Please Help a Newby - Need Equipment Advice

• is a card with 3080 in the description "better" than 3070? And 3070 "better" than 3060, so on and so forth?

Exactly - and this is true for both, NVidia and AMD cards. Then, if the card has suffiy like "ti" for NVidia or "XT" for AMD it's faster than the non-suffix version but slower than the next higher number (3070ti is faster than 3070 but slower than 3080).

Please get a least a NVIDIA 3060 TI

As AMD cards of the same performance class are still somewhat less expensive as their NVidia counterparts - how well do AMD cards in Aerofly FS? I would expect with Vulkan they should do fine but perform significantly slower with OpenGL.

A Radeon 6600XT for example is, on the paper, just slightly slower than a Geforce 3060ti but significantly cheaper too.

• Exactly - and this is true for both, NVidia and AMD cards. Then, if the card has suffiy like "ti" for NVidia or "XT" for AMD it's faster than the non-suffix version but slower than the next higher number (3070ti is faster than 3070 but slower than 3080).

As AMD cards of the same performance class are still somewhat less expensive as their NVidia counterparts - how well do AMD cards in Aerofly FS? I would expect with Vulkan they should do fine but perform significantly slower with OpenGL.

A Radeon 6600XT for example is, on the paper, just slightly slower than a Geforce 3060ti but significantly cheaper too.

Thanks. I'm looking for a RTX 3060 Ti. I guess I'll have to get a larger power supply as my 450w unit might be marginal once the GPU is installed.

Incidentally, my PC is silent in its current configuration. I see most of these GPU's are of huge form factor and have two or three integrated cooling fans. I hope they don't generate much noise.

I'm also wondering if they will fit in this case without any interference issues (Thermaltake Versa H17 Micro ATX Mini Tower)?

• Well... if you have a micro ATX case I really recommend to check if the actual graphics card model you buy (not all 3060ti are the same size) fits into your case. Some cards, especially the powerful ones, are pretty long and don't fit into smaller cases. If your case is this one the larger cards should fit well judging by the pictures there. Just make sure the card is not longer than 350mm and is a dual slot design (some are triple slot designs), then it should work.

As for the PSU, depending on it's build quality (if this is a old and cheap LC Power just forget it), it might be enough for a 3060 or 6600XT but I expect it to be to weak for the 3060ti which has a higher power consumption - anyway, I guess you will need a more powerfull PSU for any of the GPUs mentioned before.

The noise heavily depends on the actual graphics card vendor and model so you should look for comparison reviews and check how they do.

• Well... if you have a micro ATX case I really recommend to check if the actual graphics card model you buy (not all 3060ti are the same size) fits into your case. Some cards, especially the powerful ones, are pretty long and don't fit into smaller cases. If your case is this one the larger cards should fit well judging by the pictures there. Just make sure the card is not longer than 350mm and is a dual slot design (some are triple slot designs), then it should work.

As for the PSU, depending on it's build quality (if this is a old and cheap LC Power just forget it), it might be enough for a 3060 or 6600XT but I expect it to be to weak for the 3060ti which has a higher power consumption - anyway, I guess you will need a more powerfull PSU for any of the GPUs mentioned before.

The noise heavily depends on the actual graphics card vendor and model so you should look for comparison reviews and check how they do.

Yes, that is the case and this is the 450w power supply.

Thanks for the feedback regarding the length dual slot deign. It's helpful.

• As I said, the PSU might work if you go for a very efficient new graphics card, maybe with the AMD RX 6600XT but it's more likely it won't be powerful enough, especially with the 3060ti which needs a lot more power than the slightly less powerful AMD. Sadly I can't tell you how AMD cards compare to NVidia cards in Aerofly FS.

admin Can you tell us how well AMD cards work in Aerofly FS compared to the same class NVidia cards?

• Official Post

Regarding the difference between NVIDA or AMD graphic cards: When you are using a NVIDIA or AMD graphic card that are roughly in the same performance class, they will both perform well when using our Vulkan renderer, which should be the default setting in Aerofly FS 4. However if you switch over to OpenGL ( which you shouldn't really do ), AMD performance is a lot slower due to less optimized drivers from AMD.

We use an AMD 6600 XT for internal testing and this card performs really well even if using maximum quality settings over densly populated areas like Los Angeles.

If you want to get the fastest possible graphic card, we think NVIDIA still has a an advantage over AMD with it NVIDIA RTX 3090 TI. But this comes at a price.

So in our view doesn't really matter if you choose NVIDIA or AMD, unless you need the fastest card out there.

• If you are using a Quest 2 with Link or Air Link you are best to stick with nvidia 2000/3000 series gpu’s because they have much faster encoders. Also, nvidia drivers seem a bit more stable with PCVR.

For decent PCVR I recommend a 3070 or better, preferably a 3080 or 3090 (what i use). Avoid the 3090ti for now because there are still comparability issues with HP and oculus headsets.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro w/Air Link, Vive Pro

• If you are using a Quest 2 with Link or Air Link you are best to stick with nvidia 2000/3000 series gpu’s because they have much faster encoders. Also, nvidia drivers seem a bit more stable with PCVR.

For decent PCVR I recommend a 3070 or better, preferably a 3080 or 3090 (what i use). Avoid the 3090ti for now because there are still comparability issues with HP and oculus headsets.

I've placed an order for the MaxFlightStick controls, which will take several weeks to arrive, so I have some time to acquire the rest of the needed components.

Having no hands-on experience with any of the various VR systems, I'm choosing simply based on the recommendations in this thread and other reviews I've been reading. I'm leaning toward the HP Reverb G2, as of this moment.

With regard to choosing the GPU, there are so many it's beginning to make my head spin. After reading about buying used GPU's I learned these were/are being used for mining cryptocurrency! I guess that's common knowledge for those who are into gaming but I had no idea.

I'll read some 3070 reviews and see if I can find something quiet and reliable, without buying more than I need.

• It took nearly two months but the MaxFlightStick R22 setup finally arrived from HKG.

I just ordered the HP Reverb G2, directly from HP's site. It's a little disconcerting to see how poorly this VR system is rated on HP's site (3.4 out of 5 stars / 886 ratings). Given that I have zero prior experience with gaming or VR, I hope this setup will not prove to be problematic.

I also ordered a ASUS TUF Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti OC Edition Graphics Card from Amazon.

Updates to come.

Edited 2 times, last by Mr. Thompson (September 10, 2022 at 5:22 PM).

• Two months is pretty quick for a MaxFlight Stick order...
    The Reverb G2 is a good headset for flightsims and Aerofly will run fine with that 3070Ti, have fun!

Regards,

Peter Splinter

i5-7400@3,4 GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660 Super, Pico 4, Quest 2 , 'Vintage' Pro Flight Trainer, X52 Pro, VKB pedals