Updates and new content

• Things have been quiet since the release so I'm just wondering what the developers are working on. Can you share what the future plans are? Is it bug fixes, will there be new regions or new aircraft. I'm happy to spend on IAP for new content so curious what may be in the pipeline and how soon.

• A new HUD display? I hope it will be optional, because I really LOVE the actual flight info bar. Many people would find quite annoying an all-time visible HUD in front of their eyes.

• I'm surprised about the negativity towards a HUD. Options are good are they not? Even on the iPad it is still a small screen you are using so it's nice to have the option of seeing more of the terrain etc. while still having all the important data presented to you in an easy to see manner. Competing sims have this option for a reason and for me Aerofly 2 is the best looking of the lot so it's a nice option to have.

I'm also wondering about new regions. There was talk of Switzerland being added back in from FS which would be great with the new engine and again, I'm happy with IAP at a sensible price point - this is actually one of the few apps were I purchase IAP content.
    Any other regions being considered? Where would people like to see - I think the Caribbean would be a nice choice for the variation with islands and ocean.

• I'm curious how many people frequent these forums and how large the user base is for Aerofly 2. Would love to see more feedback on here and hopefully work with the Devs to make this the best mobile sim out there - not saying it's not already but they all have their pros and cons and people all have different things they value.

I would also love to see the lightning ad shadows refined if possible. Aircraft in general seem lit up more than they should be especially in low sunlight on the opposite side of the aircraft but I realise this is most likely not an easy task to improve. I would also like to see shadows refined i.e. all landing gear cast a shadow and also the shadows appear less blocky up close. I do love how you can track your shadow as you come in to land depending on where the sun is in the sky though.

• I would like a more authentic night view, flying at night with lit instruments doesn't allow the eyes to really fully adjust to the darkness and the view outside is not this clear, it is like super nova full moon extra bright right now. Open country should be very dark, if coming away from a built up area it should seem nearly black.

Edited once, last by Overloaded (February 5, 2015 at 11:44 PM).

• I would like a more authentic night view, flying at night with lit instruments doesn't allow the eyes to really fully adjust to the darkness and the view outside is not this clear, it is like super nova full moon extra bright right now. Open country should be very dark, if coming from a built up area it should seem nearly black.

That is one of the things I call out on a review I am doing. I'm not sure if it is a conscious decision to assist the player with visual navigation by having a minimal amount of ambient light always available or some other reason. The darkest night sky looks grey though instead of pitch black.

• What I really miss it's the light from cities, towns and roads. Flying at night feels a bit unrealistic when you can only see lights from airstrips.
    And clouds, of course... :)

I've flown at night on a number of occasions. When there is no moon, or there is an overcast, things are really dark and the outline of the runway made by the runway lights is all you can see, along with the airport beacon. However when flying over towns or cities, quite a bit of detail is visible because of the street lighting.

Now, when the moon is full, and you have low scattered clouds (say 20% coverage), night flying is spectacular. There is enough moonlight to see the runway even with the lights turned off, and of course the tops of the clouds are brilliantly lit up. Flying above the cloud layer you can see farms, rivers, lakes, and other major terrain details. So the solution for AFS is to model this real life factor in which moonlight plays a vital role in visibility.

Cheers,

Adak47

• The aerofly has a certain ambient light in the night so that you can still see things even on an ipad in a bright surrounding. As Adak mentioned, the real moon light can be pretty bright. And this is always the case in with a clear sky in the aerofly FS. Its not unrealistic its just not what we are used to see from our cameras. But our eyes can pick up more light than they can.

On that topic:

Have you ever flown from a lit up city to a lake or ocean? You suddenly lose all orientation! It even scared me in a simulator few days ago. As soon as the last few lamps are out of the sight its all pitch black. And if the water then reflects the stars all hope is lost. Good thing I had an artificial horizon otherwise I would have been doomed with my instable helicopter :D

Cheers,
    Jan

Regards,

Jan

• Have you ever flown from a lit up city to a lake or ocean? You suddenly lose all orientation! It even scared me in a simulator few days ago. As soon as the last few lamps are out of the sight its all pitch black. And if the water then reflects the stars all hope is lost. Good thing I had an artificial horizon otherwise I would have been doomed with my instable helicopter :D

Jan,

My Dad used to tell me about that. Apparently, when you make the transition it is like going from VFR to IFR. My CFI used to say that it is really best to regard flying at night as instrument flying, even though technically you can still meet the requirements for VFR flight.

But what a shock it must be to go IFR when it is totally unexpected! It is one thing when you enter clouds during the day and are mentally prepared for the transition, and quite another when the external view just disappears -- or even worse, when it is replaced by a replica of what is above the horizon (stars above stars)!

Regards,

Adak47

• If flying by visual flight rules there is a legal requirement to keep a specific minimum distance from cloud and not go where there is mist or fog below a specific visibility. If the law is observed there will not be unexpected loss of visual references. If flying by instrument flight rules the pilot and aeroplane will be up to the job.

• If flying by visual flight rules there is a legal requirement to keep a specific minimum distance from cloud and not go where there is mist or fog below a specific visibility.

I believe the CFI's point was that on a dark night over open country or water without artificial lighting on the surface, that disorientation was more likely, especially in inexperienced pilots. Whatever the reason for the disorientation, and there are several more, the solution is immediately to go into instrument flying mode and maintain that until the disorientation (due to lack of contact with external references) is reduced. I don't disagree with your point that if the FAR's are being followed for VFR flight, it should be possible to do so without instruments. But as a practical matter the kind of disorientation described by Jan can occur even in experienced pilots, and when it does they transition to instruments until it clears up. This is just common sense. It is also one reason that VFR pilots are trained in instrument flying even though they not legally entitled to fly in IFR conditions.

Adak47

• I was refering to the comment about what a shock it must be to suddenly go IFR, I presumed it meant to suddenly go IMC ie cloud or fog.

My bad - I meant the logical equivalent of going IFR, but without actually doing so. A perceptual phenomenon in this case, rather than a characterization of the actual state of affairs. I was once flying marginal VFR at night, looked down at the aeronautical chart illuminated by my flashlight for a few seconds, and when I looked up again I had lost the horizon. Not because I flew into IFR conditions, but because my eyes had light-adapted while looking at the chart and so they temporarily became less sensitive. When I dark-adapted again the horizon came back into view, but during the interim it was nice to have the artificial horizon...

Adak47