• Just wanted to thank the developer for adding the Junker 52. Been having a blast doing circuits at RAF Kenley (pretending it is Croydon, London retro 1930's) on 2 engines. I can get airborne on one engine but can't climb so that is a no go. It is a cool machine. Plenty of grass runways to keep me occupied.

If anyone can do a circuit on one engine and survive they must be Biggles. The cockpit has alot more funcionality than I was expecting - beware the prop pitch levers - they seem to work. At cruise you can lose alot of power by moving them. Finding out what switch does what is part of the fun. I believe the bottom set of hand-wheels (lower left in right hand seat) control the carburator heat or hydraulics? Not sure if they do anything in the sim. Rudder trim escapes me - assuming there is one? Taxing is a challenge but can be done by riding the brakes to tighten the turn. Taxing on two engines is almost impossible - can only turn in one direction. It is fun choosing which engine to shut down and see the effect on the aircraft. Engine start and stop is possible - takes some working out. There is an engine start button (master battery?) to the left hand side of the engine start levers in the center console. You need to use both the levers and this switch.

Favourite album: In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

My ride: MB339, B744, Aerofly FS Global, Ipad Pro 2022/11 1TB ipadOS17

XBox Series X/S wireless controller (model 1914)

• There is a selection switch at ‘11 O’ Clock’ just inside the control wheel at the base of the left seat. It changes the wheel’s operation from flap movement to elevator trim. The Bf 109 would be similar but with twin wheels.

The amazing magneto switches and the three oil dilution levers are special to the 52/3M too as is the navigation heading display thing’s selector wind-up handle compass-rose thing!

Edited once, last by Overloaded (July 11, 2022 at 3:44 PM).

• There is a selection switch at ‘11 O’ Clock’ just inside the control wheel at the base of the left seat. It changes the wheel’s operation from flap movement to elevator trim. The Bf 109 would be similar but with twin wheels.

The amazing magneto switches and the three oil dilution levers are special to the 52/3M too as is the navigation heading display thing’s selector wind-up handle compass-rose thing!

Thanks for the flaps tip - that is hard to spot. Will have to play around with that one. Not being able to use the NDB is the only downside to this one. You really are flying visual. Yes the compass took me some time to work out.

• Awesome thank you. So far I have as a retro approximation

RAF Kenley = Croydon

Grimbergen EBGB= Haren

Hilversum = Amsterdam

happy days...

• Thanks a lot! We definitely need a CRJ autopilot tutorial though. I really don’t understand the NAV mode…

• Not being able to use the NDB is the only downside to this one. You really are flying visual.

Does the ADF receiver work? My instrument panel graphics are horribly blurred so the labels are illegible, is the receiver selector labelled ‘Off, Sum (ADF), Ant and Loop or similar? I tried the second position. Are the three knobs tuning, audio volume and lighting?

The tutorial cockpit guide indicates an ADF display in the left panel.

Where are the switches for the instrument lights? no mention in the ‘cold and dark’.

The ADF works if all the power switches behind the right seat are turned on.

Edited once, last by Overloaded (July 13, 2022 at 2:07 PM).

• Does the ADF receiver work? My instrument panel graphics are horribly blurred so the labels are illegible, is the receiver selector labelled ‘Off, Sum (ADF), Ant and Loop or similar? I tried the second position. Are the three knobs tuning, audio volume and lighting?

Where are the switches for the instrument lights? no mention in the ‘cold and dark’.

The lights are behind the co pilots seat ;)

• Does the ADF receiver work? My instrument panel graphics are horribly blurred so the labels are illegible, is the receiver selector labelled ‘Off, Sum (ADF), Ant and Loop or similar? I tried the second position. Are the three knobs tuning, audio volume and lighting?

The ADF works if all the power switches behind the right seat are turned on.

Are you saying that the ADF works? I haven't been able to get it to work. Mine just moves around like a compass depending which direction the nose is pointing. It seems impossible to set a frequency as the radios are not clearly visible. I tried setting a flight plan with NDB navigation points to see if that helps but it makes no difference so far (logically that should be the way for the programmer to allow you to use the ADF without having to set a frequency in game, ie it is automatically set as you fly by the flight plan behind the scenes) - maybe I am missing a switch that needs turning on?

But then again it is so blurry (the graphics detail is unreadable) that in its present state it might be unuseable?

For some strange reason I can only start engines after I have shut them down first from a 'ready to taxi' starting state. The cold and dark doesn't work for me. I have followed the tutorial. Maybe I need to update the app.

Been struggling with the flaps and trim alot until I worked out that it was my xbox assignments, modified in ios15 settings. I have to leave the throttle and flap control to the central four-way switch. By assigning throttle to a stick, the flaps and trim seemed to be out of my control, even after turning off the flight assistant. Now I have full control of flaps (and trim I believe). Really frustrating trying to land when the flaps and trim are constantly changing every time I adjust the throttle! I am now able to make a decent approach and landing.

The only xbox problem I am unable to fix is the sensitivity. The sticks are quite touchy - need to be a bit less sensitive. Presently they are like a small RC model on some aircraft - but it works. This sensitivity depends on the model. On the Ju52 it is alot less touchy.

Edited 3 times, last by HKATER (July 14, 2022 at 10:56 PM).

• Park the Ju 52 at Byron east of San Francisco.

Turn on the FT power switch on the wall behind the right seat.

Set the ADF receiver knobs as in the earlier picture (above in post #15).

The bottom right selector knob gets set on the second SUM/ADF position.

The top left band selector is set at the left 200-400 KHz position.

The knob pointer is small, it is opposite the big movement lever.

Turn the bottom left tuning knob all the way clockwise.

Slowly turn the tuning knob anti-clockwise. With only a little movement the top right signal strength meter needle will move from left to right and at the same time the big ADF needle on the instrument panel will indicate about 350 degrees on the scale. If you check the Navigation page you will see that it is pointing at the HU NDB on 400 KHz.

On the map HU is about 005 true bearing, the magnetic variation in that part of California is about 15 degrees east so the magnetic bearing is 005 minus 15 or 350 degrees magnetic (360 + 005 -15).

Turn the tuning knob all the way anti-clockwise and back it slowly clockwise, it will soon indicate the Tracy NDB on 203 KHz at a bearing of 120 degrees magnetic, 135 degrees true which matches the Navigation page map (135 true) and the instrument panel ADF scale (120 magnetic).

The blurred hard to read scale is unfortunately in reverse sense, 400 is on the left, 200 on the right.

We have to guess the frequencies as the scale is illegible. If we had audio identification of the navigation aids as exists in the real sensible world we could check the morse code identification transmitted by the NDB, Tracy is TCY or

— - — -

— - — —

which would confirm that we were tuned to the correct NDB. Morse is actually easy, honest!

You can sweep the scale and work out all the surrounding NDBs.

For easier practice the 737-300 has a similar tuning receiver and you can check the exact frequency in the CDU’s nav page display.

• Thank you, awesome. Haven't used an ADF for quite a while. Will do this. Glad to hear that it works. Yeh might try the 737 first to re-familiarise myself how to use an ADF first.