Long haul flights question.

• Dear everyone,

I have a question. If I do long haul flights or just longer flights than 2 hours I don’t see the route displayed in the NAV display. So the plane just doesn’t want to follow the green line anymore. I think it’s because the world is round but the display can’t handle it or so. But does this also happen in reallife? (It only happens if the next waypoint is far away).

Regards,

Fab

• Dear everyone,

I have a question. If I do long haul flights or just longer flights than 2 hours I don’t see the route displayed in the NAV display. So the plane just doesn’t want to follow the green line anymore. I think it’s because the world is round but the display can’t handle it or so. But does this also happen in reallife? (It only happens if the next waypoint is far away).

Regards,

Fab

The plane doesn't follow the line precisely it is always a bit to the left or to the right of the path and if you have your nm set to low you can't see the line making it look like the plane is not following the path but it is following it

• The plane doesn't follow the line precisely it is always a bit to the left or to the right of the path and if you have your nm set to low you can't see the line making it look like the plane is not following the path but it is following it

Did you ever fly from Frankfurt to Los Angeles for example? You won’t even be able to see the line if your nm settings are on the highest possible. It’s because of the circular world as Jan (Jetpacks) already said

• If you are on a great circle the path plotted ahead and behind should be a straight line! A perfect Lamberts-like cylindrical projection paper chart created for the TRACK would show the meridians and parallels bending (as appropriate, allowing for 360/180 true tracking and tracking along the equator).

Perhaps what was meant was the nav display showed a simple mercator like projection meaning that a ‘straight course’ gave a rhumb line on the earth, allowing for 360/180/equator.

It is a rhumb line, it curves away from a great circle towards the equator. It bends in the direction of the equator at the departure end but only goes so far and continues to curve up to re-join the great circle at the destination end. The nav display line reappears in Aerofly FS2022 towards the later part of the flight.

Edited 2 times, last by Overloaded (August 20, 2022 at 8:01 PM).

• If you are on a great circle the path plotted ahead and behind should be a straight line! A perfect Lamberts-like cylindrical projection paper chart created for the TRACK would show the meridians and parallels bending (as appropriate, allowing for 360/180 true tracking and tracking along the equator).

Perhaps what was meant was the nav display showed a simple mercator like projection meaning that a ‘straight course’ gave a rhumb line on the earth, allowing for 360/180/equator.

It is a rhumb line, it curves away from a great circle towards the equator. It bends in the direction of the equator at the departure end but only goes so far and continues to curve up to re-join the great circle at the destination end. The nav display line reappears in Aerofly FS2022 towards the later part of the flight.

Exactly.

• It is the convergence angle, greater nearer the poles, on easterly or westerly tracks and over greater distances.

Imagine travelling from 0 W/E 89 N to 180 W/E 89 N. You could go north over the pole on the great circle covering 60 minutes and 60 minutes or 120 nautical miles or you could travel east or west for 60 nautical miles times Pi or 188.5 nautical miles on the rhumb line as it would appear on a Mercator's chart. The convergence angle here is a full ninety degrees. The ‘track’ on the 2022 nav display would go exactly left or right. The bend of the rhumb line on the globe in that case is a full semi-circle.

Here is a route over the pole as far north as can be plotted in FS2022. The waypoints are 180 degrees apart across the Artic Ocean. The magnetic track of 313 degrees at that point is because of the nearness of the magnetic north pole. The direct route is straight ahead and the nav display course is about 90 degrees off.

(You cannot get a Mercator's chart covering the north or south pole, it would be infinitely tall.)