What's so Special about Aerofly FS 2 ?...

• I'd say, simplicity of use together with three features I really have to point out:

-The quality of the flight dynamics, even if they've somehow simplified things like damage model from the previous version, but can of course probably be activated again, I'm almost sure. But the overall feel of flying each of the models is simply superb, and gives me a unique sensation of being there!

- Scenery: the photo scenery is excellent, compared to anything I ever tried for either MSFS or X-Plane with ortophotos, and while it makes me start to really consider finally investing on a bigger SSD just for the sim, I really don't mind that Aerofly occupies that much space, provided they really go ahead and make the whole World, in a mix of detail depending on areas, and third parties consider offering their own add-ons;

- Smoothness, even at the higher graphics levels on my old i5 2500.

Some three years ago, when I started using DCS World as an alternative to my civil flightsims because it offered such good flight dynamics, I asked at the PMDG forums, knowing some members of the team were active DCS players themselves, if they could consider developing for it, but the answer came fast, from RR, and was a No, because they will only support a platform with World coverage. Well, here's one, and one that in my opinion has the potential to grow into something really good!

Are Aerofly flight dynamics better than those of X-Plane 10 ? Well, I'd say Yes, because I do feel the aircraft so far available in this pre-release respond to my control inputs in an even more natural way, from the Sopwith F.1 to the 744. I've been running my usual battery of tests with each of the prop aircraft, now changing to the airliners, and while the various prop effects are there, they are in a more plausible and realistic way than what I find in other civil flight simulators - their real world counterparts are designed to be easy to fly, and not present such vices as those we sometimes find in even the best payware models for the other platforms. When brought to "extreme" situations, like in free aerobatics, Aerofly FS 2 shows even better it's potential!

Even if some basic stuff isn't yet modeled, like fuel consumption, the hooks are there in the data files for the aircraft, at least those we can open and explore using Notepad. It was with access to these sintax that one of the users has already made available a mod for the C172 allowing for starting and shutting down the engine, electrics, using the mixture, and I am sure many more features can easily be added, but the authors are willing to listen to their user community and making the platform grow according to as much dimensions as possible.

ATC is already being considered, an important feature that doesn't have to be too complex for a start, but really makes a difference, and if well implemented can add to the already extraordinary feel of being there that the sim offers. Systems modeling like LNAV and VNAV ( a basic implementation to start with, I guess ) for the airliners and the Lear and C90, and many more details, as well as additional DLC aircraft and detailed scenery areas are things to expect in the future from IPACS.

I decided to embrace this project, I'd say with almost the same will I embraced MS FLIGHT, and some years ago Flight Unlimited 3, and Fly. I would really like to see PMDG getting in, but not in the way things happened with their debut in the flight simulation market, leaving me an many other Fly users with 757, and many dreams of further airliners.... But A2A, FSLabs, Carenado, Flight1, Aerosoft, Just Flight ( they actually already cooperated with Aerofly fs 1 ) and others should really consider this alternative flight simulator.

Another area where Aerofly has potential is Weather modeling. I like the way they model such basic things as wind variation and turbulence, making my landings sometimes interestingly challenging, and I also like the thermals model which even if basic, is more detailed than what we get with X-plane, and can really create opportunities to enjoy one of the two gliders already available for Aerofly FS 2.

It could start with adding "simple" METAR fetch for whole World stations network, as it is presently done in other sims, and maybe even grow to something like "virtual glider" suggested at another thread!

Let's hope for the Best for Aerofly, but, if possible, let's do a bit more than just hope...I did, and my small disk hearts :-), but I do not regret having done it, and am really enjoying doing everything from landings under windy and turbulent conditions, to aerobatics and soaring. The scenery is simply the Best for VFR I have used so far!

Limited by Main Thread...

• Glad to see you are having fun!

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Glad to see you are having fun!

Thx Devon, I surely am!

And above all, without big expectations or wanting it all to happen in record time, if not for other reasons because what I already have is more than enough to enjoy the sim, and the team is small, but I do believe the platform has a lot of potential, as you've been pointing out at the AVSIM forums since it was released.

I'd say it came at the right moment for me :)

It's great to feel ( at last ! ) prop aircraft like the Baron 58 or the C90, but also the C172, the Extra 300 and the Pitts, behave in rather credible way.

The Airbus and the two Boeings are also a charm to fly.

Limited by Main Thread...