Xbox controller for Aerofly?

• Pleased to report that I got the older Xbox One wireless controller (model 1708) today and it works well with AFS2021 with the default settings. Almost exactly as I set it up except the collective is a button press down and up, not the left stick which I prefer for better sensitivity and control. Rudder is left and right paddles by default which you really need for a heli. It works in other games on the ipad as well with ipadOS13.7, even though the game doesn't recognise it as a controller, same as Aerofly, it just works.

Might try to change the settings on my old PC and see if that works. The analogue sensitivity settings in Aerofly control menu doesn't seem to change anything. Highly recommend for heli flying - as good as my older xbox controller on the PC. Seems that ios13 was the fix for wireless controllers and ios14.5 to be released will be the fix for the new xbox series X wireless controller which I will keep for the new ipad later this year.

Happy days 🙂..... thks team Aerofly

Edit: well the default settings are not perfect - don't expect a smooth controller experience, its a bit quirky but it does work. Its way too sensitive and can't seem to lower this, but its still easier and preferable to control than with the ipad tilt or analogue onscreen controls. On my old PC (old heli sims like fsx) I have lowered the stick sensitivity which makes helos easier to fly. An example of how quirky it is is you can't change the fixed view position when in game. Whatever the last position was, external or internal will be what it is in game. To change view you have to disconnect the controller and change view and then reconnect the controller and start over. With this controller all you can do is control your view with the left stick (acts like a hat switch) but you can't actually change views like inside or outside if that makes sense. So if you are desperate to fly a heli with a wireless controller it works (but its not perfect), but this control thing needs work- hopefully we will get future support in game from Aerofly to customise controllers. To be able to down adjust the sensitivity would be helpful. But for now its good enough for me.

Not sure right now if the problem is too high sensitivity on the right stick (cyclic), can't lower it, OR it is the self-centering spring forces, ie too stiff. I notice that the elite 2 allows you to adjust spring forces. I suspect the problem is the sensitivity, not springs, as I have xbox controllers on heli sims on the PC and have no problem with the spring forces at all. Xbox twin stick controllers are far less stiff than joysticks. Joysticks are notoriously stiff by default. Anyways hope this helps anybody considering wireless control on the ipad for Aerofly mobile.

Favourite album: In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

My ride: MB339, B744, Aerofly FS Global, Ipad Pro 2022/11 1TB ipadOS17

XBox Series X/S wireless controller (model 1914)

Edited 2 times, last by HKATER (April 7, 2021 at 8:21 AM).

• I am using Nimbus Steelseries with iPhone and it works pretty well. I added a silicone cap to the right stick to bring it closer to a joystick. The paddles for tail rotor are a bit sensitive but functional. the Collective control on the D Pad is the worst of them, and there is no trim I can find. But it is overall way better than the X-Plane mobile mapping on the same controller.

• Turbinerd, RE: helicopters, yes I am finding the same (I agree with all your points except on the xbox I find the sticks too sensitive, not the rudder, but if I was able to I would probably reduce that sensitivity as well) but thks for the feedback on the nimbus. I am finding the xbox good enough with default mapping but the lack of customisation makes it way too sensitive and a bit hard to control in the hover. The Eurocopter I can fly reasonably. The R22 will have to wait till AFS allows mobile controller customisation and I can dial down the sensitivity on the cyclic - I'm all over the sky trying to fly the R22 on the ipad.

RE Collective : a stick would be better but that is xbox mapping not Aerofly. Even a self-centering stick that you have to hold down at the start of the sim. To simply hold down the collective stick as the sim is loading so I don't get airborne when the sim loads. Not perfect but you get used to it and unless xbox have a controller that allows you to remove the centering spring - unavoidable.

I am pretty happy with the Eurocopter, the mobile controller and AFS mobile. Its fun to fly. The rudders as paddles are great and makes heli control much easier. I have always hated foot rudders on computers - have given me too much trouble over the years. Two hands controlling all control surfaces is great and gives complete control.

If one day I can get a Left Hand Stick collective on AFS it will be even better.

PS. I fully expect that the next big development will be the NEXT mobile version, not this one, whenever that is. Not a problem with that at all - looking forward to it. Been following these guys for years and I like their 'Mojo'. I also like the "less is more" attitude (less of the planet but a high quality version of what is included). I think that Aerofly FS mobile 2021 is a masterpiece the way it is right now. Its awesome. Thanks guys.

Edited 14 times, last by HKATER (May 28, 2021 at 12:48 PM).

• Yes its a bummer, up is down and down is up! on the collective, no good :S

AFS is much better mapping.