• Hi Jet Pack

I wrote on your blog last saturday regarding the C172 mod. My RPM recommendations were not quite correct.

I looked up the recommendations from our flight club for take off power on the C172P.

RPM full power at take off should be between 2250 and 2300. That's with a 160 HP Lycoming O-320-D2J.

If its under 2100 rpm in summer take off should be aborted. For winter operation the value is 2200 rpm.

• There was an earlier post about setting a rpm for take-off in the 172, for a fixed pitch prop, the rpm comes from setting full throttle which at take off speed will give a comparitively low engine speed. If I remember correctly a rpm of 2,300 to 2,350 is all that is achieved.
    Higher rpms can be got only with higher airspeeds. For a given throttle setting the rpm will change with variations in airspeed but not really to the extent seen in Aerofly, the effect is several times too high and setting a sensible throttle opening is unnaturally difficult.
    Twins with constant speed props have a sustained climb rpm and manifold pressure set at typically 400 feet as with engine redundancy there is no safety need to get as high as possible in the least time in order to maximise the chance of a successful (single) engine failure forced landing.

• Heyo,

I just update the cold and dark mod since IPACS changed the initialization parameters a bit.
    I also change the installation process for the mod. This way you can keep the default Cessna, too.
    Link (and functionality) is still the same: https://www.aerofly-sim.de/download/downl…2_c172_download

Regards,
    Jan

• It should be at the end of the list, not next to the original one. Aerofly sorts the default airplanes first and then attaches the custom ones at the end.
    Can you please confirm that the folder is called "c172mod" that the .tmb file is renamed to "c172mod.tmb"?

Which livery will show as the C172mod? All three?

Regards.

Ray

• Heyo,

I just update the cold and dark mod since IPACS changed the initialization parameters a bit.
    I also change the installation process for the mod. This way you can keep the default Cessna, too.
    Link (and functionality) is still the same: https://www.aerofly-sim.de/download/downl…2_c172_download

Regards,
    Jan

Very happy !

• It should be at the end of the list, not next to the original one. Aerofly sorts the default airplanes first and then attaches the custom ones at the end.
    Can you please confirm that the folder is called "c172mod" that the .tmb file is renamed to "c172mod.tmb"?

Yes, the folder is C:\Users\Jeff\Documents\Aerofly FS2\aircraft\c172mod, and it contains c172mod.tmb.

And what "list" are you referring to? I only see a horizontal row of aircraft, with only one Cessna 172 in the row.

I gave up, and pasted the new .tmc and .tmd files into the main folder.

• Yes, the folder is C:\Users\Jeff\Documents\Aerofly FS2\aircraft\c172mod, and it contains c172mod.tmb.

And what "list" are you referring to? I only see a horizontal row of aircraft, with only one Cessna 172 in the row.

I gave up, and pasted the new .tmc and .tmd files into the main folder.

I think I followed the directions to the letter and I don't have the Mod version as a choice in addition to the original when looking at the Aircraft selection screen. There must be another step to get it to show up.

Regards.

Ray

• I must have forgotten a step then. :confused:

Here is my structure:
    C:\Users\...\Documents\Aerofly FS 2\aircraft\c172mod
    ... folders for repaints (not important)
    c172mod.tmb
    c172mod.tmc
    c172mod.tmd
    c172mod_clean.tmd
    c172mod_landing.tmd
    c172mod_takeoff.tmd
    ...ttx files...
    controls.tmd
    ... more ttx files...
    repaint.tmr
    ... more ttx and tsb files...

Can you please post if you have the same files in there?
    Or maybe the "user folder" isn't allowed?
    Try moving the "c172mod" folder into the default aircraft folder.
    ...\steamapps\common\Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator\aircraft

• I think I have the same file names but I suspect the Preview.ttx file probably needs to be different from the C172 original in order to have both in the selection carousel. The active aircraft files need to be in the Aircraft folder of the main sim, not in the user section.

The only way I have been able to get the C172mod in the selection window is to rename the original c172 folder to x_c172 and rename the c172mod to c172. Doing this will bring up the Cold and Dark description but otherwise everything looks the same.

I edited the repaint.tmr file by adding _mod to the Standard, Classic and Blue Wave so it would be obvious each repaint is the mod version.

Of course, the next time the aircraft are updated it will wipe this out by overwriting the C172 folder.

Regards.

Ray

• It does not work on my pc either.
    I have also a "c172_cold" file in my zip folder.
    What about this file name endings: TMB, TMC, TMD shoud they be in the end of the file(.tmb) name as well as listed as file type?
    In the zip file eg c172_clean is not named C172mod_clean.

I think something is wrong with your instruction and/or zip file., mybe you shold make a "for dummies" versjon :o

• Ahhh I slowly get where the mistake is. For some reason the upload was not overwritten properly. I just checked if the download was still there, didn't check if the download content was actually updated at the end. Sorry about that. Please download again now, there should be a c172mod.tmd and c172mod.tmc in the zip file and with those it should work as a separate aircraft. *head -> table*

The _cold one is not done yet, I thought it might be of interest to some people. But I threw it out now. Might be to confusing. Until it is usable... (You can try to rename the _cold to _takeoff, save the _takeoff one..., then you might have a cold and dark version on the ground...)

• Ok... I am utterly confused. This is called the cold and dark mod but when I load the plane it is just as alive as the default one. Ok, I can indeed turn everything off to cold and dark but when I return to the game later on everything is on again! I would expect a cold and dark mod to give me a cold and dark plane to start with...? Am I missing something very obvious here? What is the use of a cold and dark mod when you can't return to a cold and dark plane later on?

P.S. The mod does work as advertised now: it showed up on my selection screen without any problems. But it is of no use right now if the plane can't start cold and dark.

The _cold one is not done yet, I thought it might be of interest to some people. But I threw it out now. Might be to confusing. Until it is usable... (You can try to rename the _cold to _takeoff, save the _takeoff one..., then you might have a cold and dark version on the ground...)

Talking about confusing... :p You say that I could try to rename the _cold... which is another confusing thing because what _cold should I rename? I see no files with the name _cold in it. And how should I save the _takeoff one then...? Confuuuuuusing. ;)

• My Cessna 172 cold and dark mod just allowes you to turn off the engine, which the default C172 currently cannot do. The mod still has the engine running in each of the three presets there are: _takeoff, _clean and _landing. There is no in game option for a fourth e.g. "_cold" state yet, so I can't just modify the aircraft to turn the engine off per default without braking something else, it's not supported by the Aerofly FS 2 yet.

The file "..._cold.tmd" that I mistakenly included earlier does configure the aircraft in a cold and dark state if I programmed everything correctly back then (haven't checked the files functionality in a while). But you'd have to rename the ..._cold.tmd to c172mod_takeoff.tmd to get it to work.

Regards,
    Jan

• My Cessna 172 cold and dark mod just allowes you to turn off the engine, which the default C172 currently cannot do. The mod still has the engine running in each of the three presets there are: _takeoff, _clean and _landing. There is no in game option for a fourth e.g. "_cold" state yet, so I can't just modify the aircraft to turn the engine off per default without braking something else, it's not supported by the Aerofly FS 2 yet.

The file "..._cold.tmd" that I mistakenly included earlier does configure the aircraft in a cold and dark state if I programmed everything correctly back then (haven't checked the files functionality in a while). But you'd have to rename the ..._cold.tmd to c172mod_takeoff.tmd to get it to work.

Regards,
    Jan

Ah, ok, clear about a 4th option not being possible yet. Pity. And I don't have any previous versions from your mod so that's why I can't find that _cold file. I understand now how you have to 'abuse' the takeoff state for that cold state ;) but well, maybe in the near future we will be able to get a real cold and dark plane. Would be really great because I am not a fan of planes with engines running from the start. Feels odd. (I guess I've been a simmer for too long LOL) I just finished a flight and it IS nice being able to turn everything off! But it is also quite odd to find the plane with engines running when you get back to it. As if somebody touched MY plane without permission. ;)