VR head movement wobble ONLY with direct Oculus - SteamVR OK

• I've noticed extra head movement "wobble" with my Quest 2 on wired Link and direct Oculus connection at startup - as opposed to the SteamVR connection which is smooth as you rotate your head on the ground with no flying. I noticed that months ago but failed to report it since the SteamVR approach was fine and I wondered if some updates from IPACS would fix it. Maybe it's not that important since there is a work around (use SteamVR) but I was doing some testing today and decided to take the time to report it. I imagine that some setting (enabled/disabled ) or maybe an HMD accelerometer gain is too high. It is very pronounced so my head must remain very fixed to tolerate while flying - thumping the HMD with a finger causes a lot of vibration in the scene. Again, there is no problem with Q2+Link+SteamVR or HP Reverb+WMR.

My PC is a 9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070+32gbRAM. My performance at ORBX Monterrey+EC135 heli is about 60fps (resolution set at 3500x3500 or so) without motion smoothing (ASW for Q2) so I use ASW and get a very solid 45fps so that a tail rotor turn is very smooth visually - not stutters.

• Hi, this is a known and longstanding bug with the Vulkan renderer when using Oculus Link or AirLink and the native Oculus build of AeroFly.

It’s now been mentioned in several threads. Devs say just to use OpenGL. Who knows if it’ll ever be fixed. I’m losing hope.

admin Add 1 more report to the tally.

• Sorry, so far we haven't tested the Quest 2 yet with Aerofly FS, only with the Oculus Rift. We regularly test Aerofly FS with the Rift in OpenGL and Vulkan mode and do not observe any issues, so we don't know what might cause this issue. At this time we recommend to use SteamVR instead, if it runs smooths, there is no benefit compared to running it in native Oculus mode.

• Sorry, so far we haven't tested the Quest 2 yet with Aerofly FS...

I currently use the Quest 2. It's fantastic when wireless via Virtual Desktop and Steam VR. Native Oculus is choppy, at best. Tethered, or wireless. It doesn't matter. In fact, the native wired experience is miserable in every app that I have tried. Go wireless and never look back.

• Native Oculus is choppy, at best. Tethered, or wireless. It doesn't matter. In fact, the native wired experience is miserable in every app that I have tried.

I do believe your experience for your own system, but this hasn’t been my experience nor many others. The built-in wired and wireless Oculus Link connections for Quest/Quest2 are now very stable and working well for most users and apps. Virtual Desktop is a good app, but it’s an extra $20 purchase that isn’t really necessary if people don’t want to buy it.

To prevent straying into tangents, I just want to re-emphasize that this is some kind of bug specific to AeroFly FS2 when using Oculus Link/AirLink (wired or wireless):

• It only happens with the Vulkan renderer and the native Oculus build
    • If you run the native Oculus build with OpenGL instead of Vulkan, it works well
    • If you run the SteamVR build instead of the native Oculus build, that also works well, even with the Vulkan renderer
    • The bug behavior happens identically with wireless AirLink and cabled USB Link
    • The bug is a very odd behavior in headtracking that causes the environment to move with your head movements, but at a slower rate, as if the world is connected to your view by rubber bands that are dragging the scene around with your head motion instead of staying fixed.
    • It only shows up inside the headset. I tried capturing it via the desktop mirror, but everything there is rendered perfectly smooth and fluid.

For what it’s worth, the Quest 2 is now *by far* the most widely-used VR headset, not just for standalone use but also for PCVR. Since AeroFly runs with the Oculus runtime by default for the Quest, and because most people will want to use the latest and greatest Vulkan settings, this bug might be making a pretty bad impression on a lot of new users who have no idea what is causing it, or if it’s “normal.” If so, that’s a shame, because the incredible performance of AeroFly is one of its biggest selling points and is clearly something that IPACS have put a lot of effort into. This bug risks tarnishing that reputation, because new VR users seem to be frequently overwhelmed and impatient, and quick to dismiss apps if they don’t work well with default settings and minimal troubleshooting.