Aerofly FS4 and R-22

• Having fun with the AI traffic to fly formation with in the new version. But for some reason, the R-22 seems uncontrollable in the new version. I have the puma helicopter flight controls and can fly the R-22 in Aerofly fs-2 very well, but in Aerofly fs4, it’s uncontrollable. The cyclic seems to stick/delay vs the movements made and the pedals stick or do not work as well. Swapping back immediately to Aerofly fs2 with the same controls and everything’s perfect again. Any ideas? Do I need to do some new controls tweaks in the new version? It all works fine in the king air in both versions.

Thanks!

• Official Post

The physics are the same, maybe you need to adjust the graphics quality to get the same frame rate? And calibrate the joystick and set the deadzone? For the same frame rate and the same visual picture you need to select a lower graphics quality in FS4. It is tuned for higher performance graphics cards.

Regards,

Jan

• The physics are the same, maybe you need to adjust the graphics quality to get the same frame rate? And calibrate the joystick and set the deadzone? For the same frame rate and the same visual picture you need to select a lower graphics quality in FS4. It is tuned for higher performance graphics cards.

I’ll see what I can adjust.

Reverb G2.

Corsair VENGEANCE I7300 GAMING PC, I7-12700K, RTX 3080, 2TB M.2, 32GB DDR5-4800

• I found lowering the sensitivity in your controller settings helps quite a bit. Deadzone did not do much for me but it may depend on your controller's accuracy around centre stick. Basically seems to fly the same (= realistic) as FS2, to me anyway.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro w/Air Link, Vive Pro

• I recalibrated within FS4 and that, or something else like the back and forth restarts, seem to have helped the sticking controls. But the touchiness, especially in the cyclic while controllable was still too sensitive in my opinion vs what I’m used to real world, and as compared to FS2. I bumped the sensitivity down a touch and it seems to be back to what I’m used to. FS2 is still in the middle sensitivity position though, so I’m still not sure what’s different but it seems to be working better now.

One additional new issue I’ve noticed is the start up screen in the VR goggles sometimes moves a little with head movements, as do the clouds (distort/elongate). FS2 no issues with the startup screen moving, though the clouds themselves are new in FS4. Is that a graphics adjustment issue?

• I recalibrated within FS4 and that, or something else like the back and forth restarts, seem to have helped the sticking controls. But the touchiness, especially in the cyclic while controllable was still too sensitive in my opinion vs what I’m used to real world, and as compared to FS2. I bumped the sensitivity down a touch and it seems to be back to what I’m used to. FS2 is still in the middle sensitivity position though, so I’m still not sure what’s different but it seems to be working better now.

One additional new issue I’ve noticed is the start up screen in the VR goggles sometimes moves a little with head movements, as do the clouds (distort/elongate). FS2 no issues with the startup screen moving, though the clouds themselves are new in FS4. Is that a graphics adjustment issue?

Ya, I found moving the stick sensitivity down helped me a lot as did reducing some graphics quality settings down a notch. I kinda cheated and moved my sensitivity all the way to Low and this makes these heli's much easier to fly, lol!

I also noticed the startup screen in VR wobbles around a bit with both my Vive Pro and Quest 2 headsets when moving my head. Also, as already mentioned by others, cumulus clouds rotate around when you move your head. Just the usual Early Access bug issues that I'm confident will be fixed soon. Cheers mate.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro w/Air Link, Vive Pro

• Update. I’ve moved the to sensitivity to full low in Aerofly FS4 but still find it way more difficult to precisely control the R-22 vs in Aerofly FS2 so I find myself primarily going back to FS2 now when I want to fly the helo. I’m a real world helicopter pilot so I do understand how touchy they should be. I’m just not understanding why they seem different if the flight model didn’t change between the two versions. I like the AI traffic additions in FS4 though for practicing formation along with the scenery upgrades.

• Update. I’ve moved the to sensitivity to full low in Aerofly FS4 but still find it way more difficult to precisely control the R-22 vs in Aerofly FS2 so I find myself primarily going back to FS2 now when I want to fly the helo. I’m a real world helicopter pilot so I do understand how touchy they should be. I’m just not understanding why they seem different if the flight model didn’t change between the two versions. I like the AI traffic additions in FS4 though for practicing formation along with the scenery upgrades.

I think the R-22 feels the same with FS2 at mid sensitivity as FS4 at low sensitivity (in PCVR with my OG Vive Pro). Also, even with my rtx3090 I found I needed to reduce most Ultra settings I had with FS2 down a notch with FS4. The only ultra settings I kept was building density. Not sure why your R-22 is so twitchy. Maybe a control stick trim can fix this? Could also be that one of your control stick pots is worn out. Maybe go to your win10 device/printers and select your control stick, and try to recalibrate it. Then see if your controls seem to centre properly. Then try a recalibration with FS4.

• Hi there,

I have a PUMA PFT control set and found the same issue when i first ran the game, I had to recalibrate in windows and then in the game. Dont forget to use the little red centre guide. Now its all good and I didn't have to mess with dead zone or sensitivity at all.

Good luck!

• Hi there,

I have a PUMA PFT control set and found the same issue when i first ran the game, I had to recalibrate in windows and then in the game. Dont forget to use the little red centre guide. Now its all good and I didn't have to mess with dead zone or sensitivity at all.

Good luck!

Thanks. Did you try FS2 again after? Does it mess it up or change the calibration there after fixing it for FS4?

• Just getting back to this after a while away from helicopters in FS4. I had given up and had just gone back to FS2. I just decided to try again and recalibrated the puma controls in windows and both FS2 and FS4. Today I also tried playing with the dead zone. That actually seemed to help but I still don’t understand the difference in sensitivity between FS2 and FS4 if the flight dynamics model is the same. In FS2, puma controls sensitivity is set to about 1/3 low and dead zone is set to none. The R-22 is in FS2 sensitive as it should be (comparing to real world experience), but very flyable. In FS4 I have the puma controls set with sensitivity to full low, and now dead zone set to 3/4 high. I found that helped a little, but the FS2 R-22 still flies easier/better than the one in FS4. Looking at the displayed controls, in FS2 they show much more movement than in FS4 with the now-dampened settings, as I’d expect, but the pendular reactions are so much greater in the FS4 model that I can’t understand where the change is or how to correct it yet.

• I don't have Puma controls, but Virpil controls with extension.

AFS2 R22 and AFS4 R22 react exactly the same.

I fly only R22, nothing else.

Don't you have setup more windy weather at AFS4 than AFS2?