• I wanted to start a new thread devoted to Aerofly 2 videos since a few are starting to pop up in other threads.
    To start it off, here is my overview that is going to be included in a comparison article on a couple of other forums. It covers most aspects of Aerofly 2 and also touches on some bugs. Apologies for the synthesised commentary but I don't get enough quiet time to record a voice over for longer videos.

[video=youtube_share;2AN4RLcXBCA]

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/media]

Edited once, last by donka (May 15, 2015 at 6:37 AM).

• I think this thread should become a sticky so people can easily find it. also I think should endeavour to create some tutorial videos teaching people certain techniques in particular aircraft such as "How to land the 747" or "how to use ILS in a Baron 58". This would then become a very useful resource.

Also this should be a place where people can post videos and get feedback or advice on their flying and ways to improve.

• Here is a quick overview of the new 2.0.3 update including Boeing 737. Best viewed in full screen on YouTube and the quality in the video doesn't reflect how crisp this game looks on the iPad Air 2.

[video=youtube_share;wLtMZG5f9DQ]

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/media]

• An overview of the P-38 Lightning in 2.0.5 on the iPad Air 2. No commentary, just raw video.

[video=youtube_share;vMNaoaGfa1o]

[/media]

• Great video Donka!

What software are you using to capture video and audio with such high quality?

Btw, I can't see the flickering glitch on top of the cockpit's panel. Can you confirm if there's any noticeable artifact in the cockpit of your P-38?

• Just in the middle of that gap is where the flicker happens. I'm not sure what causes it, but it's quite distracting.
    Any other iPad Air 2 user can confirm this glitch or it's just me?

• Great video Donka!

What software are you using to capture video and audio with such high quality?

Btw, I can't see the flickering glitch on top of the cockpit's panel. Can you confirm if there's any noticeable artifact in the cockpit of your P-38?

Thanks. I'm just using Quick Time player on the Mac with the iPad plugged in via USB.
    I'll check again did this flickering but I haven't noticed it so far.

• OK, I can replicate the flicker on both a mini 2 with Retina and the Air 2. It's harder to see on the mini and best to zoom in to see it. It happens in normal flight but I think it is exacerbated by the slightest of movements.

I noticed that if you set autopilot for altitude and once you reach that altitude, the flicker is much less pronounced, to the point of disappearing. If you then pan your view a little left or right then it returns so I suspect it is related to the current point of view and because the view in the is cockpit is dynamic, anything that alters that such as normal hand movement or moving the angle of view when on the level brings it back.

• Thank you guys! It is one of those things that, once you noticed it, you can't stop noticing it.

I think the flicker is produced by two overlapping polygons, maybe part of the fuselage that are in a "coplanar" position with the windshield. Moving those polygons further apart would reduce and even eliminate the problem.

I hope it'll be fixed in a upcoming update because I really love these old warbirds, and the P-38 is one of my all-time favorites planes.

Cheers.

• And that reminds me, there is a similar issue at the start of runway 29 at Oakland as you come in to land. It is easiest to see in cockpit view but can be seen from some other views to depending on aircraft and angle.

Edited once, last by donka (April 6, 2015 at 6:10 AM).

• With the sun low in the sky the shadow of the horizontal sight mount on the flat coaming above the instrument panel lenghtens and shortens with any tremor in the aircrafts pitch. When I'm lying down my heart beat causes slight elevator cycling through the iPads control input. Could this be part of the phenomenon reported?
    Does the flicker vanish with;
    The sun high in the sky?
    The iPad resting on a firm surface?
    The analog thumb sliders control input method?

• Flickering is a phenomenon in 3D rendering known as "Z-Fighting", that occurs when two or more polygons have the same or similar values in the z-buffer. In Aerofly 2, it can also be noticed on shadows cast by far buildings and some runways, where markings are drawing on a separate layer over the tarmac. In order to fix it, it's necessary to edit the 3D model, moving the coplanar polygons further apart or, in some cases, increasing the precision of the z-buffer.

• The first in a series covering the various aircraft in Aerofly 2.

[video=youtube_share;SDYUSowLDxs]

[/media]

• Here is the Baron 58...

[video=youtube_share;2tvEJaHYCkc]

[/media]

• Boeing 747...

[video=youtube_share;yrLlVPLp714]

[/media]