Suggestions to Improve Value

• This is really directed to Aerofly developers and seem to be issues seen on other forums. Overall, Aerofly is excellent and possibly the best SIM on the market, but the entire top tier SIM's continue to get better. It has helped my flying immensely.

1. On this forum many of the threads are in German and are of no help. I have selected English, but still see many in German. Could these be translated (also English to German or even other languages) somehow so we all can benefit.

2. Would really like to see more variety in trainers (including taildraggers) such as Sensei, Apprentice, etc. Given the popularity of Electrics and Foam, nice to have more of these or a way to switch from gas/nitro to electric for many of the models. Have been able to modify a couple but a hassle. Planes in the 2-4 lb. range would also be great. The Professional MAC version I have is not cheap and other SIM's seem to have addressed this to a greater extent.

3. While Aerofly probably has one of the best field views, still not like being at the field. Seems to be more limited with last update.

This is not meant to be negative or complaining, but rather suggestions to some issues that I have encountered. Really want this SIM to continue to excel and make this forum even more helpful and beneficial.

Steve O.

1. On this forum many of the threads are in German and are of no help. I have selected English, but still see many in German. Could these be translated (also English to German or even other languages) somehow so we all can benefit. Steve O.

Open a German top level thread.

Copy the URL and paste it to translate.google.com

Now everything will be translated for you.

It's not perfect, but it works pretty well.

• Hi Steve,

can you give us some more concrete examples of what kind of models you are looking for?

Please explain in some more detail what you mean by your third point.

Thanks for the response.

1. As for specific models my comment was a bit more general, focusing on primarily beginners. I feel it might be very beneficial to have more high wing, electric powered trainers. There could include Flyzone Sensei (without gyro), Apprentice (without gyro), Avistar, Sig Cadet LT40 or FMS Super EZ. There are many others, but these would be good choices IMHO. The important element is electric power as this is a big growth segment of the hobby. It is all I fly as do many newbies to the sport.

Further, larger and more foam models (i.e.58-65" or so) as many beginners and intermediate flyers use these due to lower cost, ruggedness and ease of repair. Amazingly, they fly quite well. Even for intermediate level adding foam military electric powered models would be a plus.

I have been flying for 2 seasons now and will most likely stick with electric foam models -- seem to meet my desires at this point. Being retired and beyond heavy competitiveness, will probably stick with electric and foamies as I progress.

2. Sorry for the lack of clarity. Basically, when flying at the club field, my view is much broader in that I can easily see the majority of the runway and flying area while also being able to easily see my plane, its orientation and small movements (unless flying fairly high). This view is critical, at least for myself in final approach for landing.

In the SIM (using the "Keep ground in View" setting), the view and perspective of real flying is difficult to attain and I understand it will never be perfect. When using the "wide" field of view the place becomes so small that orientation is lost many times and when "narrow" one loses sight of the runway. When adding camera "auto zoom" again lose much of the field of view and then difficult to set up for final. Continue to try various combinations of field of vision, camera zoom and Delayed camera but cannot quite reflect the real experience of the field. Acceptable, but would be nice to get a bit closer.

Also, before the recent updates this was not as big an issue but the settings were lost and they are just a tad different and I am not able to replicate the pre updates perspective, which was closer to what my above comments address.

3. Other issues that arose after the updates is that the throttle will not shut completely down, causing landing difficulties. Thought at first might be my radio but it works just fine at the field. It is a universal issue with whatever aircraft I load. In addition, my fps is inadequate to fly gas/nitro planes which was never a problem pre updates. My Macbook Pro is new this year, has a high speed processor and plenty of memory.

Am I doing something wrong, are there some settings I am unaware of that need adjustment or is it a bug with he updates. I am running the Professional Mac version.

Appreciate your help. Still do enjoy the Aerofly7 SIM.

Steve O

• Hello Steve,

to your third point:
    The simulator does not operate the same way as your rc receiver on the field. The simulator reads the input data that it receives from your operating system (windows or mac). It then applies your control device calibration and, in your case increases the throttle a little bit. This control device calibration was reset in the process of the update, so you have to repeat it again.

Here is a detailled step through:
    1. Some more advanced radio transmitters save the trim state for the aircraft. So before connecting your controller to the computer load an empty aircraft in your radio transmitter. Make sure that all trims are set to neutral in your transmitter before you do any calibration in the computer.
    2. First calibrate your device in the device manager of your operating system
    3. Then start the simulator and re-calibrate your input device

Due to the torque of the engine some aircraft tend to roll, this is an intended effect and has nothing to do with a falsy calibration. Aerofly aircraft are usually neutral at idle power and you'd have to either add counter aileron or use your trim of the input device in order to fly level with full power.

Regards,
    Jan

• Hello,
    if you want fly with foam models, you can download the MULTIfligth free simulator.
    Concerning the ground view, I tried a free software for detection movement of the head with my webcam.
    But this software is not very conclusive.
    I think this can be a good solution if Aerofly want add this option
    ex: TrackIR for Flight Simulator

• Hello Steve,

to your third point:
    The simulator does not operate the same way as your rc receiver on the field. The simulator reads the input data that it receives from your operating system (windows or mac). It then applies your control device calibration and, in your case increases the throttle a little bit. This control device calibration was reset in the process of the update, so you have to repeat it again.

Here is a detailled step through:
    1. Some more advanced radio transmitters save the trim state for the aircraft. So before connecting your controller to the computer load an empty aircraft in your radio transmitter. Make sure that all trims are set to neutral in your transmitter before you do any calibration in the computer.
    2. First calibrate your device in the device manager of your operating system
    3. Then start the simulator and re-calibrate your input device

Due to the torque of the engine some aircraft tend to roll, this is an intended effect and has nothing to do with a falsy calibration. Aerofly aircraft are usually neutral at idle power and you'd have to either add counter aileron or use your trim of the input device in order to fly level with full power.

Regards,
    Jan

Thanks for the information and "how to". Throttle and all controls now work much better including expo and trims. Haven't really had issues with rolling. Appreciate your assistance.

BTW had a good day at the field with my 2 planes -- they flew well and had all good landings, so the SIM has been a great help in getting control and the feel. Still need more practice on the SIM but really seeing the value.

Steve O.

• Hi Steve,

thats great to hear! The best thing about the sim is, once you payed for it you can crash as many times as you want, it does not cost anything to repair the aircraft in an instant. And compared to money saved by not crashing and time saved by not having to repairing after crashes, the simulator is suddenly becoming very cheap :D

It is best to start with a simulator, learn how to control the aircraft even when it comes straight at you. If you have the option do a teacher-student set up when you go to the field and learn from a person with experience. Your simulator time will make this much faster and more fun for the both of you :D
    Nowadays there are aircraft with computer assistance. Those are great, too, because you can flick the "oh crap" switch and it will recover the aircraft for you.

Many happy landings,
    Jan

• absolutely, I currently teaches a member of my club (below).
    He is trained at flight simulator.
    From the first flight, he correctly pilot flying his plane without reversing the controls

• Hi Steve,

thats great to hear! The best thing about the sim is, once you payed for it you can crash as many times as you want, it does not cost anything to repair the aircraft in an instant. And compared to money saved by not crashing and time saved by not having to repairing after crashes, the simulator is suddenly becoming very cheap :D

It is best to start with a simulator, learn how to control the aircraft even when it comes straight at you. If you have the option do a teacher-student set up when you go to the field and learn from a person with experience. Your simulator time will make this much faster and more fun for the both of you :D
    Nowadays there are aircraft with computer assistance. Those are great, too, because you can flick the "oh crap" switch and it will recover the aircraft for you.

Many happy landings,
    Jan

Last year was my first year and started out with an instructor at the local club with the buddy box and no SIM. Slow going but finally did my solo. It was tough going the rest of the year but early this year bought and worked on the simulator and have progressed to where now a lot more flying and nominal repairing.

As for me not a big believer in computer gyro assisted planes as it is a crutch and really never learn to fly as the "oh crap" switch bails you out. Couple friends started last year as well and still struggle and remain on beginner mode. Now, with heli's and quads different story.

Steve

• I'd like to address the Field of View "Keep Ground in View" comment that Steve made above. To me, the only way to fix this would be multi-monitor support, similar to FSX, but then would the 360 views still work properly without a perspective re-work? Adobe have done a lot of work with Perspective Warp / Crop in Photoshop, but those are still images and not 60fps like RC7.

Whilst the beginners market of Electrics and Foamies is certainly the real-world market, I, on the other hand would push for more of the "aspirational" models, especially more Scale & Turbine versions, and/or an increase in the size algorithms to be even larger than standard 150/200% depending on the model.

More "Truescale" would be awesome too.

But that's the trade off with trying to accommodate many different types of customers' views. My interest is with the the high-end models... the ones that cost WAY more to break than the electrics & foamies, and thus require much more practice!

• This is really directed to Aerofly developers and seem to be issues seen on other forums. Overall, Aerofly is excellent and possibly the best SIM on the market, but the entire top tier SIM's continue to get better. It has helped my flying immensely.

1. On this forum many of the threads are in German and are of no help. I have selected English, but still see many in German. Could these be translated (also English to German or even other languages) somehow so we all can benefit.

Steve O.

Could the 'Google Translate' widget be integrated into the website & forum's code? I use it very successfully on every page of our website.