• It seems to me like in general the torque in hover is less than it should be. At the same time , certain yaw effects due to other controls moved are simulated at full capacity, creating an unrealistic experience.

Auto-trim does not seem to do anything . It would actually be a more realistic way of simulating a helicopter as the cyclic in real life can be left in any position.

I’m using a Nimbus Steelseries on iOS

• Comparing the R22 to the Eurocopter the latter is far more stable and easier to fly, which maybe the case in real life, wouldn't personally know but I suspect that is the case?

However the CYNIC-in-me is guessing that the R22 ipad model is actually a hyper-realistic model and the Eurocopter is a simpler dumbed-down simulation - hence why it is easier to fly here? At least that's the impression I get, without any real world experience. I like the fact that the R22 is HARD, HARD is good, but maybe it is a tad too hard right now??

It would explain why I can't properly control the R22 with my xbox default mapped controller. If I could dial down the stick sensitivity and customise the controller I think I would be better able to handle it. Right now Incan only comfortably fly the Eurocopter on the ipad with xbox controller. The tilt/alternate on screen controls make me fly even worse!

But the Eurocopter as it is is great. No complaints.

AND then again maybe I am wrong and the Eurocopter on the ipad is a hyper-realistic model as well just like the R22. Judging by the scenery and airports it seems every thing these guys do is quality work.

Favourite album: In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

My ride: MB339, B744, Aerofly FS Global, Ipad Pro 2022/11 1TB ipadOS17

XBox Series X/S wireless controller (model 1914)

Edited 2 times, last by HKATER (May 28, 2021 at 12:23 PM).

• Official Post

The real world EC135 has a flight stability augmentation system which stabilizes the helicopter and makes it easier to fly.

The R22 doesn't have that which is part of the reason why flight schools use it.

We can add an artificial stabilization to the R22 cyclic again. That should make it a lot more stable and easier to fly for the average user. On desktop we'll make this assistance optional of course! Not sure if such an option is really needed for mobile...

Regards,

Jan

• Yes personally I would rather an ability to customise a controller than a dumbed down flight model. I like it to be hard. Its part of the challenge of helis. Problem right now is a tiny micromovement of a stick produces a large reaction but maybe the real R22 has the same stick sensitivity and needs very small micro movements to keep it stable?

Overloaded, yes good point - in the real thing I expect I would be even less stable if I wasn't dead. I have noticed that over time I am slowly getting better at hovering the R22 on the ipad and can almost fly it now. At first I could barely stay in a hover. Now I can sort of hover but am jumping around alot trying to do so. Staying in one spot is much harder than the other heli.

Keep it hard. Would also rather IPACS spends time on other things like blade slap on the R22 for example than dumbing it down. Great - good to hear that the handling is so realistic now.

Edited 2 times, last by HKATER (May 28, 2021 at 11:26 PM).

• I’ve added a silicone nub to the cyclic stick and am holding it between my thumb and forefinger . It’s a bit awkward but much better precision than using just thumb. I’m still not perfectly stable in hover .

Turbinerd, I was not getting your point but I see it now. Yes if you are able to increase the length of the "stick" you will decrease its sensitivity since the "tip" will have further to travel. If I could somehow lengthen my cyclic stick (will need to investigate this). A shorter stick (as I have now) will travel less at the tip, for the same output (reaction) at its base and therefore should theoretically be more sensitive to small movements? Not 100% sure about this logic but seems it could work. Seems logical that if you have to push a longer stick further to produce the same reaction at its base as you would have with the shorter stick then it should be easier to control - ie move it a shorter distance, less reaction.

Sounds like the silicon nub not only increases its length but generally makes it bigger and easier to control.

I think that some radio control RC pilots of helis (really good ones) have more than one control on one stick, for example yaw and collective on the one stick, but I personally find that difficult. I prefer one stick to only have one motion - I am referring to another simulator which has mapping like that I don't like. Aerofly default mapping is good enough to fly the helicopters as is.

RADIO CONTROL and Aerofly

PS, those RC guys who fly helicopters upside down are really amazing. I notice they are quite comfortable with the stubby dual sticks like our nimbus and xbox controllers and seem to be super sensitive with highly responsive models. When you see something like that (I did RC helicopters for a few years but decided that I prefer computer simulations) you realise that RC aircraft are not at all the same as the full size models. They operate by the same rules of physics but their tiny inertia makes them behave completely unlike the real aircraft. I personally consider RC to be 1000x harder than the real thing, because of this strange inertia-wind force sensitivity (fixed-wing that is, real world helis might be the reverse). I used to only fly small indoor helis outside early morning when the wind is less strong.

An RC guy I used to know would tell me we have real pilots in RC and they consider it harder to fly, and that is my experience as well with regard to fixed wing.

I often fly helis in RC mode in Aerofly. I just go to a tower or fixed view and fly out of cockpit. Highly recommend it. RC skills, flying an aircraft from a fixed view is much harder than in cockpit and fun to do. Its an extra challenge. Flying an aircraft with reverse-controls (aircraft facing you, outside pilot position) is a real skill.

For years have tried to fly fixed wing in RC mode (end of runway position) but have always dismally failed to do so - my RC skills are lacking. With helis I find it easier to do so. Its the reason I was into RC helis - I crashed less. Just a thought.

Edited 2 times, last by HKATER (May 30, 2021 at 11:36 AM).

• I still can’t hover properly, that is I am worse at it here than using a desktop simulator .I think there is a controller dead zone , which is unrealistic. The small screen does not help the eye catch movement in time to make the small corrections needed to keep in place. It would be nice to get more controller options . There is a decent free simulator for RC but I haven’t yet tested it with the Nimbus.