Discussions about possible future Multiplayer modes

• Since the other thread went a bit off topic, here is its content about the multiplayer copied over, so that we can have a longer discussion.

Since the Robin 400 is a popular towplane, is or could it be possible in multiplayer for a player+player tow for a glider? ie. the Robin is flown by a player, and the glider is flown by a player?

The major issue is the ping between the two devices. Some people are pleased with 10ms ping but others have 300ms. So worst case: each person has a ping of 300ms, then you lose 0.6 seconds just by sending the data back and forth. If you have to calculate something based on that data, you easily lose 0.7 - 0.8 seconds total. In that time the dr400 moved almost 30 meters, so you really would have to extrapolate the position of the aircraft well in order to get a smoth experience. You can't just have the towing plane jump left and right, up and down for more than a few centimeters in an instant, otherwise you would get in trouble with the rope physics calculation. Or you leave away the physics, so that the towing plane is never affected by any rope forces...
    And for a formation flight of F18s near Mach 1.0 it could quickly be 250+ meters. So when one player sees the other player at its side the other player sees him 250meters behind, unless you find a way to synchronize the times, maybe give every player itself a delay of 100ms that isn't to noticeable but still send its actual position to over the network... receieved data could be interpolated and then both pilots would see each other at identical locations.

• Wow, that might just get complicated. Hadn't thought of ping/netlag kind of things. A standard 100ms delay for all wouldn't be possible I think, that would mean you'd need massive servers if you want to calculate 10 or 15 aircraft and all their positions/physics etc.

So, impossible? Might be. Sad :D But thanks for the good reply :)

The calculation time that it takes to extrapolate the positions is least problem. The largest load would be on the (average) graphics card, you can't render than four aircaft at the same level of detail that the default aircraft have... An average graphics card simply can't handle the amount of textures (roughly 1 GB for those textures of four aircraft alone, leaves only 1GB for the scenery if are lucky to have a card with 2GB memory) and 200.000 triangles * 4 players + couple 100.000 ~= 1million triangles to be rendered at 60 frames per seconds... bb frame rate. If all players use the same airplanes, you could probably render 5 HD players to the screen... But if you want more aircraft and more variety you need to decrease the quality and start to replace aircraft models.

Since every player already calculates their own physics the servers don't have to do that at all. Their job is to synchronize the players and forward the information of a player to everyone else. Extrapolating the positions from the history of the aircafts path, current velocity and total mass is quite simple. Creating a smart algorithm that can deal with stutters or lack of information, when one player disconnects for a short period of time, that is what makes this a more difficult task. And of course the whole delay issue mentioned above.

Suggestion: Multiplayer modes
    I would like to have multiple kinds of multiplayers for the Aerofly FS 2:

• private networks with up to 5 players in high definition for formation flights or hanging out with couple of friends, maybe up to 20 players with a low resolution setting.
    • public servers like vatsim, pilotedge where you see all aircraft near by that fly on these networks, you would have to speak to the vatsim/pilotedge controllers and follow their instructions.
    • public free for all with simlified aircaft models, no voice chat here, but simple text chat. Here is would be great to have a checkbox to filter out other players by testing their realism level (no fighters, no "emergencies", no "away from keyboard" on the runways for more than 30s, if they fly to fast, to steep, or inverted => fade them out and only make them reappear if they behave for a couple of minutes). That way, if you are annoyed by other players, you don't need to see them... And nobody needs to ban them manually, you can always see all other traffic even if you are derping around.

For all of the modes it would be nice to see

• option to display all vatsim/pilotedge/... aircaft even when I am not in any multiplayer session
    • option to sync ai aircraft with the network and display ai aircraft in addition to other players

How would you like to see the multiplayer?

Cheers,
    Jan

• Since i'm mostly in it for the hope that gliding will be perfected, i'd really like it to compete with Condor on that level of physics. I would not mind models of other player being simplified, especially at larger distances (100m +?)

I can imagine Vatsim type multiplayer being a very marketable item, as well as free for all type. Excellent suggestions. If I were ipacs, i'd see what sells and make that first ofcourse. A good mix of AI craft with little physics but crowding the skies, and players can make for interestingly busy and challenging multiplayer I guess!

• Since I have flown and controlled (and still do frequently) on IVAO Multiplayer Network for a couple of years now, I can tell you that this feature (I am talking about IVAO/VATSIM connectivity) would boost sales of fs2 beyond any possible imagination. These two communities are rather large, where VATSIM is more US oriented and IVAO has more european members, until now they have to fly with the antiquated FSX or the Lockheed version P3D (basically a FSX Clone with some upgraded features) or X-Plane...
    Imagine what aerofly FS2 with these by far superior graphics could do for these communities. And best of all, you would not have to do this yourself. They have their own software developers, just enable multiplayer in fs 2, give them the API, explain it to them, they are making their client compatible and boom, you are in business...

I would love it to fly in IVAO / VATSIM networks with aerofly fs2. And I bet, a lot of others would love that too...

Just my 2 cents.

• Personally, I have never tested the multiplayer feature in Condor. Maybe I should look if I find a good video example...
    What are the main features that make the Condor multiplayer good for you, maybe the Aerofly FS 2 could implement similar things?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDTrwKWs_M0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBEJjh-pKPI

Its about doing the same tasks (usually triangles) together with other simmers at the same time, thermalling the same bubble/wave/ridge. Especially in thermals you are in close proximity to eachother.

• My vision of multiplayer is Aerofly as it is, but instead of AI aircraft, every plane you see is a real player. Planes would only be rendered on-screen when in physically viewable distance and as low poly proxies like normal AI. Maybe this is what VATSIM/IVAO are already like, I've never tried either of them.

• IVAO / VATSIM is not so much about seeing other players planes (you dont see them in the air that often anyway, more on the ground while parking / taxiing), so it is not that important, how good the other players plane is rendered. Its more about flying in "controlled" airspace, since it is just a lot more realistic to be guided down by a human controller much like in reality.
    So the IVAO / VATSIM controller sits in front of a virtual radar screen with all the (simulated) planes, this software uses the same multiplayer API than that of the Flightsims. The multiplayer protocol of both controllers and pilots is then implemented on a server, where all clients (pilots and controllers) connect to.
    This should not be that hard to implement in FS 2 (I was a member of software staff on IVAO, so I know what I am talking about).

• Personally, while not particularly interested in multiplayer, I would love to see some AI traffic up in the sky. They don't need to be doing anything complex and they wouldn't even need to react to me, I could quite happily fly right though them. It would just be nice to see the odd aircraft flying around at different altitudes. What is currently on the tarmac at airports already adds a nice element to AF2.