advice on buying a virtual headset

• hello,

Now that some people have taken a step back from using a virtual headset in Aerofly RC8, I would like to hear your thoughts on my PC.

is it sufficient?

if so, which virtual headset (make and model) do you recommend?

my config:
    Windows 10 64bits | iCore7 860 | DDR3 8go | EVGA GTX 1060 nvidia | SSD 256go

Thank you

• hello,

Now that some people have taken a step back from using a virtual headset in Aerofly RC8, I would like to hear your thoughts on my PC.

is it sufficient?

my config:

Thank you

My previous GPU was a GTX 1070, and I considered it as a bare minimum to run with my previous headset, which was an Oculus RIft CV1.

If you don't want to buy a new GPU, in my opinion you have two possible choice:

- You buy an Oculus Rift CV1 second hand. I sold mine for 100€. Resolution is not great (hence the low GPU requirement) but it's a quality headset. That should be OK with AFS2 if you don't push the details.

- You buy an Oculus Quest 2, which is great BUT you will have to drastically reduce the resolution in steam preferences. So you won't experience the Screen Door Effect of the CV1, you won't see the pixels, but the image will not be sharp at all.

In both case expect a myopia simulator. You'll have to lean forward to read jauges and control screens.

Still it worth it in my opinion, in particular if you don't care too much about jauges and you are mainly interested in the pleasure of the flight.

Edited 2 times, last by haltux (April 24, 2021 at 9:24 PM).

• hello,

is it sufficient?

my config:

Thank you

Sorry but I don't know anyone with a decent gaming pc that has stepped back from VR with rc8. However, many with Oculus headsets have stepped back from VR with RealFlight 9.5 because of the terrible washed out colours and poor resolution. RF 9.5 looks ok with my expensive Vive Pro but in any case, rc8 looks sooo much better in VR imho.

Your pc (hopefully a desktop, not a laptop) is pretty weak for good PCVR imho. Might work with low graphics settings though. For VR newbies I recommend getting an Oculus Quest 2. This is a very versatile VR headset and can do mobile VR and PCVR with a Link cable (I recommend and use the Oculus official link cable). Just be aware that you will need Oculus and Facebook accounts and these will need to be linked together. No big deal unless you post stupid things on FB or try to use a false identity and get banned. The only current issue I've found using a Q1 or Q2 with RC8 is that it's better to use the OpenGL default graphics settings. No big difference in rc8 anyway imho. Works fine with fs2 Vulkan though.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro w/Air Link, Vive Pro

Edited once, last by TomC RLG (April 25, 2021 at 4:44 AM).

• thanks for your advices.

I'm thinking of changing my PC

I9 10900KF

32 GB DDR4 3200

SSD M2 1TB

RTX 3060

OCCULUS QUEST 2

that's good ?

• yes of course, but I would not have the graphics card because it is out of stock everywhere.

In the meantime, I will be using the GTX1060 ...

• I'd recommend getting a rtx3070 or better. RC8 is pretty demanding in VR imho. I even need to limit some settings with my rtx3090, lol! Also, since rtx3000 series gpu's are just about impossible to get right now you may have better luck trying to source a pre-built gaming PC. In the meantime your 1060 should work ok on low graphics settings as long as it's the 6Gb version (not the 3Gb version).

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro w/Air Link, Vive Pro

• Also, you were initially asking for a low budget headset, where Quest 2 is king. If you finally spend plenty of money, consider the HP Reverb G2 which is a superior choice, in particular in terms of text/gauges/control screen readability.

• Also, you were initially asking for a low budget headset, where Quest 2 is king. If you finally spend plenty of money, consider the HP Reverb G2 which is a superior choice, in particular in terms of text/gauges/control screen readability.

G2 is only a good choice if you only use flight sims with flight sticks. Otherwise the G2 inside-out controller tracking is pretty so-so imho. Bought and returned for a refund btw. I think my oled Vive Pro w/etsy gear vr lens mod with index controllers and valve 2.0 base stations is overall a much better PCVR setup, albeit much more expensive. I also have the Vive wireless adapter that works great for all VR games, but not so good for flight sims because it's too much of a cpu resource hog, even with my i9 9900k at 5Ghz oc and water cooled, lol! Best wireless is still Quest 1/2 w/Virtual Desktop imho.

• Ordered on MEGAPORT.fr (german builder)

PC gamer Intel i9 Oracle with options upgrades

• Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-05
    • Intel Core i9-10900KF, 10x 3.70GHz
    • be quiet! Pure Rock 2
    • MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus, S. 1200
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 | MSI Gaming X Trio 12G
    • 32 Go DDR4-3200 | G.Skill RipJaws V
    • 1 To | Crucial P1 (SSD M2)
    • 700 Watt 80 PLUS BRONZE | be quiet! System Power 9
  • yes I will test the Q2 before buying it (a colleague has it)

but before I will change my screen for a curved 4k ..

• yes I will test the Q2 before buying it (a colleague has it)

but before I will change my screen for a curved 4k ..

Most places you buy the Q2 from like Amazon and the Oculus Store) have a 30 day return window. So, much better to try it out on your own system and spend a little time evaluating it imho. A curved 4k monitor with TrackIR 5 would also be nice though. If you have lots of $'s get both, lol!

• the pc is delivered :D

• Is that so? Why?

"Now that some people have taken a step back"

it is a French expression which means, "have more experience"