Krzysztof Kaniewski's Piper PA-11 Cub Special for Aerofly FS 4

• As far as I can tell, Krzysztof Kaniewski's Piper PA-11 Cub Special is currently the only high wing bush (sorta) plane available for Aerofly FS 4. It is definitely a low and slow aircraft suitable for sightseeing. Note that the airspeed indicator is for MPH and not knots. It is fairly complete although it does not seem to have a functional fuel mixture control but since the FS 4 simulation engine does not use this in calculating engine power output, it's not important. The radio does not work, but that is not required for Aerofly FS 4. You can manually start the engine by using the mouse right button to spin the propeller or you can to assign a shortcut key for "Engine start", requires magnetos on and fuel on, there is no master or battery switch. The "Cold and Dark" and "Right Before Engine Start" tmd presets do not work in that the engine will be running regardless. It is sorta a bush plane but does not have flaps so short field operations may not work out. It does have large tires although not tundra tires. Also, since it only has a 65 hp engine it will have a very slow climb rate at high altitudes (like at Grand Canyon National Park Airport)

You can download it from Krzyszstof Kaniewski's Github repository by clicking on the green "Code" button and select "Download Zip". Once you have extracted the inner pipercub-master folder and put it in your aircraft folder make sure to rename it to just pipercub.

GitHub - krzysk1/pipercub: Piper PA-11 Cub Special for Aerofly FS4
    Piper PA-11 Cub Special for Aerofly FS4. Contribute to krzysk1/pipercub development by creating an account on GitHub.
    github.com

Here are some screenshots in Aerofly FS 4 taken at and around KGCN (Grand Canyon National Park Airport)

Edited 2 times, last by jayeye2011 (February 21, 2023 at 4:33 PM).

• There's also the PA-18, but who hasn't converted it for FS4 yet, and I don't know if it's on his list.

The PA-18 which was developed from the Piper PA-11, released in 1949 and traces the same lineage as the J-3.

Best wishes 😉

Pascal

AFS2 / FS4 / MSFS / - Intel(R) Core i7 -12800HX 4.80 GHz - DDR5 4800MHz 32 Go - NVIDIA GeForce RTX™ 3070 Ti 8 GB GDDR6X - 2x 2 TB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4

• Oh, do you want more umph for high elevation airports? Swap out the Continental A65-8 with a rebuilt Continental C90-8F that was last used in a 1950 PA-18 Super Cub. 90Hp vs old 65 hp. It does weigh 183 lbs vs 173 lbs for A65-8 but let's ignore that since it's only an extra 4.53kg (or just assume the pilot went on a diet and lost that weight).

To do this, edit the pipercub.tmd file engine2 section to this:

<[engine2][Engine][]

<[string8][InputThrottle] [ThrottleLever.Output]>

<[string8][InputMixture] [ActualMixture.Output]>

<[string8][InputLeftMagneto] [LeftMagneto.Output]>

<[string8][InputRightMagneto][RightMagneto.Output]>

<[string8][RotationSpeed] [DriveShaft.RotationSpeed]>

<[string8][AddTorque] [DriveShaft.AddTorque]>

<[string8][AddInertia] [DriveShaft.AddInertia]>

<[string8][InputAngle] [PropellerJoint.Output]>

<[float64][InputTemperature] [EngineHousing.Output]>

<[float64][AddHeat] [EngineHousing.AddHeat]>

<[float64][RotationInertia][0.7]>

<[float64][ThrottleIdle][0.175]>

<[float64][Friction][180.0]>

// <[float64][RatedRotationSpeed][240.85]> // continental A65-8

// <[float64][RatedPower][48470.0]>

// <[float64][Displacement][0.0028]>

<[float64][RatedRotationSpeed][260.00]>// Continental C90-8F, 90 hp, 201 cu. in., Max takeoff RPM 2625, Max continuous RPM 2475

<[float64][RatedPower][67113.0]>

<[float64][Displacement][0.00329]>

>

• If you want to cold and dark or before engine start you can download the corrected pipercub_cold.tmd and pipercub_start.tmd presets files and copy them into the pipercub folder you downloaded from the github repo.

here is the link where you can get the zip file with the corrections

The cold and dark and before engine start presets not correct · Issue #13 · krzysk1/pipercub
    The pipercub_start.tmd and pipercub_cold.tmd preset files are not correct in that the engine is always running when selecting these two starting conditions.
    github.com
  • Ask Krzysztof if he can possibly create an additional key for opening and closing the doors, with the (G) key on the keyboard. He must certainly be able to modify this individually, since this G= (Gear) key is not used for some of these models.

As an example the Tomahawk PA-38, but without the closing being done by the acceleration key.

Best wishes 😉

Pascal

AFS2 / FS4 / MSFS / - Intel(R) Core i7 -12800HX 4.80 GHz - DDR5 4800MHz 32 Go - NVIDIA GeForce RTX™ 3070 Ti 8 GB GDDR6X - 2x 2 TB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4

• I would leave the "G" key exclusively for GEAR and not use it for other functions.

Couldn't you use "D" for DOORS?

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

- MacBook Pro (16", 2021); Chip: Apple M1 Max; actual macOS || Thrustmaster TCA AIRBUS EDITION: 1x Sidestick, 2x Quadrant, 2x Quadrant Add-On || Pro-Flight-Trainer PUMA X

- iPad (12,9", 4th Generation, RAM: 6 GB); actual iOS || nimbus steelseries

• We come back to the same discussion as with the UH-60 :)

I do not understand why not to use the (G) being that this one is only intended for the retraction of the wheels?

Which is not the case with these two models.

Well, as long as you get a key, the D or another, would also do the trick. ;)

Best wishes 😉

Pascal

• Ask Krzysztof if he can possibly create an additional key for opening and closing the doors, with the (G) key on the keyboard. He must certainly be able to modify this individually, since this G= (Gear) key is not used for some of these models.

As an example the Tomahawk PA-38, but without the closing being done by the acceleration key.

You will need to contact Kaniewski yourself as I only interface indirectly with him via bug issue submissions on his Github repositories and as you can see from the number of unresolved issues he is not very responsive.

I would leave the "G" key exclusively for GEAR and not use it for other functions.

Couldn't you use "D" for DOORS?

As far as I am aware, the only shortcut key command bindings that can be used are those already coded and availables in the "Controls" setup in the flight simulation.

If someone who knows how to setup control manipulators in Aerofly could edit the controls.tmd and pipercub.tmd to introduce a manipulator logic control for closing the door once it is opened it would be nice of them to do so and submit the corrected fixes to the Github repository. It is beyond my skills to do so myself. Right now, my simple solution would be to simply comment out the existing door controller code in the controls.tmd.

• As far as opening and closing doors go in Aerofly FS 2 or 4, I don't see how it is very much relevant. Unlike in X-Plane, there is no free camera mode that allows you to simulate getting into or out of the aircraft or doing preflight walk-around check in Aerofly FS 2 or 4 so being able to open and close a cockpit door is not very useful.

• To be fair, Kaniewski did respond recently to one of my bug issue reports that he is currently busy in real life and will not be able to do anything until March at the earliest.

Here are the aircraft I have tried using and have submitted issue reports on (which may or may not be valid) in case anyone wants to know what has already been reported:

Issues · krzysk1/wilga
    Wilga 80 for Aerofly FS4. Contribute to krzysk1/wilga development by creating an account on GitHub.
    github.com
    Issues · krzysk1/optica
    Edgley EA-7 Optica for Aerofly FS4. Contribute to krzysk1/optica development by creating an account on GitHub.
    github.com
    Issues · krzysk1/tomahawk
    Piper PA-38 Tomahawk for Aerofly FS4. Contribute to krzysk1/tomahawk development by creating an account on GitHub.
    github.com
    Issues · krzysk1/stearman
    Stearman 75 Kaydet for Aerofly FS4. Contribute to krzysk1/stearman development by creating an account on GitHub.
    github.com
    Issues · krzysk1/pipercub
    Piper PA-11 Cub Special for Aerofly FS4. Contribute to krzysk1/pipercub development by creating an account on GitHub.
    github.com
    Issues · krzysk1/dromader
    PZL M-18 Dromader for Aerofly FS4. Contribute to krzysk1/dromader development by creating an account on GitHub.
    github.com
    Issues · krzysk1/ms893
    Socata Rallye MS.893E for Aerofly FS4. Contribute to krzysk1/ms893 development by creating an account on GitHub.
    github.com
  • We come back to the same discussion as with the UH-60 :)

I do not understand why not to use the (G) being that this one is only intended for the retraction of the wheels?

Which is not the case with these two models.

Well, as long as you get a key, the D or another, would also do the trick. ;)

All aircraft with retractable landing gear use "G" to operate the landing gear. My experience in the field of software is that it always proves to be a hindrance at some point if standard functions are then assigned differently.

If there are one or more buttons for the door(s), there will certainly be a desire to use these buttons on aircraft with retractable landing gear at some point -- and then?

In the long run, it will be a good idea to have different buttons for different functions.

EDIT:

But independently, all button assignments must be done via CONTROLS and must not be "hardwired" into an aircraft.

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

- MacBook Pro (16", 2021); Chip: Apple M1 Max; actual macOS || Thrustmaster TCA AIRBUS EDITION: 1x Sidestick, 2x Quadrant, 2x Quadrant Add-On || Pro-Flight-Trainer PUMA X

• Another annoying unfixed issue with the model is that you can open the door but cannot close it. That was reported back in 2019 for the FS 2 version but was never worked on and unfortunately carried over to the FS 4 version.

As far as opening and closing doors go in Aerofly FS 2 or 4, I don't see how it is very much relevant. Unlike in X-Plane, there is no free camera mode that allows you to simulate getting into or out of the aircraft or doing preflight walk-around check in Aerofly FS 2 or 4 so being able to open and close a cockpit door is not very useful.

You asked about these doors, I answered you, nothing more.

In this case, Send him a PM

Best wishes 😉

Pascal

• All aircraft with retractable landing gear use "G" to operate the landing gear. My experience in the field of software is that it always proves to be a hindrance at some point if standard functions are then assigned differently.

But as these are fixed and have no retractable landing???

I only believed that it could be modified in the tmd or other by giving priority separately without this interfering with other models or even with the sim card.

Best wishes 😉

Pascal

• I like the idea of being able to control doors, flaps, windows, cockpits and other things via buttons. :)

However, in my opinion, the assignment of the buttons must always be done via the settings

- Controls / General / Airplane / ...

This is the only way to make it future-proof. 8)

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations: