AMD vs Vulkan: How did I solve my instability issues

• Hello Aeroflyers,

For a very long time I suffered whenever I tried to use Aerofly FS 2 in Vulkan mode. The fps rate is great, but there was always some CTD.

So I tried to use OpenGL. Stability improved, but on the other hand the fps dropped too much and I had stutters. I don't blame the simulator, but my laptop, which has a configuration not ideal for games (A12 mobile + RX540 + 8gb single channel).

So I decided to do a lot of tests. The Vulkan's fluidity is unbeatable and I was willing to be able to fly without the CTDs.

I was able to figure out an ideal situation to test. There was always the CTD. Just take-off from outside the San Francisco region towards that city.

Finally, after testing a lot of things, I came up with the crazy idea of installing a 2018 driver, specifically 18.10.1 without AMD software.

BINGO! No problem flying with ULTRA graphics in any default scenario.

AMD drivers is a crazy thing. They solve some things and spoil others.

Here's a tip: Old drivers

• I have similar issues with this, on my Asus notebook with integrated GPU. AF ran best with the OEM drivers, any newer version from AMD itself created issues. Recently, Asus provided newer Radeon drivers for my notebook, which I installed. Most of the time it works, but CTD happens from time to time. I was also thinking of going back to the OEM drivers from last year.

• I have similar issues with this, on my Asus notebook with integrated GPU. AF ran best with the OEM drivers, any newer version from AMD itself created issues. Recently, Asus provided newer Radeon drivers for my notebook, which I installed. Most of the time it works, but CTD happens from time to time. I was also thinking of going back to the OEM drivers from last year.

Yes. And I realized too less processor heat in other games after have installed the old driver...

• Hi

I more or less regularly try to install newer drivers to see whether they work with Vulkan. Good news on my end: The AMD Radeon 21.12.1 Optional from early December 2021 works fine on my notebook! No CTDs so far! Can`t say the same for OEM drivers from Asus for my notebook - Vulkan won`t run here, just OpenGL.

BTW: While trying OpenGL vs Vulkan I figured that cockpit textures look so much better with Vulkan. When I flew with the EC135 in OpenGL, I couldn`t read some switches (e.g. the lights), and I was sure I was able to read them before, since I new their meanings (texture quality set to low). But when I switched back to Vulkan, they were crisp and sharp, and I was still on the low quality settings! And still had higher FPS. Amazing.

Patrick

• Hi

I more or less regularly try to install newer drivers to see whether they work with Vulkan. Good news on my end: The AMD Radeon 21.12.1 Optional from early December 2021 works fine on my notebook! No CTDs so far! Can`t say the same for OEM drivers from Asus for my notebook - Vulkan won`t run here, just OpenGL.

BTW: While trying OpenGL vs Vulkan I figured that cockpit textures look so much better with Vulkan. When I flew with the EC135 in OpenGL, I couldn`t read some switches (e.g. the lights), and I was sure I was able to read them before, since I new their meanings (texture quality set to low). But when I switched back to Vulkan, they were crisp and sharp, and I was still on the low quality settings! And still had higher FPS. Amazing.

Patrick

Good to know, I will test soon. Ty.
    Best place to test is around KSFO. Try to fly from Monterey (about 150 mn south of KSFO) to KSFO. If works there, probably will work at all sceneries.

I realized this cockpit textures quality too. In OpenGL mode, cockpit texture seens to be related to overall options texture quality. So I assume you are using low texture quality, and it seens to me related to Vulkan stability. Many new drivers works fine on low, but at highest quality seems to be just the old ones that works fine. Maybe the Vulkan problem should be pc or video memory?