Aerofly FS airport creation tool ( early alpha version, work in progress )

• ApfelFlieger : I got the converter perfectly running using parallel Windows 10 virtualisation. Unfortunately it converts to FS 4 (FS2 is the only version that runs on my iMac late 2013 ... I tried :( )

Update: I now succeeded in getting FS 4 perfectly running on my old mac using native Windows 10 on an external fast SSD. (Bootcamp could work as well)

I am surprised to see how good it runs on a rather 'old' iMac ! No I can continue with airport creations and check them.

Edited once, last by svdm (March 22, 2023 at 2:29 PM).

• ApfelFlieger : I got the converter perfectly running using parallel Windows 10 virtualisation. Unfortunately it converts to FS 4 (FS2 is the only version that runs on my iMac late 2013 ... I tried :( )

I have researched again on the internet:🤓

According to everything I find, there is no way to run a Windows x64 emulation on a MacBook Pro with Apple M1 Max chip and ARM via Parallels☹️. Unfortunately, this only works with the Intel chips on my 2012 and 2018 MacBooks😊, but they are both with my grandsons.

Fortunately, my 15 year old grandson had some time last night to do some conversions for his grandpa😄. Unfortunately, this is nothing for a trial and error with quick changes of values.🧐

I have some Windows applications that run without problems with Windows11 via Parallels on my Mac. So far, only the applications from Aerofly fail because of the x64 problem -- unfortunately. :(

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

- MacBook Pro (16", 2021); Chip: Apple M1 Max; actual macOS || Thrustmaster TCA AIRBUS EDITION: 1x Sidestick, 2x Quadrant, 2x Quadrant Add-On || Pro-Flight-Trainer PUMA X

- iPad (12,9", 4th Generation, RAM: 6 GB); actual iOS || nimbus steelseries

• admin :

I have a general question about elevation, which I will show with the example of FR0046 Brest Amiraute Heliport (I have attached the data as a zip file):

• - 0 m -- automatically written to the tap file
    • - 6 m -- FS4 at "Choose your starting location"
    • - 2.12 m -- FS4 via CMD+F1

• - 1 m -- Google Earth
    • - 2 m -- App Pocket Earth
    • - 2 m -- App Maps 3D

Now my questions:

• What are the correct values for FS4?
    • And which values should be entered for elevation ("<[float64][elevation][?]>")?

Files

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

- MacBook Pro (16", 2021); Chip: Apple M1 Max; actual macOS || Thrustmaster TCA AIRBUS EDITION: 1x Sidestick, 2x Quadrant, 2x Quadrant Add-On || Pro-Flight-Trainer PUMA X

• Using FR0046 as an example, I have asked two basic questions about elevation.

Using LF2922 (Base ULM de Poullaouen le Stancou) as an example (zip file attached) I show a problem with elevation conversion (tested with C172 and UH-60):

• Case 1 -- LF2922 is not activated:
      => take-off-positions 15/33: aircraft hovers slightly above the ground; no problems taxiing

• Case 2 -- LF2922 is activated:
      => take-off-positions 15/33: Aircraft sink; problems with taxiing

Also, the runway is only partially visible. I tried different altitude settings for both the airfield and the runways, but it always remained the same. Even when I set everything to 150 m, there was no change for me.

Files

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

• @ZoSoChile: It's not yet possible, but we will consider it for a future version.

ApfelFlieger: All airports using the TAP file are so called 'auto height' airports and adjust the ground according to the reference height in the TAP file. However for the auto height feature to work properly, you need to add a runway and add tarmac areas as well, only these areas will properly trigger the auto height algorithm. The elevation parameter in the TAP file should reference the average runway height.

A runway only airport might cause issues, however we will look into it next week.

• Thanks for the info, some notes on this:

- The tool always automatically sets "0" for the elevation. :/

- At the moment I can only enter the height manually with a text editor in the exported tap file and then import it again. 8)

- For small UL sites and heliports only it would make sense if the altitude worked there too. Currently, in these cases (e.g. FR0052, FR0053, FR0054, FR0461, FR0462, FR0463) no areas are shown - thanks to the good images from flightxtreme , however, this does not bother me personally at all in these places :) .

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

• @ all:

For the parking position, the sizing works so well that if you select an aircraft that is too large, that position cannot be selected.

=> In general I find this very good. :thumbup:

=> However, it is now a matter of adjusting that one does not accidentally select the size too small. :)

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

• I guess for runways the checkbox for skidmarks doesn't work because I can't see that there is a difference if they are on or off.

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

• The elevation is BEST taken from official sources.

Here is a screenshot of the airport-diagram of KSNS available at the FAA website.

On the runway_threshold you can see the elevation in feet.

If you can not get any official information you should use any other source.

The elevation is not just used for the creation of the airport model.

For example the co-pilot uses the runway´s elevation data to plan his decent_profile.

good Sources for:

Airports in the USA

AirNav

Airports General

OurAirports

skidmarks checkbox has no influence right now, this is correct.

Regards

Wuensch

• Already with my airfields in FS2 I liked to take both the coordinates and the altitude of the airfield from the official charts.

=> Therefore, I would find it good if this data could be entered directly in the tool under Airport Data.

Overall, the tool is getting better and more useful for me. :) 8)

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

• admin :

What is the new structure of the elements for objects?

Code
            <[list_tm_airport_pd_custom_model][custom_models][]
            >

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

• Similar to the FS2 TSC file, is there a way to make an airport mesh flat within TAP file before conversion?

In TSC, you could enter 'false' within autoheight to create flat surface.

Once the TAP file is converted, it's encrypted and unable to be edited.

Would be nice to have an unencrypted TSC and WAD file.

FS2 TSC example:

• I also find it best if as many files as possible are plain text files.

In the meantime, I do it this way:

- I use the new tool as a pure tool for the creation of the tap-file.

- Afterwards, I optimise the respective tap-file by hand; the new tool cannot do some things, at least not at the moment.

- When I have finished, I convert the tap-file to the tmb-/toc-/tsc- and wad-files.

- And finally I save the tap-file as an original file at the airfields as well, so that I can make changes at any time.

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

• Official Post

@ApfelFlieger: As for the custom fields, please look at the sample EDWN.

ZoSoChile: The autoheight field should stay at true all the time for web based created airports. An autoheight false airport requires that you model all runway meshes yourself, e.g. the old Aerofly FS 2 way. We strongly discourage it. If the elevation data is good enough at the airport, the autoheight method is the correct way. If you add your own ground mesh and want to use autoheight=true, ensure all vertices are a z=0 otherwise the offset is added to the final mesh.

• @ApfelFlieger: As for the custom fields, please look at the sample EDWN.

Thank you, I was looking for this example.

I have now added this call to the kaiser_oiler.tmb-file from an FS2.tsc ...

Code
            <[list_tmsimulator_scenery_object][objects][]
                <[tmsimulator_scenery_object][element][0]
                    <[string8][type][object]>
                    <[string8][geometry][kaiser_oiler]>
                    <[vector3_float64][position][8.181560 53.530120]>
                >
            >

... in an FS4.tap ...

Code
            <[list_tm_airport_pd_custom_model][custom_models][]
                <[tm_airport_pd_custom_model][element][0]
                    <[vector2_float64][position][8.181560 53.530120]>
                    <[string8][coordinate_system][lonlat]>
                    <[string8][name][kaiser_oiler]>
                    <[string8][type][object]>
                >
            >

Unfortunately, it does not work this way for tmb-files. :/

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations: