Wireless VR with Quest 2 and Air Link

• I just got a nice new Oculus Quest 2 yesterday and tested Oculus's new/experimental wireless Air Link option. Actually works pretty well imho. The only problem I had running Aerofly FS2 (Steam version w/Vulkan rendering) was that I needed to run this in SteamVR mode for good results. Running it in Oculus mode gave terrible stutters, esp. with any head movement. With SteamVR the results were surprisingly very good. Pretty well the same as I get wireless w/Virtual Desktop (which also needs to run this and xp11 in SteamVR mode).

I'm not sure if this problem is due to the Oculus sdk not playing well with Vulkan or AF FS2 Vulkan rendering. Since I did not have any problems running xp11 in Vulkan I suspect some of the blame may rest with AF FS2.

I just thought I'd mention this for those trying the Q2 with Air Link. Cheers. :)

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro w/Air Link, Vive Pro

• This is the same bug I've mentioned several times in this forum and tagged the devs. To repeat it again:

• The Vulkan renderer is broken over Oculus Link (and AirLink) when running the native Oculus build. It causes massive head-tracking lag, making things extremely choppy and dragging the world around with your head movements.
    • If you change to OpenGL, it works fine.
    • If you force it to run through steamVR instead of the native Oculus runtime, it also works fine with both renderers.
  • This is the same bug I've mentioned several times in this forum and tagged the devs. To repeat it again:

• The Vulkan renderer is broken over Oculus Link (and AirLink) when running the native Oculus build. It causes massive head-tracking lag, making things extremely choppy and dragging the world around with your head movements.
    • If you change to OpenGL, it works fine.
    • If you force it to run through steamVR instead of the native Oculus runtime, it also works fine with both renderers.

Just tested this again a few minutes ago to be sure, and yep -- still the same behavior, even with the latest AeroFly beta. Graphics driver version makes no difference.

• Oh well, at least both af fs2 and af rc8 with Vulkan both work best with my Vive Pro anyway. My Vive Pro w/Etsy Gear VR lens mod and Index controllers is my main ride with all my flight/racing sims. Thanks to the Index controllers, it's starting to be my main ride with everything else except Oculus store apps (don't like Revive). I still enjoy my Q1 and Q2 for standalone mobile VR, media viewing, and Oculus store apps w/Link and wireless w/VD and Air Link. Nice to have options.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro w/Air Link, Vive Pro

• Can someone from Ipacs answer here, please:

Just run RC8 in OpenGL for now. Really not any significant differences with RC8 imho. Not sure why you are posting this in a FS2 thread? For FS2 with Oculus headsets just run it with SteamVR.

Edited once, last by TomC RLG (May 26, 2021 at 11:44 AM).

• The latest Oculus app v29 now seems to work fine with my Quest 2 with the Oculus version of Aerofly FS2. Steam version that gives you the VR options for SteamVR and Oculus. Using Vulkan rendering and wireless with Air Link. Thanks to my rtx3090 the 120Hz refresh rate looks and works great. Unfortunately RC8 (RC sim) still is a bit buggy with Vulkan (occasional blackouts) but continues to work perfectly with OpenGL.

• thanks for information, I will test it, at the moment we have nice weather and so I fly real 🤗

does 120 Hz also have an effect on Rc8? I thought the program must be developed, supported, again for 120 Hz?

I don't seem to have any problems maintaining 120fps with RC8 OpenGL. I've even got 1.5x in-game rendering (super sampling). I cannot say if it makes a lot of difference from 90Hz though. Maybe just a little smoother.

I have not measured Aerofly FS2 framerates yet, nor have I seen any reason to do so because it's soooo smooth. Even low level heli flying around Wakai Hawaii! Edit, found limiting framerates to 60fps using OTT (45fps fixed, which translates to 60fps fixed ar 120Hz) worked even smoother.

Please keep in mind that I do have a fairly beefy gaming PC (i9 9900k 5Ghz oc water cooled, RTX3090 no oc, 32gb 3000 ram, 1Tb ssd). Also, nice and smooth with X Plane 11.53 Vulkan as well (40fps low level heli flying in NYC).

No ASW (like motion smoothing) with either because I find it gives me too many artifacts like wavy building windows. Plus, I don't seem to need it anyway.

Overall, I'm amazed what a $299 Q2 headset can deliver with Air Link amd 120Hz refresh rate.

I may try it with MSFS2020 sometime in the future when it gets out of beta and includes stock heli's (2022?). I did buy it on Steam a couple of months ago but after a couple of weeks of playing around with it (including VR with my Vive Pro) I gave up and uninstalled it. Way too buggy and VR is really not very well optimised right now, nor does it seem to be a very high priority imho.

Edited once, last by TomC RLG (June 2, 2021 at 12:43 PM).