FS2 VR and Oculus Quest 2 not working...

• Hello everyone,

I recently acquired FS2 PC DVD version in the hope of using it in VR with my Oculus Quest 2 headset (which works perfectly with X-Plane 11) and its connection to my Asus ROG Strix15 laptop via the Oculus optical fiber cable.

Alas: no reference to VR settings in FS2 settings !! My questions are:

Does FS2 works in VR with DVD version?

Does FS2 VR works with Oculus Quest 2

Why don't I have the VR settings available despite a complete re-installation of Aerofly FS2?

Many thanks in advance for your help! 8)

• I'm using a Quest 2 with FS2 on PC and all is good. Have you enabled the Link connection?

When you start FS2 with the cable connected and Oculus Link enabled, you should see an option to restart FS2 - click that and FS2 will restart and you should be good to go.

• Thank you for your answer.

Alas, when I have Quest connected (visible into device choice of Oculus app) and rift store menu into the headset, I load FS2 on the PC and I have no suggestion or option to restart... Neither VR options in the settings ! FS2 runs standalone as usual...

Just a question : Have you the DVD FS2 version or the steam one ?

The connection is more easy with X-Plane : after the same process than above, we have a VR dialog with only a check box to open connection and starting VR usage...

• I think "YES", because to get the "VR flying dashboard" on the Quest, you must enable the headset into Oculus WIN app and see the green light of the correct link between headset and PC. All this has no still dependance with which VR app you will load after...

I suspect the steam version and the standalone DVD version to have perhaps different behaviour ? My only "specificity" perhaps is to have installed FS2 on an DDS external memory linked in the fastest USB3 port of my laptop... (X-Plane also without worry...)

• Sorry I meant to say I have the standalone version.

When you put your headset on, do you see the same menu etc that you see when the headset isn't connected to the PC via cable? If so, that means the PC Link isn't enabled and you need to go to Quick Settings -> Oculus Link. This is all whilst wearing the headset. Plugging the headset in and starting the Oculus software on the PC isn't sufficient.

• Yes, all process you describe is correctly executed... By order :

-A file transfer authorization screen between the PC and the headset

-A guardian definition or validation followed by virtual Oculus dashboard apparition

-An invitation to make the link by quick settings with the app Oculus link followed by screen ads for Rift games now downloadable into the Quest

At this moment the link process is completed and I can load a VR app running on Windows and displayed into the headset after authorization into the VR app... But at this moment, when I load FS2 : nothing relative to VR...

A question : FS2 runs on C:/ at your house ?

• In response to the suggestion of IPACS support, I will transcribe here my last tests and their disappointing result for the members of the developer forum:

Following consultation of the WiKi FS2, I proceed now as follows:
    1- When the Oculus Quest 2 headset is properly connected to the PC as indicated by the Windows Oculus application, I launch the version of the "start" group of Aerofly with the tag (Start in Oculus VR mode)
    2- Into the headset, the "Oculus Link" virtual desktop is replaced by a single blue panel with the image of the "Learjet 45" and the following mentions:
    "Aerofly FS2 Flight Simulator"
    Executable main
    "loading ..."
    And ... nothing more happens in the headset which remains frozen on this panel during...
    On the PC, FS2 is loaded as usual on its home menu and executes its commands normally without worrying about the headset …

I would add that the same physical and software configuration works perfectly in VR with another flight simulator (X-Plane 11) where we activate the use of the link by a checkbox of preferences and is therefore not "automatic " like here.

Many thanks by advance for your help

• jangai December 25, 2021 at 2:38 PM

Changed the title of the thread from “FS2 VR and Oculus Quest 2” to “FS2 VR and Oculus Quest 2 not working...”.
  • Aerofly performs best with SteamVR, as far as I know there are still performance issues with Quest 2 headsets using "Oculus VR" even if you get it working....
    Everything works fine here with Quest 2/ Virtual Desktop/Oculus Airlink or cable and the Steam version of Aerofly using SteamVR.
    Try installing Steam and add the DVD version of Aerofly as a non Steam game to your Steam Llibrary...(left bottom Steam window)
    If that doesn't work you can ask IPACS for a Steam key and install the Steam version of Aerofly (which is preferable because of automatic updates)
    For a quick flight I prefer Aerofly over the other 'big three' because of the superfast loading times and the R22 might have the most realistic flight dynamiics of all virtual heli's in any sim....
    Hope this will help, have a good XMas!

Regards,

Peter Splinter

i5-7400@3,4 GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660 Super, Pico 4, Quest 2 , 'Vintage' Pro Flight Trainer, X52 Pro, VKB pedals

Edited 2 times, last by PjotR22 (December 25, 2021 at 8:37 PM).

• Ya, I find SteamVR is the best way to run FS2 with my Quest 2 (Link or Air Link). I just startup Link (or Air Link), go to the Rift home virtual desktop, startup SteamVR and then select FS2 from the tiled SteamVR void menu tiles.

The Oculus runtime does not work with Vulkan but if you start it up from SteamVR it work fine. Some say that the Oculus runtime works ok with OpenGL but I've never bothered trying this.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro w/Air Link, Vive Pro

• Thanks for info Tom,

I'm trying to follow your loading process right away, but once on the "RIFT desktop" how do you select Steam VR (and choosing the right version)? The "Applications" key opens for me an empty black panel with o,ly a key at the bottom for a virtual keyboard? Maybe this is my anomaly? However, I get a panel of VR favorites with the FS2 icon present. if I activate it, an alert sound from the PC which opened a SteamVR dialogue asking me if I confirm that I want to launch a SteamVR app from the headset. I validate and Steam VR launches FS2 which waits quietly on its home screen while the headset displays a panel with a photo of the Learjet and a mention at the bottom "loading ..." which never succeeds .... Something is misconfigured, but what ??? Mystery!

I hope you understand my bad english... :/

• If all you see is on your Q2 headset is a blue screen but on your PC monitor you can see everything ok then try pressing your keyboard space bar to re-centre the view. You can do this a number of times if necessary.

If you still have problems maybe contact Aerofly fs2 support. good luck mate and cheers.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro w/Air Link, Vive Pro

• I have just posted a similar issue as a new thread, but mine is with the G2. Exactly as yours though, says launching in the headset, but doesn't only on the monitor and no VR option in settings either.

• I have just posted a similar issue as a new thread, but mine is with the G2. Exactly as yours though, says launching in the headset, but doesn't only on the monitor and no VR option in settings either.

Hello,

Here is my great wish : great hope than 2022 give us our paid versions of Aerofly FS2 working in VR with our Oculus Quest 2 ! I begin to pray... pray... pray...

-For Klinger66UK info : If my first tests was with FS2 DVD boxed version, I have bought Steam version (great Christmas discount) and after choosing "VR Oculus" version into the steam app asking me to choose a version.... All is exactly the same ! No VR into the headset...

-For TomC RLG, when I speak from blue panel with Learjet photo, it is only a 3D panel like others 3D panels produced on "3D virtual desktop" of Oculus Quest but not a full blue screen like PC users could know... :)

I hope an IPAC engineer will quickly read this post and give us some interesting advices to finally make FS2 work for us...

• I have no issues running Aerofly FS 2 in VR with my Quest 2.
    Normally I connect with Virtual Desktop and run in SteamVR.

I just tested with AirLink (and cable) and it runs fine in Steam VR and Oculus VR over here....

When AirLink is running (or cable is connected) I open my Steam library on my monitor, start Aerofly, choose Steam VR or Oculus VR and wait for the Aerofly menu to open on my monitor. After starting a session I put on the Quest 2 again and everything works fine....

Regards,

Peter Splinter

i5-7400@3,4 GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660 Super, Pico 4, Quest 2 , 'Vintage' Pro Flight Trainer, X52 Pro, VKB pedals