Jaggy Coastlines when using User HD Ground textures

• Hi

I wasn't really sure how to title this thread so sorry if it wasn't clear. I'll try to explain what I'm getting at and what I'm asking

One of the most detracting elements for me about AF4 is the horribly finished coastline textures in most of Europe. The fact the land textures are not very high resolution is not too bad on the eye, but if you go anywhere near the coast you get these horrible jagged coastal waters. The British Isles is a beautiful place for example but a lot of the places I like to fly are near the sea (Funny that being an Island and all :) ). So I thought I'd try some of IZ0JUBs UK textures... and they're are absolutely Beautiful. But the Illusion of reality is greatly spoiled by the appearance at quite close distances of the default textures. I've never noticed that in any of IZ0JUBS screen shots and his machine is of a similar spec to mine. I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do as a user to improve the situation? I have an additional folder to house these higher Resolution textures, as discussed in another thread. Thanks for any help you can offer.

KR Matt

As an example... Waterford, Ireland

Zooming in and out of the Location UI

When you take off from Waterford, the coastline is all jaggy, by the time you over the coast it looks good unless you look into the near distance.

• Hi for all of Europe I disable the "eu" folder in images within fs4 and ONLY use my photo scenery and it works great.

Just add 2 underscores in front of the folder name like this __eu

The correct path: SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Aerofly FS 4 Flight Simulator/scenery/images/__eu

Best wishes, Michael :)

Edited 2 times, last by IZ0JUB (April 19, 2023 at 2:20 PM).

• Another way of improving the impression is to use mesh files that better represent the differences in altitude along the coast. This also significantly improves the visual impression.

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

- MacBook Pro (16", 2021); Chip: Apple M1 Max; actual macOS || Thrustmaster TCA AIRBUS EDITION: 1x Sidestick, 2x Quadrant, 2x Quadrant Add-On || Pro-Flight-Trainer PUMA X

- iPad (12,9", 4th Generation, RAM: 6 GB); actual iOS || nimbus steelseries

• Hi for all of Europe I disable the "eu" folder in images within fs4 and ONLY use my photo scenery and it works great.

Just add 2 underscores in front of the folder name like this __eu

The correct path: SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Aerofly FS 4 Flight Simulator/scenery/images/__eu

Thanks for that suggestion. It does work. I don't think I'd have the space to install all HD scenery but I'm certainly going to add more. I guess its no biggy to change that each time before you go in if you want to use User scenery or put it back if you want to use the IPACS Europe ones but it would be easier if you didn't have to. Perhaps IPACS could chime in on if this is something they could improve.

KR Matt

IZ0JUB I did notice this one small oddity at RAF Valley... Rest looked flawless

• Hi Michael

I did do that in accord with your instructions. However there was some messing around I did before I had your solution to the jaggy coast, maybe I've got a duplicate copy somewhere .What is the file name of that individual tile? I'll do a search to check I haven't messed up.

KR Matt