Starting AFFS4 with native VR to HP Reverb G2

• Moin,

I have the following Problem:

AFFS2 DVD Version is installed and have two Icons to start it with and without VR. VR uses Steam VR as an interface, This works fine,

Then I installed AFFS4 Steam version. This one installed only one desktop icon, starting the none-VR mode.

In Steam I can choose if I want to start the none-VR mode or the SteamVR mode - both working.

Nevertheless I got one time a message, I can use native VR mode if I start it from the desktop.

What are the parameters I need to add, to start native VR with Aerofly FS 4 and Reverb G2?

I can do it with: "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Aerofly FS 4 Flight Simulator\bin64_windows\aerofly_fs_4.exe" -steamvr -lang=de

but this will only start steam vr.

Any help? Or is there no native VR integration with Windows Mixed Reality?

Wish for Aerofly FS 2/4:

- Flightpath recording on hard drive and replay in sim from different view points

- Smoke for aerobatic planes

- Multiplayer or at least watching other people flying sitting on ground or inside tower

• Go to Best Answer
  • Well, no difference, it also starts SteamVR.

No problem in there, It is just a layer that is not needed if there would be a native WMR integration.

Wish for Aerofly FS 2/4:

- Flightpath recording on hard drive and replay in sim from different view points

- Multiplayer or at least watching other people flying sitting on ground or inside tower

• Best Answer
    • Official Post

Aerofly FS currently has no native Windows Mixed Reality ( WMR ) implementation.

Why? The Microsoft WMR implementation currently does not support OpenGL or Vulkan, only Direct3D, so we cannot directly use it with the VR images we produce. So we rely on SteamVR to do the proper conversion from our 3D API ( OpenGL or Vulkan ) to Direct3D.

• Aerofly FS currently has no native Windows Mixed Reality ( WMR ) implementation.

Why? The Microsoft WMR implementation currently does not support OpenGL or Vulkan, only Direct3D, so we cannot directly use it with the VR images we produce. So we rely on SteamVR to do the proper conversion from our 3D API ( OpenGL or Vulkan ) to Direct3D.

Thank you for clarification. I was only wondering because of the strange message about native Support if starting from desktop . I got this message only one time, so I was just wondering if something changed.

I have a question regarding entry in Steam launch options;

Do I still need to make the "-openvr" boot entry for my HP Reverb G2 or not?

thank you

If I start Aerofly FS4 through the Steam App I get asked if I want to start in VR Mode or just Desktop. No need for an extra parameter für my G2. I just created an additional shortcut on my Desktop including the parameters first mentioned. This will also launch everything in one go. (Steam App, Steam vr, WMR and Aerofly FS4 in VR Mode.

Wish for Aerofly FS 2/4:

• I am not sure exactly what you are asking but you can use the WMR version of your headset. Just go to the Cliffhouse and start SteamVR then FS4. It seems to work well with my WMR Headset.

When I start from the desktop, it just runs on the monitor. There have been some Windows improvements in VR and WMR operations over the last year.

HTC Vive Cosmos Elite

Win 11

• I am not sure exactly what you are asking but you can use the WMR version of your headset. Just go to the Cliffhouse and start SteamVR then FS4. It seems to work well with my WMR Headset.

When I start from the desktop, it just runs on the monitor. There have been some Windows improvements in VR and WMR operations over the last year.

No need to know since you have possibly not seen the message I had once. My question was about using WMR directly without Steam VR. This is currently not possible.

Wish for Aerofly FS 2/4: