Windows Mode

• So I started using windows mode because the stuttering is non-existent. After the user content I installed (scenery), I started experiencing intermittent freezing, stuttering (especially in Switzerland). Windows mode really curbs it. That said, should I have Vsync on or off...? :/

• New
    • Official Post

Are you referring to Aerofly FS 2 or FS 4?

Vsync locks your graphics card output rate to that of the monitor. It saves power, keeps the card cooler and removes screen tearing. Stutters occur when the graphics card need to load textures. If you have a somewhat moderate or weak card check if reducing the quality settings helps to decrease stutters. When your graphics card memory is full all the time then a lot of texture loading happens which causes stutters.

• New
    • Official Post

We do not recommend to change the NVIDIA settings at all, it should all be left to default settings.

There isn't really much we can do regarding the performance once you installed users sceneries. Some of the user sceneries do have huge impact on the performance or increase your loading times. You can try to remove those, that do cause stuttering on your side.

• Which default settings exactly please Jan? This is really not clear. Performance and quality choices remain in the simplest Nvidia Control Panel and Windows display settings.

(I like a tiny trace of image sharpening in the 'Manage 3D settings', only Sharpen 0.02 and ignore film grain 0.01. Will the High Quality Anti-Aliasing selection in the Aerofly FS2 graphics settings Vulkan menu selection prevent softening with this prefered Nvidia/Windows Default setting?).

• I run all my simulations with 'let the 3d application decide' and have excellent performance, image and no problems.

Best regards,

Thomas

i7-6700K @ 4.0 GHz, Geforce GTX 1080, 32MB RAM, 500 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, 1TB HD, 32" Monitor 4K, Oculus Rift

• Do you guys mean running Aerofly in a window instead of fullscreen or 'windows game mode' which prioritizes CPU etc. for gameplay?

Regards,

Peter Splinter

i5-7400@3,4 GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660 Super, Quest 2 with Pro Headmount, 'Vintage' Pro Flight Trainer, X52 Pro, VKB pedals

Edited 3 times, last by PjotR22 ().

• I am talking about running in windows mode instead of full screen. I cant tell you "why" but it runs without stutter or freezes on my IMAC Retina 5k 27inch.

Display

• Retina 5K display
    • 27-inch (diagonal) Retina 5K display
    • 5120‑by‑2880 resolution with support for one billion colors
    • 500 nits brightness
    • Wide color (P3)

Processor

• 3.4GHz
      3.4GHz quad‑core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz)
    • 3.5GHz
      3.5GHz quad‑core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz)
      Configurable to 4.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz)
    • 3.8GHz
      3.8GHz quad‑core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz)
      Configurable to 4.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz)

Memory

• 3.4GHz
      8GB (two 4GB) of 2400MHz DDR4 memory; four SO-DIMM slots, user accessible
      Configurable to 16GB or 32GB
    • 3.5GHz
      Configurable to 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB
    • 3.8GHz
      Configurable to 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB
  • Ok so I did a complete fresh install today and started from scratch to bring Aero Fly FS2 back to its stock form and installed the DLC's I bought from the STEAM website for FS2. I set my Nvidia to default settings, set resolution to 3840 X 2160 @ 60hz (in 4k now), everything set to Ultra except the shadow setting (low), clouds all (low), in the task manager set the SIM to (high) priority and I'm getting a slight hiccup like previously mentioned in another post of mine. What is wrong with this thing...? It used to run smooth as butter when I first bought it and ran it. What's changed...? Even in windows mode now I get hiccups. X(

Should I set it to 1440 @60hz....and everything set to (high) instead of (ultra)...?

• I know Jan is not in favour of this but I got a major image quality improvement from entering the 3D image settings menu list using advice from YouTube videos. I had it balanced for the OpenGL appropriate options but perhaps there are better choices for Vulkan graphics? The basic settings left me disappointed, the sim did not look as smooth and as sharp.

I think I’ll be experimenting with new hardware before long so things might change.

I’d asked for the exact simple setting preferred choice, it would help if a small amount of guidance could be offered such as whether or not Aerofly internally applies all the desired choices and whether or not us users muck things up by destructively interfering with what Aerofly would like to do.

• Thanks Douglas'

I'll give that a go and see how I get on.

later (DID YOU MEAN 'LET THE 3D APPLICATION DECIDE?' The two screen shots are different).

I'm running an old overclocked 950 on 1080p and an upgrade is well due. FS2 is at fault because it runs so well on a potato PC. I have an 8 core CPU that I haven't even fitted because I didn't need to! I'm just debating which GPU family to pick. ........I'm thinking VR. a big jump.

These are the setting I was using, I just got advice from YouTube videos and have no idea if they are good or not. I had previously tried adaptive v sync. Vulkan might need a very different setup, don't know!

I didn't see any real difference using FS2 but the 3D settings choice seemed to balance the 100% CPU and the GPU usage more evenly. 'App decides' allocates more shared GPU memory.

The image shadows seemed a trace deeper with 'let the app decide'. For some reason image brightness shifts sometimes. I suppose I'll follow Jan's advice and let the app decide for a bit.

These were identical flights out of and back into Teterboro airport. This difference was seen consistently.

• I'd use 2K instead of 4K for now

2k, you mean 1440p...? Sad to say but when it comes to computers (fixing, installing, setting up operating systems, formatting, etc.) I'm totally savvy but as far as graphics is concerned I'm out in left field. Having SIM's is the first time ever I have to be concerned with these kinds of graphic settings. So its my current handicap. lol.