Interlink Elite Controller digital trim switches.

• I just purchased aerofly RC7 Ultimate Edition through Steam and I am very happy with it. I am using the Interlink Elite Controller with it as I own RealFlight 6.5 also and it works great except the digital trim switches do not do anything in aerofly. Please add support for these switches and possibly the menu select, cancel and menu up/down switch that are also on this controller. I also fly real RC airplanes. Not being able to trim in this simulator is its only downfall, even if you (the developers) decide not to implement the digital trim switches on the Interlink Elite Controller, please add trim adjustments available through keyboard shortcuts and analog axes. In the windows device properties for the Interlink Elite Controller, the digital trim switches, menu select, cancel and menu up/down switches do not appear and the digital trim switches have no effect on any of their associated axes, so I understand if you are unable/unwilling to implement them in your simulator, but again, please add trim adjustments available through keyboard shortcuts and analog axes. I find a lot of the airplanes and helicopters in this simulator need constant pressure on the stick to keep them straight and level, even with no wind. As with real RC aircraft and also real full size aircraft, being able to adjust trim is critical to be able to fly the aircraft safely and comfortably. I also have a Logitech G940 flight system for my pc flight simulators, it has force feedback and a total of 12 axes available; 3 of which are specifically for trim; I have not tried my G940 with aerofly yet, but please add support for trim with analog axes, and force feedback if you like.

• Who has a force feedback in his RC aircraft? Raise your hands up please! :D
    Well almost every rc controller (even the cheap 30 Euro controlers) that you can connect to the rc7 comes with its own trim, so why program one if 95% of the users allready have it :)

Cheers,
    Jan

I realize there is no force feedback on RC aircraft, it is just a nice feature to have on any flight simulator; RC or not.

My Interlink Elite Controller has digital trim switches, but they are not working with this simulator, and for those who do not have a RC controller; it would be advantageous to be able to trim the aircraft.

• that you can connect to the rc7 comes with its own trim, so why program one if 95% of the users allready have it :)

Cheers,
    Jan

Not true at all.

Most USB RC controllers have the old style analog trim sliders, not modern digital trims like the Interlink and REAL RC transmitters.

That means if you trim out the sim for one plane, the next plane you load will have the wrong trim settings.

Trim settings should be saved on a PER PLANE and PER EDITED VERSION basis, so whatever you set the trim to, stays with the model you load.

That way you do not have to screw around with a USB controller's analog trims nor do you have problems with other game controllers that have NO trims what-so-ever.

Megatherion used his own controller as an example of that, but you erroneously focused on the force feedback instead. You missed the point.

As he said, even implementing a keyboard based trim as an alternative or additional mechanism makes things easier for the end user.

As things are now right, using the Game Commander is maddening compared with the ease of Digital Trims the Interlink provides with it's native Sim.

• Ok, maybe I was wrong about the percentage :) ...I have not read about any complains regarding the trim settings for the past three years...

But why don't you just edit the affected aircrafts and save them as modifications ("edited version")? Then the "trim" gets saved for each individual aircraft!
    For example you could change the center of the elevator servo until it flies straight.
    The developer(s) of the original aircraft allready did that in way its suitable for most pilots and most flight situations for each airplane.
    This is the most elegant solution for this trim problem. You load the aircraft and its trimmed as you left it. It is allready there! :confused:

Regarding analog trimmers: Yes you need to center the trim before loading the next aircraft. You would have to do the same thing if you are flying in real live out on the rc flying site.

Which aircraft is it that you want to trim in particular?

Cheers,
    Jan

• Megatherion: If the digital trim switches have no effect in the Windows Controller dialog, we might not be able to support them. It could be a special mode that the realflight controller is working, in order for the digital trims to work. keyboard trims are of course a solution, but a very user unfriendly one.
    We will try to get one of the realflight controllers and check if we can support the trims.

• Ok, maybe I was wrong about the percentage :) ...I have not read about any complains regarding the trim settings for the past three years...

Silence does not mean this is not desired. Ipaqs mentioned attempting to support something like this previously and I for one have been waiting for it.

But why don't you just edit the affected aircrafts and save them as modifications ("edited version")? Then the "trim" gets saved for each individual aircraft!

That's a long and laborious workaround for something that would be better handled by a modification to the sim.

Neophytes could not cope with changing incidence angles etc. but would have no problem understanding that to trim out a plane diving to the ground, they hit PG-UP or a digital trim on a USB controller.

Even real TX's hooked up to Aerofly have problems with the trim settings being changed when a new model is loaded and using the previous TX trims.

This is the most elegant solution for this trim problem. You load the aircraft and its trimmed as you left it. It is allready there! :confused:

No it's not "elegant", instead it's a brute force "kludge".

Implementing some form of digital trims is far more realistic and comparable to what we have on our real TX's.

Yes you need to center the trim before loading the next aircraft. You would have to do the same thing if you are flying in real live out one the rc flying site.

You must own a very old RC transmitter.

All modern transmitters permit you to adjust the trim settings of the particular RC model you are flying at the moment WHILE the plane is in flight.

Once done there is no "centering" or anything like that before you switch planes. Rather your trim settings are saved WITH THE PLANE's configuration in the TX.

Switch to another plane and the TX picks up the previous trim settings for that plane too... and if you don't switch planes in the TX, then the TX and RX refuse to "talk" to one another which is itself another safety feature.

The user does not have to adjust anything... same for helis, quads, sailplanes, etc.

I own seven different TX's and they all do this. The oldest is almost 10 years old and it too has digital trims.

Aerofly should emulate the same thing. This is a salient feature of the Interlink.

• The digital trims are handled as a completely separate USB signal to the simulator. They do not appear as "buttons" nor joystick inputs, but if you throw an analyzer on the USB bus you do see their effects/pulses.

The sim records the trim settings in the aircraft's configuration file each time the trim is altered.

A keyboard solution is better than nothing, and it is doubtful to be as unfriendly as having no simulated digital trims.

You could offer the option of disabling the simulated digital trims as a default or assigning them to other secondary controllers and/or buttons for other control devices.

As Megatherion said other controllers DO provide button presses as trim inputs, something that Aerofly cannot deal with now to adjust the trim. My Hotas system does that as do many other flight controllers.

This would be a welcome addition if you can do it.

Hint: More 3D airfields please! The island airfields are AWESOME!

• opjose: Thank you for your Input. So you say the digital trims are transmitted each time you move them?
    I am confused, do the Realflight controller trims have an effect or not in aerofly RC 7?

According from what you describe it might be easier than we think to add support for them to aerofly.

What do you mean with a button trim: Is your intend to assign a trim functionality to a single button, e.g. if you press the button all channels like aileron, rudder and elevator are set to neutral position?

We thought about more 4D fields, but people seem to prefer the photo sceneries.