Tablet recommendation

• Dear all,

After a great disappointment in finding out that the latest update is only for 64 bit versions, im resolved to purchasing a new tablet in the next 3-6 months.

Could anyone recommend the cheapest tablets that will support the new update and have reasonable longevity, graphics and functionality as a whole? I as running on ipad 3, but don't mind at all switching over to android.

• For Android we know and can recommend either the NVIDIA Shield or the Google Nexus 9.

For iOS you can get iPad Mini 4 or iPad Air 2. Ensure you get at least 32 GB or more of space, so you can install our AddOn sceneries.

Stability and performance is currently slightly higher on iOS. But with the above Android devices, its really only marginal.

As for longevity of our above recommendations, we would say those devices will work with our simulators at least for the next 2-3 years. But to be honest, we don't know what happens within the next years.

• Nvidia have just relaunched the Shield K1 Tablet for £150 or $199. It's an Android 8" tablet which will run Aerofly on maximum settings, so should be good for update longevity despite being effectively already over 1yr old.

I've just picked one up exclusively for Aerofly.

• Cessna in Navigation mode into Monterey with working RMI with ADF and VOR, radio stack DME giving VOR and ILS distance and ground speed and the transponder mirroring the altutude! On a Samsung S5 phone. The flight went smoothly and did not stop or shudder at any time. This phone has 4 times the RAM and 2.2 times the CPU speed of the iPAD mini and seems to be half reasonable. It is not 64 bit as far as I know but I think it has been said that 64 bit does not make much difference in Aerofly anyway.
    (Edited later, it seems the graphics performance is significantly better in the 2 tablets.)
    I'm not saying buy a device of this spec (2.2 GHz and 2 Gig RAM) for the new upgrade standard Aerofly but that if you do have one already it might be usable with a polished and debugged upgrade?

• Android devices have a fantastic CPU performance, which is usually better than on iOS devices.

However for Aerofly 2 the graphic card( GPU ) is much more important.

On 99% of all Android devices, the limiting factor is the slow graphic card and besides that the throttling of the whole device if it gets too hot. The Android devices mentioned above are a nice exception here.

You can get Android devices that are close or better than Apple iOS devices, but you do pay a similar price.

• Nvidia have just relaunched the Shield K1 Tablet for £150 or $199. It's an Android 8" tablet which will run Aerofly on maximum settings, so should be good for update longevity despite being effectively already over 1yr old.

I've just picked one up exclusively for Aerofly.

Do you think a smaller tablet will inhibit the experience compared to the likes of the full size ones ie. iPad Air?

• Do you think a smaller tablet will inhibit the experience compared to the likes of the full size ones ie. iPad Air?

I'm happy with the Shield, but being honest I'd imagine the bigger screen of the ipad air2 is more of a pleasure. Whether it justifies that the purchase cost is three times the cost of the shield is up to you. It wasn't for me.

The shield has other benefits for me too. The controller is just beautiful for non sim gaming. And I'm not a fan of Apples over control of its games market (I'm a big emulator player).

• My friend has aerofly on his air 2 and when I tried it out, it didn't feel too different from my mini (besides decent graphics and not crashing every 5 minutes) as far as screen size goes. However it definitely was better so if you can, get a bigger screen.
    Does anyone have the new apple tv? I wonder if mirroring aerofly onto the tv is less laggy and pixelated than on the original apple tv?

• My friend has aerofly on his air 2 and when I tried it out, it didn't feel too different from my mini (besides decent graphics and not crashing every 5 minutes) as far as screen size goes. However it definitely was better so if you can, get a bigger screen.
    Does anyone have the new apple tv? I wonder if mirroring aerofly onto the tv is less laggy and pixelated than on the original apple tv?

I have the new one. looks very good on it. havnt tried it on older ones :)

• The link from Vogt didn't give the OS, found elsewhere it's Windows 10 64 bit. The i7 is 2.6-3.7 GHz (mobile) so at 2.6 with some throttling it would be reasonable for FSX (without both complex scenery and complex aircraft add-ons used at the same time?). The PC versions of Aero would be required and I don't think Aero 2 for PC is due all that soon.

• Yes it is very good! But if all you really want it for is aerofly you're overspecing. As overloaded says, why get a laptop when you have a tablet? You can get a PC roundabout that spec for £400-500 depending on where you look and a decent monitor (full HD 16:9 res) off eBay for as little as £20. I just saw a high spec brand new PC on eBay for £300 that's around the spec of that laptop - you will need a monitor and all the other bits and bobs and an operating system for it. You can get windows 7 for £15 and it's supposed to be the best OS for gaming? If you want I'll give you the link for that PC. There's also another PC I can give you the link to that comes with windows 10 and the same spec for £370. Remember that on eBay you are protected by PayPal and eBay money back guarantee so little can go wrong. Personally I'd feel more comfortable buying off eBay than off some cheap Chinese website.