• When I center a nice thermal the usualy only last a few minutes and then die out completely. Nowhere to be found again. Its not that I get thrown out the thermal, it just seems to disappear? Is this an error? Or Am I just unlucky and I fall through a thermal bubble? Anyone else have similar experiences?

• I really don't know if the "thermal life cycle" is detailed enough in the present version. I do remember there was a key combination to make them vivible in Aerofly FS 1. Maybe it works also in v2 ? Will try to remember it...

Limited by Main Thread...

• I really don't know if the "thermal life cycle" is detailed enough in the present version. I do remember there was a key combination to make them vivible in Aerofly FS 1. Maybe it works also in v2 ? Will try to remember it...

I don't believe that functionality has been transferred....... Yet.

I wonder how Condor Soaring handles programming thermal locations....

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• I don't believe that functionality has been transferred....... Yet.

I wonder how Condor Soaring handles programming thermal locations....

Ah, contrarily to SilentWings, which uses a sophisticated algorithm based on satellite image processing, and taking into account not only the obliquity of Sun rays but also the type of terrain, the T and the Td, Condorsoaring uses trigger areas in the scenery files, so, the thermals when enabled will always appear at the same spots, being it plateaus or mountain ridges where they can combine with ridge currents.

I recall that in Aerofly fs1 thermals canted with the wind, which makes them at least better than what we have in either fsx or x-plane right now. I don't recall if the typical zones of sink in the periphery are modelled though. But just as with about anything about Aerofly, the potential is there :)

Limited by Main Thread...

• Maybe the guys grom Ipacs should hire the silent wing/condor soaring guys to implement all kinds of soaring features. Silent wing and condor soaring have nice festures for soaring, but lack greatly in the graphics department. If Ipacs does it right the complete soaring community, which is waiting for a next gen soaring simulation, will probably endorse AF2.

Off course the following things are needed then:

Realistic thermal lift, ridge lift (and wave lift)
    Realistic thermal placement in accordance with the type, slope and orientation of the terrain.
    Cumulus clouds on top of thermals with apperances in line with the thermal life cycle that is triggering them.
    Realistic turbulance (lee side of mountains, on the edges of thermals, near treelines, rotors, etc)
    Different kind of variables to set the convection layer (see another post in the forum by jcomm) in the weather menu.
    Ways to set up tasks (different kinds too)
    Multiplayer (with competionelements)
    Pda usage in the cockpit

I wonder if Ipacs has the people onboard who are enthousiastic about gliders and soaring. Otherwise my hire the guys who do idea is maybe not a bad one. Perhaps as a 3th party dlc?

• Soaring in VR........

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Official Post

[...] Pda usage in the cockpit

I wonder if Ipacs has the people onboard who are enthousiastic about gliders and soaring. Otherwise my hire the guys who do idea is maybe not a bad one. Perhaps as a 3th party dlc? [...]

I'm a glider pilot and work for IPACS btw...
    Is it ok if I re-program the Zander SD1 device in the ASG, for a start? :D
    Maybe not programming an entire route from within the device but the basic pages for showing the route, flight data and so on should be easy to do.

Cheers,
    Jan

Regards,

Jan

• I'm a glider pilot and work for IPACS btw...
    Is it ok if I re-program the Zander SD1 device in the ASG, for a start? :D
    Maybe not programming an entire route from within the device but the basic pages for showing the route, flight data and so on should be easy to do.

Cheers,
    Jan

Stop. Jcomm will get drool all over the floor. :)

Devons rig

• That would be a great start Jan, and yes, I knew you were a glider pilot and now work for Ipacs. I would love to see some of your add-on gliders you've made for AF1 in AF 2.

Keep up the good work,

Rene