Correct File Structure For Adding Aircraft?

• I have to be doing something wrong! Apparently, I am not creating the correct file structure for adding aircraft. Could someone list the complete file "tree" for adding the planes? Thanks a lot!

Steve in Kansas

• Thanks for the quick reply! Why do some airplane developers say to create a new file? Do I just unzip the aircraft file download into the Addons folder under Airplanes? I'm really confused! Thanks again.

Edited once, last by Jet-Pack (IPACS): Merged a post created by Grover2005 into this post. (January 15, 2022 at 9:09 AM).

• Hello Grover2005 -

Originally the Documents\AFS2\addons folder contained both an aircraft folder and a scenery folder. Since a recent update, the aircraft folder is now directly under Documents\ AFS2. I prefer to unzip in my main downloads folder, and move the [aircraftname] folder to the Documents\AFS2\aircraft.

That way I can make sure I don't get Documents\AFS2\aircraftname\aircraftname\ as a structure.

• Bonjour a tous, je suis nouveau sur le forum,

quelqu'un aurait-il la même procédure sur MAC

en effet j'ai trouvé sur ce forum un auto, mais je n'arrive pas a trouver le répertoire pour installer des avions,

merci d'avance pour l'aide apportée par ce forum

• Don't use the addon folder, just put the aircraft into the aircraft folder.

Documents/Aerofly FS 2/aircraft/aircraftname/

Just out of curiosity what was the technical reason behind stop using the "addons" folder? I think I've read somewhere it was related to performance since the old folder was read at game start and could potentially slow down the loading times. Or maybe this was something else. I noticed that if I place aircraft or scenery files inside "addons" it still works.

Another question, what about addon scenery? I noticed that many packages still recommend "Documents/Aerofly FS 2/addons/scenery/" instead of Documents/Aerofly FS 2/scenery/" as the root, but I suppose that for scenery we should now also use the "scenery" folder directly instead of the one inside "addons", right?

Thanks in advance. :)

• Installing user content is as varied as the people who create it. Some offer instructions which make sense on one system (Windows/IOS/MAC) but not another and some offer NO instructions at all. I have found installs very difficult on my MAC but when I do manage to get them to work, they are beautiful creations. There is a LOT of content out there but the install is a crap shoot. It would be nice to have "standardized" instructions or perhaps a thread that addresses install instructions.

Andy M (USAF Veteran)

Military & Commercial Aviation Geek

• Ich nutze auch einen Mac und habe kürzlich die beim Mac möglichen drei Varianten des Abspeicherns von Dritt-Anbietern zusammengestellt und an IPACS mit der Bitte um Empfehlung für die beste Möglichkeit gesandt. Wenn ich die Antwort habe, werde ich sie entsprechend aufarbeiten und dann auf https://flight-sim.org/ veröffenlichen.

--------------------

I also use a Mac and have recently compiled the three variants of third-party saving possible on the Mac and sent them to IPACS with a request for a recommendation for the best option. When I have the answer, I will edit it accordingly and then publish it on https://flight-sim.org/.

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

- MacBook Pro (16", 2021); Chip: Apple M1 Max; actual macOS || Thrustmaster TCA AIRBUS EDITION: 1x Sidestick, 2x Quadrant, 2x Quadrant Add-On || Pro-Flight-Trainer PUMA X

- iPad (12,9", 4th Generation, RAM: 6 GB); actual iOS || nimbus steelseries

Edited once, last by ApfelFlieger (March 4, 2022 at 3:32 PM).

• In regards to scenery. I still very much appreciate the add-ons folder as it makes project installs very simple. No need to have one project located in multiple different areas. This is just my personal preference.

This is the primary reason for my question. Graphics conflicts seem to be the biggest issue.

Andy M (USAF Veteran)

• Andy, if you install the east frisian scenery with the given mac path does it work for you?

The path is taken from the wiki.

Installation on MAC:

Unzip, than copy /places and /images to: /Users/.../Library/Containers/com.aerofly.aerofly-fs-2-

mac/Data/Library/Application Support/Aerofly FS 2/addons/Scenery/east_frisian_islands

Cheers, Thomas

• I have feedback from IPACS regarding saving user sceneries on Apple machines:

Preliminary comment:

IPACS is not so happy with the APP version from the app store because "Apple just doesn't do a good job of providing updates and large files" (original quote in German: "... weil Apple einfach nicht gute Moeglichkeiten bietet Update und grosse Datei zu liefern").

Therefore, the preferred version is the STEAM version (note from me: the STEAM version can also be used OFFLINE).

Storage path for the APP version:

• /Users/username/Library/Containers/com.aerofly.aerofly-fs-2-mac/Data/Library/Application Support/Aerofly FS 2/scenery...
      • .../elevation...
        • .../scenery_directories_with_the_data_for_elevation
      • .../images...
        • .../scenery_directories_with_the_data_for_images
      • .../places...
        • .../scenery_directories_with_the_data_for_airports_and_places

According to IPACS, updates by Aerofly FS will not change the files stored there. It is also assumed that nothing will change there by Apple -- but there is unfortunately no absolute certainty.

However, before deleting the APP version, you should back up this data.

Storage paths for the STEAM version:

• /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Aerofly FS 2/scenery...
      • .../airports...
        • .../scenery_directories_with_the_data_for_airports
      • .../elevation...
        • .../scenery_directories_with_the_data_for_elevation
      • .../images...
        • .../scenery_directories_with_the_data_for_images
      • .../places...
        • .../scenery_directories_with_the_data_for_places (and_airports also works)

or

• /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Aerofly FS 2/addons/scenery...
      • .../scenery_directory_1...
        • .../airports...
          • .../directories_with_the_data_for_the_airports_for_this_scenery
        • .../elevation...
          • .../directories_with_the_data_for_the_elevation_for_this_scenery
        • .../images...
          • .../directories_with_the_data_for_the_images_for_this_scenery
        • .../places...
          • .../directories_with_the_data_for_the_places_for_this_scenery (and_airports also works)

(Personal note from me: the bolded version (first of the two) is personally my favorite).

According to IPACS, updates by Aerofly FS will not change the files stored there.

However, before deleting the STEAM version, you should back up this data.

Note at the end: This information is given to the best of my knowledge and belief.

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

- MacBook Pro (16", 2021); Chip: Apple M1 Max; actual macOS || Thrustmaster TCA AIRBUS EDITION: 1x Sidestick, 2x Quadrant, 2x Quadrant Add-On || Pro-Flight-Trainer PUMA X

• Analogous to the sceneries applies to saving the aircraft data of users:

Storage path for the APP version:

• /Users/username/Library/Containers/com.aerofly.aerofly-fs-2-mac/Data/Library/Application Support/Aerofly FS 2/aircraft...

According to IPACS, updates by Aerofly FS will not change the files stored there. It is also assumed that nothing will change there by Apple -- but there is unfortunately no absolute certainty.

However, before deleting the APP version, you should back up this data.

Storage paths for the STEAM version:

• /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Aerofly FS 2/aircraft...

According to IPACS, updates by Aerofly FS will not change the files stored there.

However, before deleting the STEAM version, you should back up this data.

Note at the end: This information is given to the best of my knowledge and belief.

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

• Andy, if you install the east frisian scenery with the given mac path does it work for you?

The path is taken from the wiki.

Installation on MAC:

Unzip, than copy /places and /images to: /Users/.../Library/Containers/com.aerofly.aerofly-fs-2-

mac/Data/Library/Application Support/Aerofly FS 2/addons/Scenery/east_frisian_islands

I have it installed and it works without issues. Most of the problems I am having are in Chicago, Miami, and Orlando. Thanks!

Andy M (USAF Veteran)