Selective Offline Downloads

• Jet-Pack (IPACS)

Hello,

Would it be possible to download certain regions and airports for offline usage, such as on IRL flights without wi-fi? I like to fly on the sim when airborne but can't get strong enough wi-fi. Therefore, can "sectors" or "regions" be made available for local download on powerful devices so those areas can be used even when there is no internet? That's why I LOVED old Aerofly games, but I upgraded my device last weekend and no longer have access to those games. I want to fly in the USA and Europe (FS2023 regions) so I'd be appreciative if local files could be made available.

Thanks,

Thekingbuji333

Kind regards and safe flying.

-Thekingbuji333

• We need to limit the amount of data that each user downloads because it costs money to host and distribute this much data (upwards of a Terra-byte for the whole world). Each time we update something, which can be multiple times a month, all users would then need to re-download GBs of data before they can use the sim. Outdated data would need to be refreshed to ensure there are no conflicts due to newer software versions. This would cost a lot more money so we would not be able to roll out updates to scenery nearly as often or prices would need to go up. Besides, the same regions that you had in previous versions would now be several times larger on your storage because of all the new buildings and objects. I estimate that you would need upwards of 100GB or 200GB for the previous regions.

We have considered pre-loading the data along a preset route so that data is cached ahead of time but we don't know if a user will actually continue to the destination or not. More than 50% of the time I would just waste a lot of data without it being used, that's why it's currently not implemented.

In summary: Prices for the subscription would need to increase significantly or we would not be able to update the sim or we would need to charge users based on their data use (price per GB) if we were to allow large amounts of data to be downloaded. Each time there is a sim update you would then have to pay again to re-download the new data, since old data may potentially corrupt your sim and make it unplayable.

Regards,

Jan

• We need to limit the amount of data that each user downloads because it costs money to host and distribute this much data (upwards of a Terra-byte for the whole world). Each time we update something, which can be multiple times a month, all users would then need to re-download GBs of data before they can use the sim. Outdated data would need to be refreshed to ensure there are no conflicts due to newer software versions. This would cost a lot more money so we would not be able to roll out updates to scenery nearly as often or prices would need to go up. Besides, the same regions that you had in previous versions would now be several times larger on your storage because of all the new buildings and objects. I estimate that you would need upwards of 100GB or 200GB for the previous regions.

We have considered pre-loading the data along a preset route so that data is cached ahead of time but we don't know if a user will actually continue to the destination or not. More than 50% of the time I would just waste a lot of data without it being used, that's why it's currently not implemented.

In summary: Prices for the subscription would need to increase significantly or we would not be able to update the sim or we would need to charge users based on their data use (price per GB) if we were to allow large amounts of data to be downloaded. Each time there is a sim update you would then have to pay again to re-download the new data, since old data may potentially corrupt your sim and make it unplayable.

I've got 2TB of which I've used 30GB so I think I'd be okay.

Kind regards and safe flying.

-Thekingbuji333

The sim is excellent as it is and there is no reason to implement changes that would generate increased costs for the IPACS team and subsequently for users. Thanks.