Image quality comparison of Switzerland

• I really appreciate the improvements that have been made in Aerofly FS4, especially regarding the cultivation, the coverage and the added aircraft. However there is one point I am very disappointed: Switzerland. I expect that a newer version of a flight sim, especially when passing a version number, has at least the same quality level but rather better. This is by far not the case regarding Switzerland. Switzerland was a DLC in Aerofly FS2, hence I have paid for it. Now it is included in Europe and free of charge. OK, why not simply move the better swiss images from Aerofly FS2 to Aerofly FS4? I have of course done this, however that does not work as expected because the images from Aerofly FS2 near the border are edited and only sharp on the swiss side of the border. Therefore there are smaler and larger blurred parts near the border.

The following is a comparison of image levels of Switzerland in Aerofly FS2 and Aerofly FS4. As you can see not even L11 does fully cover Switzerland. L12 shows large holes and L13 covers very little where in Aerofly FS2 whole Switzerland is covered by L13. This is very visible when flying over the Alps. Also the L14 coverage is larger in Aerofly FS2.

I would love to have a solution for this. The easiest way would be an unedited collection of the Aerofly FS2 border images. The customers who own the Swiss DLC can then replace the swiss images in Aerofly FS4 with the Aerofly FS2 images and that collection. Or maybe just offer the better swiss quality images from Switzerland DLC of Aerofly FS2 and the edited border images to all.

Aerofly FS2 level 11

Aerofly FS4 level 11

Aerofly FS2 level 12

Aerofly FS4 level 12

Aerofly FS2 level 13

Aerofly FS4 level 13

Aerofly FS2 level 14

Aerofly FS4 level 14

Regards,

Thomas

i7-14700KF @ 5.6 GHz, Geforce RTX 4090, 32MB RAM, 1TB SSD M.2, 1TB SSD M.2, 2TB SSD M.2, 32" Monitor 4K, Pimax Crystal

• Excellent TomB! You have very well defined the problem with the delimitation of different levels which are absolutely irregular.

Hopefully IPACS admin will better understand the problem and who can fix it.

I even think without being too greedy and for the area of this small country, that a general L14 and L15 around the mountains, and strategic points, airports, be appreciable for all also taking into account this evolution of FS4 and for its new and beautiful cultivation. :)

Best wishes 😉

Pascal

AFS2 / FS4 / MSFS / - Intel(R) Core i7 -12800HX 4.80 GHz - DDR5 4800MHz 32 Go - NVIDIA GeForce RTX™ 3070 Ti 8 GB GDDR6X - 2x 2 TB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4

Edited 2 times, last by Tomfa (January 15, 2023 at 11:20 PM).

• Les images utilisées dans Aerofly FS 1 et 2 ont été autorisées à cette fin et parce que nous avons maintenant une source d'images qui couvre l'Europe et pas seulement la Suisse, nous n'utilisons plus les anciennes images suisses. Si nous devions proposer à nouveau ces images, elles devraient à nouveau être un DLC payant pour compenser le coût.

I think the paid cost is a good alternative and would remain an option for those who desire it, right?

Best wishes 😉

Pascal

AFS2 / FS4 / MSFS / - Intel(R) Core i7 -12800HX 4.80 GHz - DDR5 4800MHz 32 Go - NVIDIA GeForce RTX™ 3070 Ti 8 GB GDDR6X - 2x 2 TB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4

• The images used in Aerofly FS 1 and 2 were licensed for that purpose and because we now have an image source that covers Europe and not just Switzerland we no longer use the old Swiss images. If we were to offer these images again they again would have to be a paid DLC to offset the cost.

This reply does not make sense to me. The swiss images are the same old images as in Aerofly FS2 (and I guess Aerofly FS1 too). They are from 2003 what is already an imposition, especially for VFR flights. They are by far not actual. I am sure IPACS can offer us the same levels as in Aerofly FS2. The images are from Mappuls AG in Lucerne as one can read in the about. I can imagine that actual high resolution images are expensive, however IPACS already bought the images for Aerofly FS2. If you need to charge again, ok. But I wish the better resolution back with the nice cultivation of Aerofly FS4.

Regards,

Thomas

i7-14700KF @ 5.6 GHz, Geforce RTX 4090, 32MB RAM, 1TB SSD M.2, 1TB SSD M.2, 2TB SSD M.2, 32" Monitor 4K, Pimax Crystal

• That must be why the Lugano area in mobile is so unpolished? I had tried it on a long cross country and then decided to get the Italian scenery as I thought it must have been the 2023 Europe default but unfortunately it actually was already the paid for Italian scenery (you lose track with 3 formats). And we will get the privilege to pay for it all over again in just another ten months 🙂.

• I have to come back to that issue because I think it is not taken seriously by IPACS.

Here is a screenshot from the area of Trasadingen TRA, an important VOR for the north approach into LSZH (Zurich). The resolution of the Aerofly FS4 images are not suffucient in this region. However if I add the swiss images from Aerofly FS2 into the eu folder from Aerofly FS4 I get in the border regions these blurring areas. This is because the border images (all levels) have blurred parts. The reason is that it was just Switzerland and only very low world resolution around Switzerland. Maybe legal reasons, license reasons, I don't know. Fact is that the same (old) images are now part of the eu folder in Aerofly FS4 but without any blurred parts. However these images are not available everywhere in sufficient resolution. This is regarding Switzerland a big step back.

Regards,

Thomas

• I have to come back to that issue because I think it is not taken seriously by IPACS.

Only the suspense remains. :sleeping: and hope makes us live :)

Best wishes 😉

Pascal

Edited once, last by Tomfa (January 18, 2023 at 9:46 PM).

• Es ist das letzte Mal, dass ich mich hier melde. Ich gebe die Hoffnung auf, dass sich hier eine konstruktive Diskussion mit IPACS ergibt.

Ihr überspringt gleich eine Versionsnummer und speist die Kunden mit den gleich alten Luftaufnahmen der Schweiz ab, wie in den Vorgängerversionen und das notabene noch in schlechterer Auflösung.

Und schaut euch mal den Bodensee an oder den Genfersee. Lieblos die alten Bilder übernommen und nicht einmal die Mühe gemacht, die Seen gleichmässig einzufärben. Das betrifft aber nicht nur die Randseen der Schweiz, auch Küsten, wie zB. die Südküste Englands. Das sieht grauenhaft aus, wenn man dort drüberfliegt. Da rächt sich halt das fehlende Wasser!

Regards,

Thomas

• @TomB: We have read your posting. For FS 4 we had to do some compromises regarding the amount of data we deliver otherwise the total amount would have exploded. So we deliberatly removed some previously included high resolution material to account for the many mew airports in Europe. The other way would have ment 'streaming' which is something we didn't want to do for FS 4.

We do have new versions of aerial images for Switzerland but processing them and adjusting the coloring is a tremendous amount of work which we hadn't had a chance yet to work on.

That all being said, it doesn't mean we won't change this in one of the next updates.

We hope this clarifies the matter a little bit.

• Hi,

@ admin: as previously said by others as well - if you provide additional high quality content, that one does not need to come for free. It should be clear to everyone in the community that you do not have the same deep pockets that Micro**** has.

Regards, Ludger