VR on mobile platforms?

• Hello,

after 8 years of Apple I just switched to an Galaxy S7 edge and couldn't help but get an Gear VR too. Although using the device makes it quite obvious that the development of VR is still at the beginning, the experience is already very interesting.

When I first got the device, without any knowledge about its capability perfomancewise, I did not expect any apps with complex 3D Graphics. I therefore didn't waste a thought on a VR Version of aeroflyFS on mobile devices anytime soon. But to my great surprise there are in fact a few apps, that feature graphics that are a lot more complex then what I expected. (e.g. End Space).

I know its still a bold thing to ask, but are there any prospects to see VR in the mobile Versions of aerofly within the coming months? It would take a lot of adjustments and the current graphics would certainly not make it to a VR Version, but with over a million Gear VR already sold I could imagine VR to take momentum in the mobile sector a lot quicker then in the high-end gaming market. Putting a foot in the door in this market, given IPACS current monopoly on mobile flight sims that are a good enough combination of looks, scenery size and flight models could be an important step.

I would love to hear your thoughts on that.

Hoinz

• Hi Hoinz, your first post for a long time. Are you using something like Google Cardboard where each eye sees 1/2 of the screen? There are some youtube demos of PC flight sims, many are quite poor as the 'camera' is zoomed to wide angle rather than being slightly telephoto, relying on head movement to pan through the virtual scene. The wide ones have awful rectilinear distortion at the edges and the instruments are tiny! Zoomed in more would give less edge distortion and make the gauges readable. I had 3d glasses working in FS5.1 (I think) many years ago. It didn't need 120 Hz, simple shutter glasses were fine.

• I have just got my GBP£ 15 Google cardboard and have torn myself away from it to continue my life. It is 100% brilliant and it's game potential is enormous. There is a Swiss airforce Northrop F5 aerobatic team video of practice flying between the Eiger and Interlaken and the 3D, any view direction in the cockpit eyepoint is staggering. A race car circuit at Le Mans is intuitive of how Aero could be transformed with 3D viewing, it is so natural and easy, looking into the fast corners with instant normal view available at will. This would make turning finals in an Aero circuit so wonderfully natural. Could some experimental Google cardboard software be useful in preparing Aero for the proper big boy 3D headsets?