• Okay, I know iPacs talked about a Global Flight model for Aerofly 2 and I assumed that was something that would be coming in an update when there are more regions available. I saw earlier today someone posted a review on iTunes talking how they managed to head out west and fly right around the world. I thought it was someone just making stuff up but curiosity got the better of me so I have my iPad mini sitting on my desk and have the F-18 currently flying on autopilot heading due West. So far I am 2700NM from Santa Rosa and I'm roughly tracking this on Google Maps which has me in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. All I can see just now is water below me (obviously) but I even have the moon tracking through the sky! It will be interesting if I encounter land in a couple of hours but this is hugely impressive. It may not be particularly practical due to the real time nature or even realistic (at least in an F-18) but it opens up a lot of possibilities. I would love to be able to map a flight plan and then fast forward through it on autopilot to make flying long haul flights a real option.
    I'll update on this as the flight continues but I'm surprised more hasn't been said about this!

• I would love to be able to map a flight plan and then fast forward through it on autopilot to make flying long haul flights a real option.

Well, this would be terrific, if true. The first thing I would do is organize a group to replicate Lindberg's transatlantic flight of 1927 in the Spirit of St. Louis. We could take turns flying 4 hour segments of the flight using the scenery location menu to put the next pilot on shift in the same position as the previous pilot.

All we need is:

1. Krzysk/Jan/? to design the Spirit of St. Louis.
    2. Krzksk/Jan/? to design the departure airport on Long Island (near Oyster Bay, as I recall).
    3. Krzksk/Jan/? to design the arrival airport, Le Bourget, northeast of Paris.
    4. A bunch of crazy pilots willing to take the shifts.
    5. A brave volunteer for the night landing at Le Bourget.

Adak47

P.S. I am serious!

• Okay, I have just flown over some small strips of land - I suspect the northern most islands of Japan but ground textures are very blurry and I have no way of confirming location. This seems to confirm that the global flight is already possible - albeit without much in the way of navigation assistance. This makes the whole UTC time slider under Conditions much more meaningful now.

• Okay, I have just flown over some small strips of land - I suspect the northern most islands of Japan but ground textures are very blurry and I have no way of confirming location.

Won't the scenery location map give you a look down view that you could zoom out on to see if the shapes of the land look like Japan?

• Won't the scenery location map give you a look down view that you could zoom out on to see if the shapes of the land look like Japan?

That is only for location. I don't want to access that just now in case it resets the flight. I have been using the in flight navigation map but of course it only lists airports so nothing on there. The only frame of reference I have at the moment is the distance from the nearest airport which is showing Merced Regional 4134NM behind me. :)
    Once I'm properly over land I will try that location map to see.

• I don't want to access that just now in case it resets the flight.

Good point. Once you try it out, you will know for future explorations if you can rely on it.

You should be able to zoom out in the navigation map view, as well, but maybe not as far as you need..

• Yup, I figured out the coordinates from the location page but once you have been in there, when you start the game afterwards it resets your location to a point in the mapped region as I suspected.
    I've now started from the easterly most point on the map and heading east so I'll see when I reach the east coast of the US and then record the coordinates and check on google.

• Well managed to clear the east coast and reach the Atlantic. Checked the coordinates (roughly) and they showed me a little north east of New York. I only saw some of the ground before I got back to the iPad but it looks like there is elevation data but no detail as such.

Edited once, last by donka (February 21, 2015 at 10:15 AM).

• Its interesting that people don't seem to know this, but yes Aerofly 2 is indeed global, e.g. you can fly around the whole world, especially since you don't run out of full yet :). That was actually our hardest thing while making Aerofly 2. People don't see much difference to our previous version aerofly FS, but you will see the benefits in the upcoming updates.
    For space reasons on iOS devices you will only see very low resolution images of the whole world, but you should be able to sometimes recognize a few things. Adding higher resolution images and height data for the whole world would add around 2-4 GB of extra space. We will see if we can offer this as a free download in the future for devices that have more than just 16 GB.

• Thanks support. Can I ask, I'm assuming these very low resolution images are already included in the app and don't require any internet connection? If so, this is actually quite impressive. Do good have any idea when new regions will be available and will we be able to navigate between them ie set the starting point in one region and set the destination as an airport in another region?

• I am running aerofly on an 16gb iPad mini (retina) and hope to download as much aerofly content as possible. If the switzerland scenery is added to aerofly 2 then I can delete Aerofly FS and will be able to dedicate a whole 6.5GB to Aerofly 2! Hopefully this would be enough to download all sceneries and aircraft as well as higher resolution imagery.