Steam Beta A321 PTU sounds

• Yeah I gotta agree it sounds horrible still, because they used the old sound instead of developing from new like the IAE. I’m a little bummed out because the CFM is my favorite sounding engine on the a320 series ☹️ it should something like this

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I've had a look at the PTU sounds and ELEC pumps too, and I don't think they sound anything remotely like the real aircraft, unfortunately. Hopefully the sounds for the CFM variant are fixed before public release.

Kind regards and safe flying.

-Thekingbuji333

• Just had a listen to the new PTU sounds and the pumps. They are terrible!!! I’m not one to start ranting as I love this sim but I’d rather not have these sounds included at all than have those PTU noises. The real noises are so iconic I love them!!! Would be great if you delay the update and add the real noises, You can get a ton of these sounds online and add them to the sim.

• Just had a listen to the new PTU sounds and the pumps. They are terrible!!! I’m not one to start ranting as I love this sim but I’d rather not have these sounds included at all than have those PTU noises. The real noises are so iconic I love them!!! Would be great if you delay the update and add the real noises, You can get a ton of these sounds online and add them to the sim.

They are horrid. I'd prefer to have a delay to fix the crew call panel, fowler fairings, (maybe a Jetstar livery?), and better PTU/ELEC pump sounds, as well as a fix to the awful internal CFM sounds.

-Thekingbuji333

Edited once, last by Thekingbuji333 (May 9, 2024 at 5:59 PM).

• Official Post

I'm not yet happy with the PTU sounds myself. It's difficult to get a recording of just a constant pitch without the usual up and down pitching that the PTU does. Otherwise I will need to fake the sounds and just play them without any relation to the actual physics which I don't like.

Same with the electric pump. If you have any video where you can just hear the pump, no apu, no engine, no passengers talking over it, then I can perhaps create a better sound loop.

• I'm not yet happy with the PTU sounds myself. It's difficult to get a recording of just a constant pitch without the usual up and down pitching that the PTU does. Otherwise I will need to fake the sounds and just play them without any relation to the actual physics which I don't like.

Same with the electric pump. If you have any video where you can just hear the pump, no apu, no engine, no passengers talking over it, then I can perhaps create a better sound loop.

I do. I'll send it later if you can DM me please. It'd be simpler that way since it's a video file.

It is taken aboard an A318, but that shouldn't be a problem. There is five straight minutes of video of single-engine taxiing with the ELEC pump activated at LFPG. There should be some isolated audio. (There is a loongggggg PTU cycle too.)

-Thekingbuji333

• Official Post

I do. I'll send it later if you can DM me please. It'd be simpler that way since it's a video file.

It is taken aboard an A318, but that shouldn't be a problem. There is five straight minutes of video of single-engine taxiing with the ELEC pump activated at LFPG. There should be some isolated audio. (There is a loongggggg PTU cycle too.)

Don't get me wrong. I have plenty of videos of the PTU. The issue is that it's always just a barking sound. BUT the PTU can also run continuously to power the other hydraulic sound. The barking is just the PTU starting up and stopping right away. I have plenty of those sound recordings myself. I just need a video where the PTU doesn't really bark which is very hard to come by and with the recent changes to the search algorithms it's become impossible to find such unique videos.

If you have a look at the spectrogram, you'll see what I mean with changing pitch of the PTU sound.

That pitch changes shall come from the simulated PTU speed and not from an audio, at least then it would be simulated correctly. So I first need to make such a sound to a constant pitch, which takes time but then I also need to filter out the engines and air conditioning which are at constant pitch whilst the PTU pitch changes...

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

-Thekingbuji333

• Don't get me wrong. I have plenty of videos of the PTU. The issue is that it's always just a barking sound. BUT the PTU can also run continuously to power the other hydraulic sound. The barking is just the PTU starting up and stopping right away. I have plenty of those sound recordings myself. I just need a video where the PTU doesn't really bark which is very hard to come by and with the recent changes to the search algorithms it's become impossible to find such unique videos.

If you have a look at the spectrogram, you'll see what I mean with changing pitch of the PTU sound.

That pitch changes shall come from the simulated PTU speed and not from an audio, at least then it would be simulated correctly. So I first need to make such a sound to a constant pitch, which takes time but then I also need to filter out the engines and air conditioning which are at constant pitch whilst the PTU pitch changes...

The electric pump sound wouldn't be too hard to develop since it's a constant pitch, right?

-Thekingbuji333

• Don't get me wrong. I have plenty of videos of the PTU. The issue is that it's always just a barking sound. BUT the PTU can also run continuously to power the other hydraulic sound. The barking is just the PTU starting up and stopping right away. I have plenty of those sound recordings myself. I just need a video where the PTU doesn't really bark which is very hard to come by and with the recent changes to the search algorithms it's become impossible to find such unique videos.

External Content www.youtube.com

This one has a fairly stable sound when airborne, but it may be difficult to filter.

-Thekingbuji333

• Official Post

External Content www.youtube.com

This one has a fairly stable sound when airborne, but it may be difficult to filter.

Looks pretty good, thanks! Yes, that's what I mean. It eventually reaches somewhat of a steady state.

• Official Post

I thought the ptu wasn't audible from the flight deck irl? I haven't flown it yet so not sure if you can only hear it in a passenger view.

Well depends on how much background noise there is. The airframe can transmit the sound, so it should be audible if you are listening for it and have packs off and flight deck door open perhaps... It's like pilots saying they never hear the clapping yet you can hear the autopilot disengage sounds sometimes in the cabin... Sound should go both ways symmetrically, so any loud noise in the rear should make it into the flightdeck, too.

It's really a bummer that the newer A320s have a redesigned PTU from what I have heard. So they don't make the barking noises anymore...

• Hopefully you could add the proper PTU sound before you release the update across all platforms

If you already have the recordings of the start up of the PTU then at least add that(. Super please with a cherry on top.

Edited once, last by Jet-Pack (IPACS): Merged a post created by LeonLS into this post. (May 9, 2024 at 7:35 PM).

• I'm not yet happy with the PTU sounds myself. It's difficult to get a recording of just a constant pitch without the usual up and down pitching that the PTU does. Otherwise I will need to fake the sounds and just play them without any relation to the actual physics which I don't like.

I'll try to see if I can get that

Kind Regards,

Dylan

• Well depends on how much background noise there is. The airframe can transmit the sound, so it should be audible if you are listening for it and have packs off and flight deck door open perhaps... It's like pilots saying they never hear the clapping yet you can hear the autopilot disengage sounds sometimes in the cabin... Sound should go both ways symmetrically, so any loud noise in the rear should make it into the flightdeck, too.

It's really a bummer that the newer A320s have a redesigned PTU from what I have heard. So they don't make the barking noises anymore...

Thanks you that was interesting, true sound should go both ways. I will give the 321 a flight tonight, looks like a solid update.

Yeah sad the newer ones don't have the sound, it's always great hearing it when flying during startup, went on a few neos and didn't hear it.

• Looks pretty good, thanks! Yes, that's what I mean. It eventually reaches somewhat of a steady state.

Will the CFM sounds inside the cockpit/frontal cabin be remixed? They still sound a bit high-pitched. I’d be happy to hear even the external sound but quieted slightly. It would sound more realistic than what we have now. Will the nose wheel steering be cut off if we don’t use the ELEC PUMP and are single-engine taxiing?

-Thekingbuji333