting. Twin stick controllers are the best control imo, much closer to the real thing. It works for RC and works well for flight sims. I use the same for fixed-wing flying. The paddles at the back mean you can do everything with 2 hands, no rudder pedals required.

Thanks very much. I will get a bluetooth XBOX controller (most likely the elite 2) and upgrade to ios14. Happy days.... cheers. Looking forward to heli flying on the ipad. 🤓

EDIT. Yes I was thinking I would try ios13 first before I update. I am pretty sure that ios13 allows the use of wireless controllers. But after watching videos it seems that ios14 has introduced controller configuration, adjustment of settings (MFi was part of the reason for the ios14 upgrade for Apple mobile devices).

EDIT. By the way one way to increase the difficulty of a heli sim is to go into the controller setup menu (the section to centre the sticks or joystick, not sure if thats possible on the ipad) and hold the stick slightly off-centre when it asks you to centre it during the setup. The trick is to make it SLIGHTLY off centre. It means that your bird will never sit in one spot stable - will always want to veer off - and will need constant fine adjustment on the cyclic. Have done that trick on fsx before and it increases the level of difficulty substantially. Throw in some wind and it is a difficult exercise to control. I discovered this trick by accident one day when I had a joystick that wasn't centered correctly. After I centered it I noticed the difference. I preferred the off center setting, so set it up off center again. I have had people tell me that the heli is hard enough without making it harder. I disagree - the harder the better imo. I like the challenge and find fixed wing flying a bit boring now.

Many years ago a Professor of Aeronautical Engineering told me that the difference between a helicopter and a plane is that the helicopter is "inherently unstable". Its basically trying to kill you all of the time. Fixed wing craft on the other hand are inherently stable - they are designed that way (dutch roll for example). I remember thinking at the time - man I don't want anything to do with helicopters - sounds too dangerous. Now I love them - but only on the pc or tablet. Safer that way...

Edited 4 times, last by HKATER (March 22, 2021 at 10:24 AM).

• I just checked what I claimed a little earlier. Yes, you can configure the Xbox Wireless Elite 2 Controller on the PC, and these changes then apply to Aerofly on the iPad. Since the vertical axis swap change in iOS alone didn`t really work, I changed that setting on the controller connected to the PC. Also, I changed the input curve for the right stick to "delayed". This changes the input so that I can now make very, very gentle steering inputs which help especially in the helicopters. Max value is still the same, the curve is dvidided into three sections: first normal rise, then a more shallow rise, at the end pretty steep, but that`s where you would mostly want full deflection anyway.

Also, the additional four pedals are by default assigned to the A-B-X-Y buttons, so I have an alternative gear operation button.

Together with the adjustable friction of the sticks, swappable sticks and it`s general much better built it makes a real cool controller for Aerofly on the iPad.

The desktop software needed for that configuration is just called "XBox Zubehör" (Xbox accessories), and you need to connect it via cable to configure it.

The Y-Button (PS: triangle?) still seems unused is Aerofly mobile, as are the stick and menu/start buttons, right?

Patrick

• Thanks Madpat, unfortunately for me (in Australia), elite 2 is not available for a few weeks, so I bought the xbox wireless 'robot white' controller (AA battery), latest model 1914 (released Sept 2020, its their latest controller) and rechargeable battery/dual charger kit yesterday. Took it out of the box this morning and it is a beautiful controller. Problem is it doesn't work. Pairs to the ipad pro no problem, but when you go into an MFi compliant game it's like its not there. Annoying bit is the older model (sold out) 1708 works fine with ios13/14.

I also have an app to check a wireless controller on the ipad, and the controller is invisible as far as it is concerned.

Seems I am not alone in my frustration!

Reference:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/for…ad-4ef964feca01

Apparently they think ios14.5 will sort the problem (not yet released, its in beta I think?

I was going to take it back to the store, but will wait for Apple/xbox to sort out the problem.

Its annoying that their latest controller doesn't work with ios, older one does, and the elite 2 is not yet available in Oz.

• Games that claim to support MFi do not necessarily support PS/XBox controllers. I think this feature was introduced by means of promoting Apple Arcade, where PS/Xbox controllers should work with all games, I think (not sure though). I was also surprised to see that some games don`t do anything with the controller although even saying that a controller is connected (e.g. Construction Simulator3). But since we talk about Aerofly here, I didn`t mention it / forgot about it. Sorry about that. I rather think it`s the game providers that have to update their apps, not Apple to make them work with PS/Xbox controllers.

• RE: XBOX Series X wireless controller, model 1914

No prob - I had intended to buy elite 2, as I know it works (as you have it) but its not available till end of April in Australia.

Its uber-annoying ): but not your fault. Its actually pretty clear to me now that on the Apple support site they say that only the

- elite 2, and

- model 1708, Xbox One

are presently working in ipados. Only 2 models work (maybe not perfectly, but they work).

In hindsite I can see it. Of course you only understand all this techno babble after you buy, not before. Before you buy, you read it and think optimistically - oh model 1708 or newer. NO. Only 1708 or elite 2. Hope this post might help someone else here.

I could return it, as the box says "some FUNCTIONALITY not supported in ios and android," which is not correct - it does not work at all, only pairs to the ipad. Not sure how they define the word FUNCTIONALITY?... but its not my definition to be sure. I thought they meant no mapping or other problems, and some functionality would be there. No its 0% functional even in MFi apps on the ipad. I was hoping to use the default settings, but even that is no go with the latest model.

Good news is the dual charger and batteries would appear to work in both Xbox One 1708 (2016) and model 1914 (the latest Series X I have now) so I may hang onto both for when I get the next ios14.5 update later - despite my problem it looks to be a very nice controller and cheaper than the elite. Aerofly supporting MFi would be nice but would seem to not prevent users from using wireless controllers, which is great. But thanks for letting us know about the lack of visibility of the elite 2 controller in some MFi ipad games. Will bear that in mind. Yes when the controller doesn't work, it looks fine in the ipad settings (paired, all looks rosy and good) but in-game (in the game app itself) its like it doesn't exist. In the in-game settings screen it does not appear at all and you are left with standard ipad tilt etc.. control settings.

Just bought the older 2016 model 1708, found it on Amazon, so hopefully will have it in a weeks time to try on the ipad.

Edited 2 times, last by HKATER (March 28, 2021 at 11:50 AM).

• I think Aerofly works with an MFI controller though. I think I had one for a couple of days and tested it years ago, and it worked then. So, if that still holds true, Aerofly would be one of the games supporting MFI and (some) PS/Xbox controllers.

• Ah OK I wasn't aware that there are dedicated MFi controllers for the iphone/ipad. Thought that the xbox controllers were, which they strictly aren't. Did a search and found them thanks, the MFi wireless controllers.

I suppose the reason xbox is so keen to sort out their latest X series controller for ios is because of the spat they are having with apple over the upcoming Xbox Pass streaming via web browser onto iphone and ipad.

https://www.makeuseof.com/xbox-game-pass-ultimate-ios-2021/

Am satisfied that the about to be released ios14.5 update will allow X series controller on the ipad, so I am hoping to use it for Aerofly.