Is the visual distance of the airport deliberately set to about 7 nautical miles?

• Yes, it is shorter with Aerofly FS 2022 than 2021. Even on the Apple M1 devices.

It is 8.5 Nm (or less) instead of 13 Nm before.

MacBook Pro | M1 Pro | Thrustmaster Captain Airbus Edition | DualSense (for travel)
    X-Plane 12 | ToLiSS A320neo | BetterPushback
    iPad | Navigraph | WebFMC

• It is usually not realistic to see sharply defined runways and airport buildings at much greater distances in daylight, they are actually lost in clutter and atmospheric haze. Perhaps with lights on and at night the distance could be greater? but at night in real life there is an enormous amount of competing lights, confusion that the sim cannot replicate.

In real life you need to identify nearby features on the long approach to a runway to be reasonably well lined up when the runway does come into in sight. Not making it too easy adds authenticity to the simulation. Having a chart or a SkyVector.com type e-chart at hand (say on a separate device) makes a big difference.

• It is usually not realistic to see sharply defined runways and airport buildings at much greater distances in daylight, they are actually lost in clutter and atmospheric haze. Perhaps with lights on and at night the distance could be greater? but at night in real life there is an enormous amount of competing lights, confusion that the sim cannot replicate.

In real life you need to identify nearby features on the long approach to a runway to be reasonably well lined up when the runway does come into in sight. Not making it too easy adds authenticity to the simulation. Having a chart or a SkyVector.com type e-chart at hand (say on a separate device) makes a big difference.

The problem is that without these parameters to study, even in the case of excellent weather, you can only see the airport about 12km. This value is a fixed value rather than a variable,

• I think the problem lies in the sudden loading link. If the real situation is better simulated, the human eye can see more details through the reduction of the receiving distance. For example, I first see the main terminal. With the reduction of the distance, I see the runway I want to land, and even the terminal building, um, satellite hall. Because there are few options to refer to at present, it is not a bad thing to enlarge the visual distance, of course, unless it can better "gradually load details"

The buildings appear suddenly when you are on finale. The magical ghost towns on mobile.

MacBook Pro | M1 Pro | Thrustmaster Captain Airbus Edition | DualSense (for travel)

• Have you done it? there is a world of other stuff out there, you are trying to recognise 'your snowball'.

In the early days of GPS I got into perfect alignment with a 9,000 foot runway from 15 miles out on a clear day, I could not recognise the field because the runway was end on and it was a perfect geometric rectangle looking just like an ordinary distant grey shed! =O

• Have you done it? there is a world of other stuff out there, you are trying to recognise 'your snowball'.

In the early days of GPS I got into perfect alignment with a 9,000 foot runway from 15 miles out on a clear day, I could not recognise the field because the runway was end on and it was a perfect geometric rectangle looking just like an ordinary distant grey shed! =O

15 nautical miles is very difficult. Do you think the distance of 8 nautical miles or 9 nautical miles is enough, or is the setting of 7 nautical miles correct? In fact, it is not fixedly loaded. Sometimes when driving a Boeing 747, you need 6.3 nautical miles to "suddenly appear" on the runway

• It is not a question of being able to see the airport or not. It appears suddenly and I can see it appear.

• You can see it pop up because it's close enough to the range of the glide slope. If you still can't see it after this distance, it's even more abnormal. The question discussed is whether these seven nautical miles are realistic. If you are far away, such as 10 nautical miles away, and the things you want to see have been loaded, you won't see the "sudden appearance", which is not difficult to understand

• If you are not satisfied with the distance of 7 nautical miles, then continue to increase, 10 nautical miles, 12 nautical miles. At this time, someone will ask that there is no airport beyond 12 nautical miles, which is not in line with the fact. This is the focus of the debate. If in reality, we must be close enough to 7 nautical miles to see the airport, then the setting in the game is correct. Even if you see "sudden appearance", it is also in line with the reality, The question is whether we can actually look further and modify the data of 7 nautical miles, because it looks more "stuck"

The premise is to conform to the facts

• Maybe this is related to the hardware performance, but if it can be done, I hope the official can force the visual distance to 9 nautical miles according to the rigid standard. For every 1 nautical mile or 0.5 nautical mile increase in this distance, the feeling of "sudden appearance" will be reduced very little. Of course, 13 nautical miles may be a bit exaggerated, I hope

I did a rough experiment with KLAX. Obviously, it "suddenly appeared" 6.8 nautical miles away, so it may be farther. Long distance early loading will reduce or even eliminate this feeling. Of course, officials know more about hardware problems and game settings than we do

so: admin What are the official views on this issue