La Gomera and Tenerife Islands

• Thanks to chrispriv's self developed program, the trees and even the bushes are placed in a very natural way.

The program analyzes the photo texture of the landscape and tries to automatically find the correct type and size of the appropriate trees.

(in Beta state).

The program has been used for the Gomera island.

Cheers, Thomas

Edited 4 times, last by TomSimMuc (October 25, 2021 at 9:05 PM).

• Thank you! The scenery looks very nice, I've been in Tenerife 8 times and it's my most favourite vacation destination! :):thumbup:

Regards,

PLΛY

PC: RTX 3070, Ryzen 7 3700X, 16GB RAM, 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD,

Setup: Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick and Saitek Throttle

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra 512 GB

Flight Simulators: Aerofly FS 2, X-Plane 11, X-Plane 12 and MSFS 2020

My Youtube Channel https://youtube.com/@P_L_A_Y

• The program analyzes the photo texture of the landscape and tries to automatically find the correct type and size of the appropriate trees.

(in Beta state).

Very interesting.

High on my wish list is just a user-friendly functional software that can generate vegetation over large areas.

Nabeel's AFS2 Cultivation / Scenery editor is an excellent user-friendly program for small areas (and for editing).

As mentioned before: Can someone (IPACS?) give me access to user-friendly programs - then I will help produce freeware scenery for FS2. :thumbup:

• Very interesting.

High on my wish list is just a user-friendly functional software that can generate vegetation over large areas.

Nabeel's AFS2 Cultivation / Scenery editor is an excellent user-friendly program for small areas (and for editing).

As mentioned before: Can someone (IPACS?) give me access to user-friendly programs - then I will help produce freeware scenery for FS2. :thumbup:

There are good tools out there. You just gotta invest the time in learning how to use them. And if you ask for help with other aspects of the scenery package, there are people here that will help. I started the scenery for Idaho on my own. Learned the tools and put them to work. Along the way, I received some help from some heavy hitters and it's become an excellent package, IMO.

• You just gotta invest the time in learning how to use them.

That's the whole point for me. I do not want to spend my free time learning to "code" (telling the computer what I want it to do). That's not my field of interest.

I have previously (in the 90s) worked professionally with 3D Studio Max. But creating an airport for Aerofly FS2 with 3DS is far too complicated and time consuming.

Fortunately, we have FSCloudPort, which is a great user-friendly software for creating simple airports.

But a good example of what I mean - is to create scenery. In the past, I used a cumbersome technique. Then "nickhod" appeared with his excellent software AeroScenery: User-friendly, intuitive and fast. Heaven for a scenery creator. I was therefore able to produce scenery for large parts of Norway - thanks to this ingenious software (the challenge is still to find good enough orthophotos).

As mentioned, I hope that a similar user-friendly software for producing vegetation emerges. I have used scenProc - but it becomes too cumbersome and inaccurate. Trees and forests in many unwanted places - including lakes. I therefore tried to make my own "forest orthophotos" as a basis for scenProc (see illustration). But still I (or scenProc) can not control where scenProc places trees and forests. Trees are still placed in both the green and white areas. Why?

So if there is a user-friendly software that manages to place trees / forests in the green area (see illustration) - and not in the white area - I will be very happy. :love:

• The photo-detection method especially gives an oportunity, where the OSM data are very poor regarding the vegetation.

What I am working on resp. what I am developing is a simple console app for use on MS Windows without a GUI (similar to "ObjectGen").

It works on the base of downloads done with AeroScenery at zoom level 16 with a resolution of 2.389 meters/pixels (actually I only support this level because at this resolution the photo-detection works optimal).

Even though there is no GUI, the handling is hold very simple. You just would have to copy all *.aero and *.png-files of your AeroScenery "16-stiched"-download-folder into the "...\in\"-folder of my app and execute the app. *.tsc- and *.toc-files are generatet and saved in the "..\out\"-folder. There is a possibility of batch processing of all stiched images within a folder and also to change in the config-file e.g. the density and trees-mix.

Also with photodetection you will get trees in many unwanted places - including lakes. Therefore it is recommended to either mask the images using the ereaser (with alpha channel) or simply colorize the unwanted areas in the color blue, red or white before converting, it's your choise.

Even I never tried it out, the placing of trees with your "forest orthophotos" (see your illustration) should work in principle at zoom level 13, this just only without distinction of trees and small trees resp. bushes (... and you shoud use a darker green for this cause light green is considered to be fields/grass).

To try it out you would have to send me your "forest orthophoto".png together with the GEO-coordinates, preferably within the corresponding *.aero-file at zoom level 16 from AeroScenery via direct contact.