Aircraft regular swaying motion...........

• A subject that was brought up in a Steam thread were some questions about a very regular swaying/rocking motion imparted to some aircraft by the physics of Aerofly FS2.

Others in the thread were of the opinion that this yawing was a feature of real aircraft and perfectly realistic, but I have to say I remain unconvinced. Certainly, I would wonder about passenger seasickness if this affect was really as pronounced as Aerofly makes it appear!

Now, with VR capability added to the sim (and VR already has nausea concerns) I'm wondering if Vr users will begin swaying in their chairs and losing their lunch sooner rather than later! :p :D

Rob Ainscough, a moderator over at Avsim has done a few very high quality 4K 60hz videos showing off the sim to very good affect, but also revealed very plainly, is this kind of annoying rocking effect.

Is this actually supposed to be realistic? Because even if it is, I would like to be able to either minimize or turn it off totally, because even in 2D its nausea inducing. :eek:

Please watch in full screen if possible.
    [video=youtube_share;9pzq8MtHpTI]

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/media]

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Official Post

That just looks like the turbulence is set too high. The turbulence currently feels like just random changes in wind speed and direction. Real turbulence also has up and down drafts and the strength is not randomly set, its more of a constructive motion. E.g. when you get neat a turbulence field it starts to shake slowly and softly (not oszillate) and then intensivies as you fly further... There are quick smaller / rapid turbulences that compensate each other more or less and there are larger soft but strong turbulences that can actually increase the bank angle over time if not corrected. Thermals as an example: you have a strong core that fades out to the edges where you start to get small vibrations/turbulences where the rising air mixes with the surrounding...

If you want to fly VR I recommend setting the turbulence much lower than in the video. That is just unrealistically high and you would only encouter such turbulence on a really windy day near a storm maybe.

• If you read through the comments on the video, you'll see that turbulence was also mentioned (unfavorably) as a possible cause. The issue there is that real turbulence at least as normally depicted, has a much more random aspect, but in Aerofly seems to manifest itself as improbably regular. Still something that begs for additional attention, because even if the cause is turbulence, the regular, nearly metronomic nature of the movement is just begging for nausea. :D

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• The turbulance isnt modelled very convincing at the moment. Real turbulance can make you bumb your head against the canopy. See the next video of Bruno Vassel flying a glider ��
    https://youtu.be/DYJufTZg3pQ

Nice! that will definitely keep you awake!

Devons rig

• As I also posted at that Steam thread, I like it the way it is, and I do think it's due not only to turbulence but also to wind variability in direction and intensity as presently modeled in Aerofly FS2.

I would welcome some tuning of the algorithm, provided the developers don't reduce the effects. Under some circumstances they should even be increased IMO.

I make my approaches with max x-wind component, max turbulence and max thermal activity ( in order to also get some nice up/down drafts... )

IRL it can never compare to my experience once flying through a rotor cloud :-/ after a nice wave session...

Limited by Main Thread...

• Official Post

IRL it can never compare to my experience once flying through a rotor cloud :-/ after a nice wave session...

I did that one day, too, wasn't much fun at all. It was very windy up there (100km/h - 54kts) and we had a lot of rotors actually braking across our valley, and I decided to fly against the wind below two of those rotors.

On the one hand we had more sink than the variometer can display (-5m/s), lost about 1000m in about 1.5min (-11.1m/s average), and you want to leave the area as fast as you can and on the other hand you have incredible high turbulence that forbids you from flying any faster. When you see your wingtips going up and down more than 1.5m in level flight (18m wing span) you should ask yourself what you are doing there. I think the accelerometer was just shy of 4gs after that...
    Now I know how much the canopy can hurt and why you should always secure your water bottle. I got lucky that it did not brake the canopy when it flew to the ceiling ^^
    After passing under the two rotors we got some nice altitude again in the laminar updrafts, was the first time I gained almost 4500m on my own (15000ft) above the airport elevation. Also was the first and only time a passenger (an experienced glider pilot) had to eat in reverse in my cockpit...
    So I'd say worth it but not recommended :D

Thats about the max turbulence I think you will ever encounter, and that should be the upper limit in Aerofly. I don't think we had that much side forces though, was mainly up and a LOT of down component. And of course it was varying over the spanwidth so that you have to correct a lot with sometimes holing the aileron at the full deflection and still being pushed the wrong way.

• Is it always with swept wing aircraft? Swept wings give a high yaw to roll ratio and such planes are normally flown with the yaw damper on, with it off the plane will have a permanent low amplitude fishtail-roll which self reverses.

That's a good point, but it happens also with their yaw dampers on. In the Airbus it's not even possible to turn it off.

I'm more convinced that it has to do with the way wind variability is modeled. It's similar in X-Plane 10, although I rather prefer the modeling of wind variability and turbulence, and the thermals in Aerofly FS 2.

If you look at the wind vector you'll see what I mean.

Limited by Main Thread...