Thrustmaster T.A320 Pilot rotates to looking at the roof after first start

• Version: Steam Aerofly FS 4 Version 4.0.1.15 ... I assume

OS: macOS 13.0 22A5321d arm64, yes its the beta but I suspect that's not the cause

When I Start a flight on most occasions after the fist successful Start that the view rotates up and I am looking at the roof of the plane. I found after the trial and error steps of uninstalling, trashing the main config file, and calibrating that the simple work around is to use the hat switch to fix the view. It seems there is something odd about the hat switch for my Joystick. No other apps that use the joystick have the same issue.

• That's right. Same here.

Before all, after Aerofly FS 4 is started, I use/move all buttons/sliders.

It also concerns the quadrant where once one of the throttles was inactive until I use reverse.

I'm not running a macOS BETA, but it is up to date, same for Thrusmaster devices.

MacBook Pro | M1 Pro | Thrustmaster Captain Airbus Edition | DualSense (for travel)
    X-Plane 12 | ToLiSS A320neo | BetterPushback
    iPad | Navigraph | WebFMC

• After starting Aerofly, you don't touch your Thrustmaster devices. If you go to the Input Controller Section, you'll see some sliders at some positions they should not be, buttons pressed, etc. Using all these commands restores a normal situation.

MacBook Pro | M1 Pro | Thrustmaster Captain Airbus Edition | DualSense (for travel)

• Can you please check something for us? If you started Aerofly FS and see the main menu, move all of your devices a bit so they get recognized. Then start the flight, is your view still tilted to the roof? And when you don't move the controls and don't touch them at all until you are flying, is the view messed up as well or is it normal?

Can you also check if the issue goes away if you go to the control settings, view category and remove all assigned controller inputs there?

• I'm in the process of putting together my findings with the Thrustmaster controllers on the Mac. Essentially, it's about the thrust levers -- nothing bad.

Basically, to start the game, I operate all (!) functions of all controllers under "Controls / Input devices" to make sure everything is working properly so far. I always get these startup errors:

(1) T.A320 Pilot:

-- "Pov 0 Up" (Button) is activated (therefore the look up is running for me) -> press deactivated

-- "Solider 0" is set to 40 % -> move set it to 0 %

(2) TCA Q-Eng 1&2 (incl. airbrake, gear and auto brake):

-- "Z" without function

-- "Rz" shows no bar -> move brings bar to the left

-- "Ry" without function

-- "Rx" without function

-- "Slider 0" without function

I miss the buttons for the auto bra-positions

-- HI

(3) TCA Q-Eng 3&4 (incl. flaps, trim and parkbrk):

-- "Z" shows no bar -> move brings bar to the left

-- "Rz" without function

-- "Ry" without function

-- "Rz" without function

-- "Slider 0" without function

(4) T-Pendular Rudder:

-- "X" shows no bar -> move brings bar to the left

-- "Y" shows no bar -> move brings bar to the left

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

- MacBook Pro (16", 2021); Chip: Apple M1 Max; actual macOS || Thrustmaster TCA AIRBUS EDITION: 1x Sidestick, 2x Quadrant, 2x Quadrant Add-On || Pro-Flight-Trainer PUMA X

- iPad (12,9", 4th Generation, RAM: 6 GB); actual iOS || nimbus steelseries

• 2 screenshots:

"At start up" was taken after having plugged the device and launched Aerofly.

The slider 0 is mid position instead to be max in reality.

"After moving slider 0" that retrieves its real position but Pov0 Up becomes ON! Using Pov0 buttons clears the problem.

• Can you please check something for us? If you started Aerofly FS and see the main menu, move all of your devices a bit so they get recognized. Then start the flight, is your view still tilted to the roof? And when you don't move the controls and don't touch them at all until you are flying, is the view messed up as well or is it normal?

Can you also check if the issue goes away if you go to the control settings, view category and remove all assigned controller inputs there?

You've got it. If I don't touch my stick and start the flight it does not go to the roof, if I wiggle my stick before start then it does go to the roof. :)

• Dear Jet-Pack (IPACS)

Now, let's talk about the Thrustmaster Quadrant. There are similar things happening (at start up without touching anything):

• Park brake is like "undefined", you have to move it off then on to restore,
    • Throttles could be mid position in the "inner" of Aerofly, not shown on cockpit, you have to move them to restore, sometimes you have to set reverses to restore,
    • Rudder trim could sometimes be shown activated in cockpit, you have to move it to restore, and reset it to avoid a terrible surprise,
    • Flaps or speed brake levers could be in mid position in the "inner" of aerofly but shown to zero in the cockpit, you have to move them to restore.

And about Sidestick:

• The slider meant for throttle/reverse (but assigned to brakes in my case) is in mid position in the "inner" of Aerofly, you have to move it to restore.

Until it is patched, tTo avoid problems before starting a flight, you have to move all buttons, levers, sidestick, etc.

• I only see an issue with trim here and the POV hat switch.

Flaps, speedbrakes, parking brake and throttle should stay at the correct setting regardless of you physical hardware positions at the beginning of the flight e.g. if you select ready for takeoff or approach or cold and dark. They also need to be ignored when the user uses the mouse or VR hand controls.

Otherwise flaps immediately retract when you select the approach and you fall from the sky or you get a takeoff warning or the airplane starts moving uncommanded. Or auto thrust would immediately turn off and speed decreases to stall speed. Or VR and hand controls no longer work. It's intentional that the device axes don't do anything until you move them. Double assignments would also break if the value from the device is immediately set as the axis value in the sim.

• Here is a "before/after" screenshot.

Before is a screenshot after launching Aerofly FS 4.

After is a screenshot after having moved/pressed every levers/buttons to their original positions.

Without touching anything, I even found cases where one of the throttle was reversed in the cockpit.

Hope it helps.

Best regards.

Images

Edited once, last by FrankLFRS: Sorry, I wrote laugh instead of launch (it was not a bad joke) (August 29, 2022 at 10:46 AM).

• Hi everybody. I also have an issue with the Thrustmaster quadrant. When I pull back the throttle after TOGA to climb thrust, Aerofly says my thrust levers are not in the same position. But they are. I also tried to calibrate the quadrant but it didn't work. There are tow screen shots. below.

• fablue

I did THE sacrifice, one lever to control both:

• I performed the quadrant calibration from the Thrustmaster documentation,
    • I reseted the quadrant from Aerofly,
    • I joined the 2 throttles with the axe,
    • I determined one of the best levers,
    • I unset the twin jet throttle 1&2,
    • I set the best lever to the basic throttle command.

With this way, it’s barely ok. But it’s ok. I mean, I have 77% for FLEX which is so perfect, but 52/53% for FLEX which is the absolute last limit.

I hope there’s one day an IDLE CLIMB FLEX TOGA calibration per throttle implanted in Aerofly…

• We already have an idle, clb, flx, toga calibration of sorts and it works out of the box for most of the Thrustmaster devices we have tested (more than 5 individual hardware devices).

During the joystick calibration, when asked to move all axes to the center, move your levers to 50% and not into the clb detent. Then test if that works. To correct the climb position you can also test calibrating the neutral position with 45% or 55%-ish axis position in the calibration dialog. That should move the center and thus move the 58% climb position and better match the detent.

Unfortunately Thrustmaster decided to put the detents at weird locations that do not correspond to the real world thrust lever angles. That's why there already is a mapping in Aerofly FS 4 that ensures that the detents in the device match with the virtual detents in the cockpit. And that mapping is not only there for the A320 climb detent, we also use CLB for flight idle detent in turboprops, and FLX detent for max mil thrust on afterburning engines, etc.. But that only works as long as the device is somewhat close to the factory calibration, some devices may vary and temperatures and what not may also play a role here. With the trick described above you can also make your device calibrated for the climb position.

• Dear Jet-Pack (IPACS)

I did the calibration: the detent range is 50% to 53%. I tried to shift center higher or lower than CL detent, even physically measured the real center position. It's usable by taking care of the lever position. The best range should be 52% to 56%.

The 2 throttles look now aligned, but I did not really check, because I kept the axe that joins the throttles. And if the results are 50/53% for the both throttles, knowing it is borderline, I suppose that Aerofly might consider them not symmetric.

See the attachment...